Albert - Class B Grampa Van Build

kevman

Observer
Build thread update:

Meet Albert, A raised roof Class B van
IMG_20170709_153409198_BURST000_COVER.jpg

I don't normally name things but we bought this van off a nice old man named Albert and it just fit.

Albert will be replacing our old Combi Camp.
P1010447 (1920x1440).jpg

The Combi Camp was great. Easy to tow, 480lbs, easy to set up, very spacious inside and a very comfortable bed. While it was a strong set up in the summer, tents and winter don't mix as well.

After a few RV ski trips we knew a van was required.
Shameless self promotion 2017 trip: https://youtu.be/4lvRGwvBa-0
Shameless self promotion 2013 trip: https://youtu.be/0HlZLlbo7s8

Like everyone our search started with 4x4 sprinters. After doing the math and being exhausted with home reno's it was decided that a full from scratch build out was not in the cards. We wanted something nice but for the price of a Sprinter we could easily stay in hotels for the rest of our outdoor lives. :Wow1:

Enter used Class B vans. There will still be no shortage of things to do to get it set up the way we want but it will have a very usable starting point. Because winter camping was a primary goal the van needed to have a comfortable space to hang out in. We also wanted a separate sleeping/living area so that we didn't need to fold up the bed every day. At 6'1" I needed to be able to stand up comfortably while cooking or moving about. A winterized water system is important for livability during long trips. However, our previous RV rentals never had a functioning bathroom in the winter so we're comfortable without that. After a ton of research and a year and half of looking we settled on a used Okanagan VC3 for it seemed to check all the boxes.

Fun stuff starts around page 5.

Original Post:

So I found a van and have a few questions. Sorry if most of this has been covered before.

The van I'm looking at is a raised roof bubble top Okanagan Ford van. Like this but not this exact one:

2003_chestermere-ab.jpg

It checks a bunch of the boxes I'm looking for. Standing room for a 6'1" guy, bed always ready, ford chassis with tons of aftermarket options, hard top for winter, etc.

I do however have a few concerns.

• It appears to have the 4.6L engine. I'm not worried about reliability but how is this thing for power? I have no ambitions to tow but mountain passes are a big deal and I plan to put 265/75/16's on. Can the 4.6L handle the aerodynamics of a bubble top with the bigger tires? All of my research shows that 265/75/16's should fit.
  • It has a sliding side door. In my experience most of these vans have dual swing out doors. My concern is the sliding door rattling like my buddies sprinter. Should I be concerned? How about insulating the side door vs. a double door?
  • Anything notable that is prone to failure to look out for in a 2004 E250? It only has 69,000km (43,000 miles)! and is as rust free as I've ever seen a vehicle in Calgary but I'm worried it's in too good of condition to be true. Haha.
  • Cruise control. It doesn't have cruise control. Can this be added after? It seems like it shouldn't be a deal breaker but if I'm going to be under powered I better at least be able to simply relax in the slow lane with cruise control.

My plans if I pull the trigger are to gut the rear bathroom and make a gear storage area instead. The bigger tires with fresh suspension components should give me the clearance and stance I'm looking for. I'll keep the option of 4x4 in my back pocket in case I ever need (want) that in the future.

All insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

PhulesAU

Explorer
Kinda suprized at the 4.6 in a 250. Herself has that motor in a f150 crew cab that tows a 16' Sportsman camper, while it doesn't like big hills it will do them. Injectors and coil pack have been changed at under 150k miles, but that's been the only mechanical problem. it's a 04 with 200k+ on the clock and a daily driver.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Fresh paint? Repainted or original?

Bring a magnet to check for bondo. Look for signs of a paint job ie. overspray.

245/75R16 fit my 97 at stock height. 265 should fit with some lift and/or trimming.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'd double check the specs myself. They also state it has a one ton chassis with the 4.6. I'd check under the hood to see... they could be wrong... it can't also be an e250 and a one ton. Given the asking price of about 20K it appears to be in very good shape. From the pictures of the interior, it does appear to have been well cared for.

