Rhino Rack Pioneer slot nuts on the cheap

Jhartung

I wanted to post this here for posterity. I have a universal Pioneer platform and love it. One of the best features is the super versatile t-slots for mounting, one of the worst is the insane prices Rhino charges for accessories.

Playing with dabbing various brackets, I found that standard nuts from 1-5/8" unistrut work perfectly in the slots. They provide an excellent, large bearing surface for heavy loads, come in both zinc steel and stainless, offer various thread sizes, and cost about $1 each. I found them at the local electrical supply (Platt) and also on McMaster.
Here's a link to one with a 1/4-20 hole in it, but there are a ton of materials and hole sizes.
(https://www.mcmaster.com/#3259t31/=1becric)

I've successfully mounted a few quick fists and some brackets for jerry cans. This weekend will add my chainsaw bracket. I'll take some pics and update this post to prove how well this works.

Last edited:

rickc

Adventurer
I've been trying to find the same up here in Canada; McMaster Carr don't ship up here (or at least they used not to). I'm looking forward to the pictures.

LilPoppa

Adventurer
Oh man I hear that. I have a Frontrunner rack, and was looking at the canoe carrier, but it would be over $200 by the time it got to me in Canada. The Frontrunner slots fit 13mm bolts, so I got 4 90° brackets and some small pieces of 1x4 to protect the gunwales. Just slide them in to the side of the canoe to prevent sideways motion and tie it down tight. It cost me about $10 total, and has held up on some pretty gnarly roads. I'm interested to see your chainsaw bracket.

javajoe79

Fabricator
Mcmaster is the single greatest website ever in my opinion. I run a fab shop and I constantly order from them

Jhartung

Sorry for the long wait on the pics. See below:

This is a strut nut for 1-5/8" unistrut. 1/4-20 hole on this particular one.
IMG_1841.jpg

IMG_1839.jpg

IMG_1840.jpg

Here is a QuickFist mounted with a 5/16" one:
IMG_1837.jpg

I used a couple pieces of angle to secure jerry cans (NRS strap goes over the top):
IMG_1838.jpg

And here is the chainsaw mount. I got this at the NW Overland Rally from a guy and had it powdercoated. Bar goes through the slot and an NRS strap over the top holds it down:
IMG_1842.jpg

Last edited:

Cayenne

Sorry for the long wait on the pics. See below:

This is a strut nut for 1-5/8" unistrut. 1/4-20 hole on this particular one.
IMG_1841.jpg

IMG_1839.jpg

IMG_1840.jpg

Here is a QuickFist mounted with a 5/16" one:
IMG_1837.jpg

I used a couple pieces of angle to secure jerry cans (NRS strap goes over the top):
IMG_1838.jpg

And here is the chainsaw mount. I got this at the NW Overland Rally from a guy and had it powdercoated. Bar goes through the slot and an NRS strap over the top holds it down:
IMG_1842.jpg

For some reason I can't see any pictures. Can you please share the pictures with me via pm or post them again?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
No pictures Also the web link is to a general page and not the particular part you are referencing .

Jhartung

Okay! Dropbox changed their hosting URLs so every post I've ever made is now broken except this one, which I've fixed. I've also updated the McMaster link.

ricardo

Observer
Thank you so very much for sharing..

working in the OEM World I learn very fast that "RE-packing" is a very profitable business..

I hate the ********'s that make their fortunes that way..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne