Importing Nissan Patrols

EarthCruiser

Adventurer
G`day All
I am a big fan of the Patrol, had a number of them at home.
We got this one from a dealer in Oregon who brought it in but did not get the title paper work sorted.
the system woks, we just follow the dots.
Copy of title ( rego papers)
make sure numbers match and inspection to make sure all the lights etc work.
Photo Jan 14, 14 04 13.jpg

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
G`day All
I am a big fan of the Patrol, had a number of them at home.
We got this one from a dealer in Oregon who brought it in but did not get the title paper work sorted.
the system woks, we just follow the dots.
Copy of title ( rego papers)
make sure numbers match and inspection to make sure all the lights etc work.
View attachment 411759

Sweet! Give us more info on the truck!!

Cheers

koly

Observer
AZ MVD, as noted below, is not easy to deal with if they don't know what they're dealing with.

All they do is type in the VIN and wait for their computer to respond. If you're VIN isn't in their system, it is a PITA.

It took my a full day to register my North American Spec Land Rover D90, and that was just changing from MN to AZ. And, as a bonus to me, since was a "Land Rover," several MVD helpful clerks informed me the registration price was going to be based off of a same model-year Range Rover – almost triple the registration fee that it should have been (AZ's registration fee is based off the MSRP & vehicle age). I lost track of the number of times I had to explain that Land Rover was the mfg of the Range Rover, and, in fact, they made other models as well.

My Europa Gwagen took even longer, and there were a lot of headaches going between NHTSA and AZMVD, with lots of letters and documentation required. Took me almost 6 months, and this was after the vehicle had already been titled for 9 years in California.

Whichever direction you go, your best bet is to try one of the private MVD service companies that have all popped up next to the emissions testing stations. They are much better at working the 'system.'

Se7en62

Adventure Seeker
I've owned 4 US-spec Nissan's in my life and loved them all: '86 Hardbody 4x4, '97 Pathfinder 4x4, '00 Xterra, and a '04 Frontier. Now that I've been building the Jeep and rekindling my love of late-80's/earl-90's design, I've actually started down this path as well. By happenstance, I had a set of wheels/tires for sale on Craigslist and the buyer happened to be a local importer of Japanese cars (Skylines, etc.) He and I have stayed in touch one the last couple months, while he sends me options once in a while: The Nissan Patrol / Safari comes in a LOT of different flavors, from lots of different countries. Canada has nice ones, Guatemala has a clean one every no and again, then of course Japan and Australia both have a ton.

Estimated costs for landing one in Texas looks like it'll be about $15,000. So while I save up some extra cash, I've been browsing what he's sent me: Safari Firetruck (RHD), two-door variants, 4-door variants, high-roof, low roof, etc etc. I'll be saving for another year, so I'm hoping to start the process of the actual purchase around March of next year, with a 01-03/93 build-date vehicle.

US Patrols Already Imported:
http://nissanpatrolusa.com

Guatemalan Patrols:
https://m.olx.com.gt/q/patrol/c-378?location=www.olx.com.gt

Anyone else who's a broker and can import these to the US, I'd really like to speak with you, so please feel free to PM me.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
You are limiting yourself a lot if these are the only countries you are looking at. TD42 is the best engine put in these trucks for diesel. TB48 is the best gas engine. Currently importable models are the 160-series, 260-series and the Y60 unless you wanted the old classic G60 which is not suited for long distance travel and is crude. Think FJ40 Land Cruisers. Short wheel base, long wheel base, pickup and high roof LWB which only came in JDM Safaris are your options.

I have a vast knowledge of Patrols having owned them for over 25yrs. Including a number that were not sold in the USA. I imported the first G60 pickup to the states and owned one of very very few SWB 160s in LHD in the USA. The Y60 or GQ as it is known in Australia is what you want. Introduced in 1988. It is an 80-series Land Cruiser with a stronger frame, larger front axle, better suspension and stronger transmission just to name a few things that are better than the Land Cruiser.

FYI, Nissan sizes diffs by ring gear size in mm. Y60 Patrols came with the H233 front and rear which is most common but also an H260 rear. A full float rear was available but not in Australia and a lot of other countries.

RHD in my opinion is not good in a LHD country but if you don't care, there is a nice JDM Safari for sale right now in Boise, Idaho.

Cheers

I've owned 4 US-spec Nissan's in my life and loved them all: '86 Hardbody 4x4, '97 Pathfinder 4x4, '00 Xterra, and a '04 Frontier. Now that I've been building the Jeep and rekindling my love of late-80's/earl-90's design, I've actually started down this path as well. By happenstance, I had a set of wheels/tires for sale on Craigslist and the buyer happened to be a local importer of Japanese cars (Skylines, etc.) He and I have stayed in touch one the last couple months, while he sends me options once in a while: The Nissan Patrol / Safari comes in a LOT of different flavors, from lots of different countries. Canada has nice ones, Guatemala has a clean one every no and again, then of course Japan and Australia both have a ton.

Estimated costs for landing one in Texas looks like it'll be about $15,000. So while I save up some extra cash, I've been browsing what he's sent me: Safari Firetruck (RHD), two-door variants, 4-door variants, high-roof, low roof, etc etc. I'll be saving for another year, so I'm hoping to start the process of the actual purchase around March of next year, with a 01-03/93 build-date vehicle.

Guatemalan Patrols:

Anyone else who's a broker and can import these to the US, I'd really like to speak with you, so please feel free to PM me.

Patrollife

Explorer

Guatemalan Patrols:

I live in Guatemala and am going to take my first steps here very soon at importing my GQ Shorty to the States. I purchased my GQ in Guatemala and did all the modifications and restoration work in Guatemala. I’d be happy to help you find a GQ in Guatemala if you are interested. Sometimes the best buys aren’t on OLX.

There is a really clean GQ Shorty near my house for sale. I can’t remember if it’s a TD42 or TB42. The paint job is clean—although I don’t like the color—and it has some bar work already on it with 35s. No suspension and the chassis looks to be in good order. There are a few defaults to the interior and like any of these older cars there will always be some mechanical work be done. I think they were asking $10,000 for it which is way too expensive for Guatemala. I bought mine for half. The best thing would be to find a fixer upper and get the paint and body redone in Guatemala. It’ll cost you so much less than doing it in the States.

Recent pic of my Shorty

a10a24c0e3b85bef0acc57de9eb50ca3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrollife

Explorer
If anybody on this forum knows a consultant or logistics company that can help me ship my Shorty to the States, I'm ready to begin this process. I'm looking for dedicated help on this.

fdox

Hi everyone, I found this old post and maybe I could get some help here. I have a Patrol that I would like to import from Honduras to register it in Florida. My main concern is the engine is not original. It is a 1992 Nissan Patrol GQ TD42 i still have the original engine in case I have to swap it to get it through and register it, but would like to avoid that. Do you guys know if not having the original engine will be a problem? I have a certification by mechanic and car is reported and registered in honduras with new engine. Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• D320A3DA-02C2-46B2-B11D-5A896D61921F.jpeg
    D320A3DA-02C2-46B2-B11D-5A896D61921F.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 533494AE-1B55-4A06-97F2-69D6E38FDA19.jpeg
    533494AE-1B55-4A06-97F2-69D6E38FDA19.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 12
  • DEBED0C2-8FDE-487F-A982-2D92C62585FA.jpeg
    DEBED0C2-8FDE-487F-A982-2D92C62585FA.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 12

Forum statistics

Threads