I've not priced out RVs, but I'd be trying to work something out with the seller if it'll meet your needs. You'll likely be able to find better prices as the summer progresses, but I imagine you'd like something for this year rather than next.

86scotty

Cynic
I can't believe that thing is a 4.6l. It has to be at least a 5.4, in which case you'd be fine with the bigger tires and bubble top. A 4.6 in that van, extended length, full build out and that windblock of a top is going to be a total slug if it is indeed a 4.6l. I've never seen an e250 or bigger with the 4.6l either.

It looks nice and if it works for you and the engine doesn't ruin the deal then go for it!

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I drive a 2010 E250 every day at work with a 4.6 I couldn't possibly imagine adding any more weight or any aerodynamic deficiencies.
Check under the hood and actually see what's there or run the VIN number before you invest time or money into it.

If you do go with that particular van hopefully with the 5.4 in it, keep the bathroom it is so useful especially if you are more than 2 or 3 days out somewhere remote.

kevman

Observer
According to the VIN it is in fact a 4.6L. Again that's not that exact van just a similar one.

As for body damage Carproof also shows some hail damage which I could see. Without a garage it's just a matter of when not if it gets hit by hail anyway around here. Haha.

When people say total slug with the 4.6L are we talking VW van slug? Or just won't blow the doors off when you go to pass? As long as I can hold 70mph I'm pretty happy.

mallthus

Pretty good at some stuff
The thing with all the Ford modular engines is that, compared to Cleveland and Windsor V8s, they come across as weak. Truth is, they're more like Japanese V8s, in that they make their power high in the rev band, but unlike Japanese engines, they sound like they're gonna come apart at those high revs. The good news is they just sound bad...they're actually fine running consistently at high revs...make sure it's got a good stereo is all.

There are things you can do to wake up even the 4.6l, but probably the most important thing you can do when you're lugging around the weight of an RV is put it in 3rd (I think that's 1:1 on these) and appreciate the scenery. It's definitely NOT Type 2 slow.

kevman

Observer
According to the door sticker it's axle code 22. Which google leads me to believe it has 4.10 gears. That should help the power.

How about cruise control? Has anyone ever added cruise control to one of these vans?

86scotty

Cynic
There are a million of these type older class B's out there. You said it didn't have cruise either, which you want, and that leads me to believe this bargain basement converter didn't even use a power cab which likely means no power windows or door locks either. I would keep looking bro.
There are lots of Airstream B190's and late model Roadtreks, etc. out there. I'd find one with the basics you need. If the engine is questionable now you're likely going to hate it and regret buying it later.

"According to the VIN it is in fact a 4.6L. Again that's not that exact van just a similar one."

Also, this statement doesn't make much sense to me. If you have a VIN from a 'similar' vehicle, it tells you nothing specifically about the one your'e looking at. It may as well be a Toyota Camry.

If you need help finding a similar van with better options you're in the right place!

Also, post a link of where this is for sale and you'll get a lot more useful info from everyone here.

Here's one with a 5.4 and cruise: http://www.motorhomes503.com/2004-ford-okanagan-class-b.html

People selling these are completely clueless about them it seems. I just ran a quick search. One came up with a 5.4 v6? Another on an F250 chassis (with pics of a van just like yours above)? No wonder you can't get good info.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
The OP has the VIN for the van... just posted a pic of a similar van.

There is a bit more info in the actual add. For example that it's on a one ton chassis. Also that it does have Cruise Control... hmm. An indication that this seller doesn't have all the facts correct.

I've not posted a link to the sale add because that's not my place. The OP chose not to, and I'm respectful of that. It only took me a couple minutes to find it on my phone though.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
The only comment I have is, don't be afraid of the sliding door. I didn't want one either at first. But I've grown to love it. It does make a little noise, but it's much less noise then every barn door e series I've ridden in. Plus you get a great view out that window (and it opens for better ventilation, easier access in tight spots, etc.

The panel comes right off and there's plenty of room to stuff insulation behind it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz