Best Cruiser for my family

calicamper

Expedition Leader
For sure drive them both. They do drive different and are different regarding interior space. I really like the 100 series great machine. But I found the Sequoia to be a great value also.

MTSN

Explorer
Side by side oddly the 100 vs Sequoia are nearly the same footprint.

Not sure what you mean by this, but the Sequioa is much longer like a foot IIRC which is significant for both space and maneuverability off road. The Sequioa is a great truck if you need the space, but it's not a Land Cruiser and anyone who's spent time in both would agree. My dad has a 2006 Sequioa, my mom has a 2012 4Runner, and I've a 98 and 14 Land Cruiser and have spent time in all of them, and they're all great but certainly different. If the Sequioa was as good as the Land Cruiser (for less money to boot), there wouldn't be a market for the LC.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I've had / have both not my parent cars mine. The Sequoia is about 9.8 inches longer than the LC it's not enough to notice when on the trail both are wide trail rigs but not as bad as a full size.

They both share similar rear suspension travel and both without lockers have similar weakness on cross ups.

The LC has more after market stuff. Sequoia has limited after market.

calicamper

Expedition Leader

MTSN

Explorer
I've had / have both not my parent cars mine. The Sequoia is about 9.8 inches longer than the LC it's not enough to notice when on the trail both are wide trail rigs but not as bad as a full size.

They both share similar rear suspension travel and both without lockers have similar weakness on cross ups.

The LC has more after market stuff. Sequoia has limited after market.

I don't know where you wheel that 10-12" extra length isn't noticeable especially off the back end, but it most definitely is noticeable on the trails I frequent. No one is saying the Sequioa is bad (quite the contrary), but the LC is better off road and is appreciably smaller on the trail.

p nut

butter
I have a 10 year old, 2 year old and one on the way. Is the Sequoia decent off road ? does it share parts with the Cruiser ?

I guess it depends on your definition of "off-road". The Cruiser is slightly smaller, more robust, and a better off-roader. But the Sequoia can handle its own. There are PLENTY of trails you can take it, especially the 1st Gen with the solid rear axle. The newer gen has a bigger 5.7L, but it's more road oriented, designed for on-road comfort. I think a nice, clean, 1st Gen Sequoia would be a great overland vehicle. The 4.7L is a very smooth engine, with great history of reliability.
-
On the same note, I wouldn't dismiss a good ol' Suburban, either.

AggieLC

If you opt for an 03-newer 100 series dont worry about changing radios. Any decent car stereo shop can splice you in an aux cord and/or USB port. Had mine done for $45. I own an 03 and couldnt be happier. The 5 speed trans is nice. And room has not been an issue

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I
I guess it depends on your definition of "off-road". The Cruiser is slightly smaller, more robust, and a better off-roader. But the Sequoia can handle its own. There are PLENTY of trails you can take it, especially the 1st Gen with the solid rear axle. The newer gen has a bigger 5.7L, but it's more road oriented, designed for on-road comfort. I think a nice, clean, 1st Gen Sequoia would be a great overland vehicle. The 4.7L is a very smooth engine, with great history of reliability.
-
On the same note, I wouldn't dismiss a good ol' Suburban, either.

The gen 2 and later is a really wide beast too. My gen 1 is a great size. Even sits 8 adults in fancy dinner wear for fundraiser shuttle service. The 100 was my first choice but I couldn't pass up this Soccer mom Sequoia deal so ended up with the Sequoia as my J80 replacement.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I agree with Calicamper. While the 100 series is better built and generally a noticeably higher quality vehicle, the Sequoia is also compelling for how many people actually use their trucks. They drive very nicely and have loads of room. While they aren't quite as good offroad as a 100 series, the more important question is whether it is good enough offroad for your purposes. It has a good amount of clearance and travel.

Yep, the 100 series is a better vehicle and would be my first choice. But at some point, the sheer number of Sequoias available to shop and the price point make them a decent alternative - especially if you are having difficulty finding a good 100 series. A much smaller percentage of sequoias have the integrated HVAC/NAV/Audio and have AHC (the pneumatic kind, not the hydraulic type found in the 100 series).

I "settled" for a GX470 when I couldn't find a nice/well priced 100 series after a couple months of searching. In hindsight, I wish I would have kept searching for a 100 series or grabbed a Sequoia. At some point, the GX is going to get replaced with a 100 series or Sequoia. (I realize lots of folks here like the GX, but for my purposes the 100 or Sequoia is the better vehicle).

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I agree with Calicamper. While the 100 series is better built and generally a noticeably higher quality vehicle, the Sequoia is also compelling for how many people actually use their trucks. They drive very nicely and have loads of room. While they aren't quite as good offroad as a 100 series, the more important question is whether it is good enough offroad for your purposes. It has a good amount of clearance and travel.

Yep, the 100 series is a better vehicle and would be my first choice. But at some point, the sheer number of Sequoias available to shop and the price point make them a decent alternative - especially if you are having difficulty finding a good 100 series. A much smaller percentage of sequoias have the integrated HVAC/NAV/Audio and have AHC (the pneumatic kind, not the hydraulic type found in the 100 series).

I "settled" for a GX470 when I couldn't find a nice/well priced 100 series after a couple months of searching. In hindsight, I wish I would have kept searching for a 100 series or grabbed a Sequoia. At some point, the GX is going to get replaced with a 100 series or Sequoia. (I realize lots of folks here like the GX, but for my purposes the GX or Sequoia is the better vehicle).

I looked at the GX also was way too tight on space and that was my reason to switch from my J80. The GX and the 4Runner are more or less the same rig with GX boxy stuff and the funny rear swing gate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne