Small Off Road Trailer

vartz04

Adventurer
I like your suspension, how much of a load do you think it can handle. Went with trailer leaf springs on mine so it's pretty stiff. You should probably switch to an articulating hitch.View attachment 408659

Details on your trailer please. Almost exactly what I am looking for. Also how did you rig that lid.

Sorry for the tread hijack you can pm me the response

1.9TDIZook

Observer
I have that hitch sitting in a cart,soon as I get the $$$.
Found photos of the Toyota hubs...

A grease cover was made to take the place of the locking hub.
P1650768.jpg

Got a good jump on the frame work and doors today.(after the two hour drive to get the steel)

P1680663.jpg

P1680664.jpg

image.jpg

Already had to do some mods with the design.I originally wanted to have the stove slide out
but it would have been way to high and take up lots of room,so I decided to have a pull down
door with stove and drawer attached.The drawer will be 4 1/2" deep.(utensiles etc.)
P1680659.jpg

Last edited:

1.9TDIZook

Observer
Got the doors hinged and building the drop down stove and drawer door.
Look at that stove,anyone remember the avocado color craze?:sombrero:
P1680662.jpg

Folded up.
P1680667.jpg

P1680663.jpg

P1680667.jpg

One of the cargo latch.
P1680664.jpg

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
Pintle hitch and lunette ring.jpg
With proper tongue weight, a pintle hitch is fairly quiet. It doesn't have the 360 degree articulation as a lock-n-roll, but it is better than a ball hitch. And very easy to connect and disconnect.

quickfarms

Adventurer
View attachment 409068
With proper tongue weight, a pintle hitch is fairly quiet. It doesn't have the 360 degree articulation as a lock-n-roll, but it is better than a ball hitch. And very easy to connect and disconnect.

A correctly installed pintle hitch is designed to have 360 degree rotation.

On the light duty setups the Lynette is supposed to rotate

On the medium and heavy duty setups the pintle hook rotates

The Lunette on the 1/4 ton trailer rotated until they added the surge brakes. It does take a 6 foot bar to rotate it due to the spring tension. That is the reason there is a grease fitting on the casting

Robert Bills

Explorer
Great progress on the trailer and nice work. Better be careful about posting too many shots of your shop and your welding project. There's another member here from McArthur looking for a good welder in Shasta County to fabricate something for his offroad rig I need to find a guy near Redding to fabricate some brackets for an interior cargo rack for my jeep. You just might find us on your doorstep. :)

rnArmy

Adventurer
A correctly installed pintle hitch is designed to have 360 degree rotation.

On the light duty setups the Lynette is supposed to rotate

On the medium and heavy duty setups the pintle hook rotates

The Lunette on the 1/4 ton trailer rotated until they added the surge brakes. It does take a 6 foot bar to rotate it due to the spring tension. That is the reason there is a grease fitting on the casting

Mine is correctly set-up.

For what you're talking about in a military application - yes. However, if you've got a 2" receiver on the tongue of your trailer, they don't sell rotating lunette rings. You've got to go with a fixed unit that slides into your receiver tube.

They do sell (in Europe) a Dixon-Bates pintle hitch that can either be in a fixed upright position, or you can pull a pin and the pintle hitch will rotate 360 degrees. It is on my "future purchase" list.

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/8742/4304/NRC2051-NATO-HOOK-ASSEMBLY.html

Lunette ring.jpgDixon bates NRC2051-ROTATING-TOWING-HOOK-FV.jpg

Last edited:

1.9TDIZook

Observer
You Guys got me looking up pintles and swivel rings,I found a used set for $70 shipped,it's a light duty military issue.
I really like the locknroll but the pintle has a beefy industrial look I like and half the price.More fabrication but I don't mind that.

TY Robert
I'm so booked up right now,any free time is dedicated to finishing this trailer then using it...:)

quickfarms

Adventurer
Mine is correctly set-up.

For what you're talking about in a military application - yes. However, if you've got a 2" receiver on the tongue of your trailer, they don't sell rotating lunette rings. You've got to go with a fixed unit that slides into your receiver tube.

They do sell (in Europe) a Dixon-Bates pintle hitch that can either be in a fixed upright position, or you can pull a pin and the pintle hitch will rotate 360 degrees. It is on my "future purchase" list.

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/8742/4304/NRC2051-NATO-HOOK-ASSEMBLY.html

View attachment 409096View attachment 409097

You are using a "Trailer Hitch Receiver Mounted Forged Tow Eye, 10K" for a Lunette when you should be using a stud mounted Lunette

rnArmy

Adventurer
You are using a "Trailer Hitch Receiver Mounted Forged Tow Eye, 10K" for a Lunette when you should be using a stud mounted Lunette

Yes I am. What is your point?

Design and market a simple swivel lunette ring that'll work with a 2" receiver tube and I will buy the first one. Even better if you can design it with a spring to provide tension (just like the military versions). And there will be a line of folks behind me wanting to purchase one too. You will corner the market. You will give the folks making the multi-axis hitches a run for their money.

Not everyone has an M-100 or M-416 trailer to begin with. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't know of any other trailers that come with a stud mounted swivel lunette. Most aftermarket trailers have either a 2" receiver up front, or a ball coupler bolted to the end of the tongue. Most folks wanting a 360-degree hitch are using aftermarket multi-axis hitches.

On a side note - anyone here have a contact in Europe so we could get a group-buy on some of these Dixon-Bates rotating pintle hitches (NRC2051)? Seems like the shipping cost is the killer.

I've got mine (non-rotating military surplus pintle hitch) mounted on a 2" receiver hitch mount, and they sell the mounts with multiple height options (mine is "one-up").

Pintle hitch.3.jpg

Last edited:

quickfarms

Adventurer
You are using an eye that is designed as a recovery point for a lunette so if you have a failure the lawyers could have a field day. That is a lot of metal to only have a 10,000 lb rating especially when you compare it to a standard 5 ton lunette.

In all of my years dragging pintle hook trailers around, a lot of trail miles, I have yet to have the lunette on either my M100 or M762 (flatbed M416) rotate. I also have yet to bind the lunette on any of my M101 trailers.

So I think you may be overthinking this.

Is you want a rotating lunette you could use one like this

https://www.etrailer.com/Lunette-Ring/Tow-Ready/63022.html

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
You are using an eye that is designed as a recovery point for a lunette so if you have a failure the lawyers could have a field day. That is a lot of metal to only have a 10,000 lb rating especially when you compare it to a standard 5 ton lunette.

In all of my years dragging pintle hook trailers around, a lot of trail miles, I have yet to have the lunette on either my M100 or M762 (flatbed M416) rotate. I also have yet to bind the lunette on any of my M101 trailers.

So I think you may be overthinking this.

Is you want a rotating lunette you could use one like this

https://www.etrailer.com/Lunette-Ring/Tow-Ready/63022.html

Umm...10,000 lbs is five tons - we're comparing apples to apples here; what am I missing? My trailer fully loaded weighs in at around 1250lbs - I think I have a good margin of error here. And even with both my lunette ring and pintle hitch non-rotating, I've got a pretty good range-of motion with lateral twisting, and pretty much 180-degrees up-and-down movement. And we've put thousands of miles on my trailer with this exact set-up. Much better than a hitch-ball and coupler.

I would love to have a rotating lunette ring that would work with my 2" receiver tube (I think there would be a market for it). Till that happens, if I want a multi-axis hitch and want to keep the lunette ring/pintle hitch set-up (so easy to connect and disconnect), I'll need to go with a NATO (rotating) pintle hitch.

Lunette ring.1.JPGHardtop.26.jpgHardtop.25.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles