GMRS? Baofeng?

sonoronos

Usually broken down on the side of the road
Instead of wasting money on these throw-away Chinese radios I'd be looking for used Vertex commercial radios.

As the owner of an FTM-400DR, I disagree with this 100%. :)

The Baofeng HT is a heckuva lot more advanced than those old handheld radios and don't have the same limitartions.

Brand New 2018 Baofeng HT vs old weird ebay commercial radio? The new 2018 HT hands down, every time.

There's a lot of weird old radio equipment out there that is interesting for a HAM and radio nut. But for 99% of ham radio dudes who got their cert for talking with their buddies on the trail? Get the Baofeng. Why mess around with old junk??

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
As the owner of an FTM-400DR, I disagree with this 100%. :)

The Baofeng HT is a heckuva lot more advanced than those old handheld radios and don't have the same limitartions.

Brand New 2018 Baofeng HT vs old weird ebay commercial radio? The new 2018 HT hands down, every time.

There's a lot of weird old radio equipment out there that is interesting for a HAM and radio nut. But for 99% of ham radio dudes who got their cert for talking with their buddies on the trail? Get the Baofeng. Why mess around with old junk??
Why? What advanced features and limitations?

I'm just talking about old commercial radios, 16-channels, frequency nimble, standard Vertex/Motorola batteries, mic. Not some collectible oddity from an Elmer's basement. Since public service is moving to digital and the narrowband requirements there's tons of these kinds of VHF and UHF radios on the market. These things are ideal for GMRS and ham.

Vertex-Standard-VX-231-VHF-Radio-v-v2.jpg

zuren

Adventurer
I bought a Baofeng UV-82 radio last year and was quite impressed with the fit-n-finish and performance. It was much better than the $100+ Wouxun radio that I used for years ski patrolling. They now have the UV-82C (Part 90 certified) if you want to use it on a commercial license. The only bad thing about the UV-82 radios is a lack of accessories, or at that was the case last year. From what I can tell, the receiver is more sensitive than my expensive Yaesu VX-7R and programming was easy using CHIRP and a $20 programming cable (just make sure it is a quality cable).

TERA makes a GMRS radio that makes the internet radio police happy and you can also program for use on MURS:

https://powerwerx.com/tera-tr505-gmrs-recreational-handheld-radio

TERA has a ton of accessories for their radios. I have since decided to ditch my UV-82 and 2 other radios and replace them with a TERA commercial radio. The only bad thing I'm seeing with TERA is that the free software from them is pretty basic (I don't see the ability to import/export CSV files - a nice feature for programming radios) and TERA is not supported by CHIRP. RT Systems does have a nice solution but will cost an extra $50+ for software plus cable.

And yes, technically, you are not supposed to use radios like the UV-5R on GMRS.....technically.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
From what I can tell, the receiver is more sensitive than my expensive Yaesu VX-7R
In the backcountry this isn't much of an issue but these Chinese radios are a new low for intermodulation interference and the ability for a radio to reject close-in signals. I have a VX-7R and even that I think is pretty poor in town. Thing is having these wide range radios is handy, no doubt about that. But the random opening squelch and picket fencing and all of that is non-existent on real commercial radios.

uriedog

metal melter
In the backcountry this isn't much of an issue but these Chinese radios are a new low for intermodulation interference and the ability for a radio to reject close-in signals. I have a VX-7R and even that I think is pretty poor in town. Thing is having these wide range radios is handy, no doubt about that. But the random opening squelch and picket fencing and all of that is non-existent on real commercial radios.

I have 2 Baofeng radios. not so good. I dropped one the other day and now its garbage. They are constantly making noise no matter what level I set the squelch. If you need a radio with any sort of reliability I agree with the others. My 12 year old Yaesu VX-170 has had bullet proof performance since day one. It was around $150 not so much for reliable coms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste