Albert - Class B Grampa Van Build

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
According to the door sticker it's axle code 22. Which google leads me to believe it has 4.10 gears. That should help the power.

How about cruise control? Has anyone ever added cruise control to one of these vans?
On my 2001 I added cruise control, the hardest part was finding a nice condition steering wheel.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I used a few different write ups and videos I found on the webz, but it's rather self-explanatory once all the parts are in hand.
Sorry nothing to share, but PM if you have questions

The first van I bought didn't have power anything. I didn't convert that one after realizing what a PITA it was to walk all the way around that vehicle and manually lock and unlock doors. That right there is a deal breaker for me. I tried to add cruise and could have accomplished it, but another van came along and I have dumped my efforts and money into that one. The van I converted is a V10 XLT with all options and I am so so so so so much happier I dumped money in that one vs the bare bones cargo. I put the first van into my company and now it is just a cargo van.

There are way too many vans out there to settle on something without PW, PL, CC and a decent size motor. Keep looking man. My downfall was jumping on that first one and I should have waited. That cost me $6 grand but my company needed a van anyways.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
The first van I bought didn't have power anything. I didn't convert that one after realizing what a PITA it was to walk all the way around that vehicle and manually lock and unlock doors. That right there is a deal breaker for me. I tried to add cruise and could have accomplished it, but another van came along and I have dumped my efforts and money into that one. The van I converted is a V10 XLT with all options and I am so so so so so much happier I dumped money in that one vs the bare bones cargo. I put the first van into my company and now it is just a cargo van.

There are way too many vans out there to settle on something without PW, PL, CC and a decent size motor. Keep looking man. My downfall was jumping on that first one and I should have waited. That cost me $6 grand but my company needed a van anyways.

The basic factory power options make it so nice. Mine came with cruise/tilt, power windows/locks/mirrors, keyless entry, towing mirrors etc. I actually had a power driver's seat too but ditched it in favor of the Sienna seats. The one thing I settled on was the sliding door, which I've come to appreciate anyway. My daughter loves riding in the van right by the door for the great view. Whenever I sit in one that has barn doors it squeaks and rattles and feels almost claustrophobic. And good luck getting in and out of the front passenger seat if someone has the barn door open first. Oh and another cool feature of the slider is that when you swivel the front seat around, you can open the front passenger door and the slider and really have a more open feel.

86scotty

Cynic

OP, please read this 30 or 40 times. I'm not trying to dissuade you or be negative, but you're buying something for enjoyment so try to find one that's enjoyable. You may have to wait until Fall when the fair weather crowd starts dumping their RVs but it will be worth it. I find vans all the time in Canada that I can't get. They're out there.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I'm on my fourth van, despite having the least amount of factory options, it has very key features.
108,000 in 2/2014 when I bought it.
7.3 PSD
Dual alternators.
Full floater w/ 4.10 LSD
Extended body
And a hightop.
I'm adding the factory options during my ownership.
Kinda keeps me busy lol

OP, please read this 30 or 40 times. I'm not trying to dissuade you or be negative, but you're buying something for enjoyment so try to find one that's enjoyable. You may have to wait until Fall when the fair weather crowd starts dumping their RVs but it will be worth it. I find vans all the time in Canada that I can't get. They're out there.

Thanks for backing me up Scotty. This is the stuff I wish I was told before buying a van. Finding the right one doesn't happen in a week, a month, or sometimes multiple months.

One of the things I wish I had done was check in on the vans for sale thread every single day for about six months. That thread is awesome and you can learn a ton about what is out there and for how much. You have to check in daily though because ads get deleted.

kevman

Observer
Thanks for all the feedback. I actually have been checking daily (or at least weekly) for the last year and a bit. It was the extremely low mileage at a fairly competitive price that woo'd me.

Anyway, we were about to pull the trigger on Thursday night but the guy wanted to show it to someone else as well (bidding war?) so he said he'd call back on Friday. It just so happened that on Friday morning a new van popped up for sale for $10k less. The new one has 160,000km which is a little higher mileage than I wanted but it was 1/2 the price of some comparable's around the country so definitely worth checking out.

