AGM battery issue/recommendation?

ripperj

Explorer
I still think the OP needs a charger capable of 10x as many amps to get the most life out of the battery. I suppose you could factor the reduced battery life with cheaper charger price and break even for a couple of batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wandererr

Adventurer
I think you may have gottten the wrong charger for your AGM. That is an automatic charger, but it does not appear to be a smart charger. I saw nothing that indicated it has the charging profiles for AGMs, and it only charges at 5amps. Schumacher makes smart chargers for AGMs (they used to make the Odyssey chargers), but that is not one of them. You might want to return it if you have not used it yet.
It's got an AGM option (with a push of a button you can get to the AGM option and the indicator lights up).

wandererr

Adventurer
So my exide battery seems to have came back to life on the NOCO Genius charger. I got it fully recharged and so far it's holding steady at 12.6V with no load on it. I'll introduce load when I have a moment to monitor it better.

Now I'm looking at a second battery because it might be nice to have two batteries (just in case). I was at OReilly and saw that they have a decently priced SIZEABLE AGM battery. Any opinions on it? It's a big mother ;) Warranty is decent - 3 years with no proration.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SSBQ/49PLT.oap?ck=Search_49plt_-1_2680&keyword=49plt

Alternatively I am looking at the Duracell battery but it has only 18 month warranty through Sam's

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/durac...e-31dtmagm/prod3590232.ip?xid=plp:product:1:1

Last choice is the Sears Platinum also with a 3 year warranty BUT I can't get as big of a battery as the other ones...

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Duracell link doesn't work. Sears is headed down the tubes, dunno how long they'll be around to honor a warranty.

wandererr

Adventurer
Sears is very tempting btw, but it is a good point that I have no way of knowing how long they will stay in business.... so a 3 year warranty might really be a 1 year or less...

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
If the battery is good and doesn't fail in say, the first year, it is probably good for a long time. The biggest reason lead acid batteries fail is chronic undercharging.

The best cure is a good solar or shore charger.

As
dwh loves to point out, there is some economic (and weight) merit to ignoring the 50% rule and using a cheaper battery, beating the stuff out of it, and replacing it early. The best example is generally that of using an open FLA as opposed to a "sealed" AGM.

wandererr

Adventurer
Reason I want/need to use sealed batteries is because they are inside of the living quarters in the trailer..... don't want a battery that could be offgassing inside...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94