Cut 1" off of front axle bump stop on Quigley 4x4 conversion?

Maybe I'm being too simplistic in my thinking....

...the Quigely 4x4 I have only has like 1.5". maybe 1.75" before you hit the rubber bump stop. The rubber stop is almost 2" tall... Very regularly I am bottoming out with this very limited travel (I can't believe Quigley would design something with less than 2" travel before hitting the stoppers).

Why could you not reduce (cut down) the height of the rubber bumper and maybe even use a softer material... anything to lessen that solid WHACK when you bottom out.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• AxleBumperStop.jpg
    AxleBumperStop.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 15

gtbensley

Explorer
I think you could use a different style stop that might be a little more soft....But it needs to stop it at the same distance otherwise you will be hitting the diff onto hard metal parts. Agiles RIP kit sounds like a great way to go and is what I will be doing to mine at somepoint.

rayra

Expedition Leader
replace with a softer / spongier stop. Or cut less AND maybe also at an angle like a chisel tip, turning it into a sort of progressive-rate bump stop.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
The diff housing will ********** into the engine crossmember. Not a lot of room in 4wd vans with low lift heights. Quigley's are known for the abrupt ride. Freeing up room for additional up travel means cutting the crossmember, as well as, pushing the front axle forward a bit. Jump over to the 4wd van forum. Tons of info and experience over there.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
I like this idea... I will investigate what might hit if I cut them down....

Thanks

two-side chisel tip, like a 'V', keep the point of the V at the stock full height of the stop. You can always cut more off if necessary, hard to put it back if you take off too much. A serrated turkey carving knife works pretty well, in-place. Or a hacksaw if you can readily dismount them to work on them.

The diff housing will ********** into the engine crossmember. Not a lot of room in 4wd vans with low lift heights. Quigley's are known for the abrupt ride. Freeing up room for additional up travel means cutting the crossmember, as well as, pushing the front axle forward a bit. Jump over to the 4wd van forum. Tons of info and experience over there.

HUmmm thanks, this is the particular info I'm looking for.... might be I will need to go with the Agile RIP kit.... although I hate the idea of lifting another 1.5"...

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Unfortunately, it's a matter of packaging. Too many things taking up the same space. Properly valved shocks and better springs will make a huge difference in ride quality and driveability. I am willing to bet that the improvements there will more than offset the increased ride height.

Expovans.com is another option. Michael is a good buddy and can certainly shed some more light on your options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94