Fast forward 2 days and a quick trip to Saskatoon later and we're van owners. The trip actually worked in our favour because I requested that if we're making a 6 hour drive to check it out that it better be there when we get there. It just so happened their phone was ringing off the hook all day. They must have fielded 3 or 4 calls in the 30 minutes I was poking around when we got there.

That and I've never been to Saskatchewan so that was neat... Haha

IMG_20170708_173747078_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170708_173736574_HDR.jpg
2002 Okanagan VC 3 (Ford E250)
5.4L V8 w/ 160,000km (100,000 miles)
Power windows/door locks and cruise (I can't believe I contemplated passing on these...)

The beauty with the VC3 is what the bubble lacks in looks in makes up for in bonus storage space. The thing feels far roomier than most E series raised roof vans. The bed over the cab is also ~72"x76" so it's comfortable for a tall guy to sleep up there.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Thanks for all the feedback. I actually have been checking daily (or at least weekly) for the last year and a bit. It was the extremely low mileage at a fairly competitive price that woo'd me.

Anyway, we were about to pull the trigger on Thursday night but the guy wanted to show it to someone else as well (bidding war?) so he said he'd call back on Friday. It just so happened that on Friday morning a new van popped up for sale for $10k less. The new one has 160,000km which is a little higher mileage than I wanted but it was 1/2 the price of some comparable's around the country so definitely worth checking out.

Fast forward 2 days and a quick trip to Saskatoon later and we're van owners. The trip actually worked in our favour because I requested that if we're making a 6 hour drive to check it out that it better be there when we get there. It just so happened their phone was ringing off the hook all day. They must have fielded 3 or 4 calls in the 30 minutes I was poking around when we got there.

That and I've never been to Saskatchewan so that was neat... Haha

View attachment 409072
View attachment 409073
2002 Okanagan VC 3 (Ford E250)
5.4L V8 w/ 160,000km (100,000 miles)
Power windows/door locks and cruise (I can't believe I contemplated passing on these...)

The beauty with the VC3 is what the bubble lacks in looks in makes up for in bonus storage space. The thing feels far roomier than most E series raised roof vans. The bed over the cab is also ~72"x76" so it's comfortable for a tall guy to sleep up there.

A few more KMs but only about 100k miles, 10k less, 5.4 vs 4.6... seems like a tough decision. Fortunate timing.

Congratulations

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Power Cab is a nice plus... I don't have it, however mine was too good a deal to pass up. A power cab wasn't worth another 5k to me when everything else was right.

kevman

Observer
Yes, rather fortunate timing indeed. If that ad goes up on a Wednesday there is no way I can get there next day to check it out and it's gone.

Congrats! That's quite a boat on top. ;)

Inside pictures of the upstairs bed?

A boat it is! And those are the flattering angles. From behind it has quite the bubble but. A little junk in the trunk if you will.

Not the best photos (taken at dusk) but they tell the story. I was wrong, extended the bed is actually a full 80". At 72" wide it's not enough for me to sleep that way but shorter guys could leave it slid in all the time and never need to duck. Without the foam it's 24" from the base of the bed to the ceiling. Cozy but worth being able to cook, hang out and/or sleep without having to move things around.
IMG_20170709_214556202.jpg
IMG_20170709_214629286.jpg

Lessons learned on the way home:
  • Didn't realize how much I use an A-pillar handle. Getting in and out of my truck, hanging off it while driving, etc. Going to have to look into something here. Or learn to get used to it?
  • Didn't realize how much I look at my tach. I knew it didn't have one but I figured with an automatic it wouldn't be important. Turns out I miss it. Add this to the to-do list one day.
  • The 5.4L is pretty damn quiet. Or at least it's quiet behind all the rattles of the cabinets.
  • The OD off light on the stick is pretty easy to miss vs. a dashboard one. See above two notes. Between a lack of tach and the quiet engine I definitely made that mistake once or twice.
  • That sail is thirstier than I had hoped. See above, haha. Ended up with 16.5l/100km (14.3mpg). That was on relatively, ok mostly, ok all flat ground at 105km/hr (65mpg)
  • Saskatchewan is flat.
  • Despite being flat there is somehow 100's of km's without a good radio signal.
  • All in all the thing drove pretty good. The suspension was a bit mushy which I expected but it was a fairly comfortable drive home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior