juk recon axels

I see the regular rubicon has "heavy duty axels" but the recon has "updated dana 44" any one know what the difference is. Some say they the axels form the new JL but that hasn't been released?
Also my understanding is that the recon rides 1.5 inches higher. IF this is true could I sneak 315 70 17 in there with out a lift ? maybe just wheel spacers?

xbombtek

Observer
The C's are beefier and the tubes are bigger, and they're also capped with vast diff covers front and rear.

It sits higher that the Hard Rock and Rubicon, but not much.

I'd say 315s would fit but spacers might help out.

Fwiw here's mine in the wild.
1d60426895b5951caede5c669d1e8164.jpg

Can't vouch for the axle size, but there is a big difference in the coil size. There's at least one coil turn on the new Mopar/Jeep Recon coils which aren't installed on any other vehicles. We were on a path to figuring out the coil spring rates and which coils when on what vehicles based on their accessories. Right when we though we had the numbers figured out.. Jeep goes and added a new set of front and rear coils to the mix.

View attachment 409003

These new coil numbers (Highlighted in red) are putting the 10A coils to shame. The Rubicon Recon comes installed with these coils which is 1 turn longer from the factory lift kit. Jeep is pushing these new coils to the limit without having customer purchase the 2'' upgrade kits. at that pointy all that's needed are coils isolators or spacers.

View attachment 408970

Edited: Enlarged the coil list.

Last edited:

xbombtek

Observer
I can't read that chart, but my front springs are labeled 68196006AA

1947b725c87605f60f61b1f5fb72d75f.jpg

Here's a shot of the C.

377edc443daecfcd8c050a69da7fcbe9.jpg

Otherwise, it's essentially a JKURHR. There is some accent colored trim in the cab, but everything else is normal.

I park near a HR at work and my eyeball math can't tell much of a difference. We're both essentially stock at this point.

The biggest reason larger tires will work easier is that the rock rails are shorter. They don't protrude into the rear wheel opening as much as the standard Rubicon rails do. I'd guestimate they're 1.5-2" shorter overall and sit flush with the flare.

69123e3471a0a6219515d51f470a2bd9.jpg

Last edited:
1947b725c87605f60f61b1f5fb72d75f.jpg

@xbombtek thanks much for the coil image. Guess I'm obsessed with knowing what coils are on which wrangler. Tried to enlarge the image, but no good.. However your coil's tag number are within the red highlighted area. I under the assumption that anything with the 68XXXXXX reference these new coil numbers as the older coils tend to have the 52XXXXXX numbers.

Also, a dead give away on your coils is the (AA) listed after the 09 number as these indicate the revision number and because your coils are new there's no revision update yet. The current revisions on the 52's & some older 68's (10a's) front coils alone should be AC. The rear coils have always remain the same revision or AA. So unless you're looking for the Mopar 2'' lift.. slapping on some idolaters would net that 2'' lift and then some.

Rock Rails: True I've notice on our jeep that the pinch seams have been angled off where as on the older wranglers this seam was left square and many jeepers were left having to cut this off themselves.

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
The biggest reason larger tires will work easier is that the rock rails are shorter. They don't protrude into the rear wheel opening as much as the standard Rubicon rails do. I'd guestimate they're 1.5-2" shorter overall and sit flush with the flare.

69123e3471a0a6219515d51f470a2bd9.jpg

Jeep have been making the rock rail smaller from the factory on all wranglers since around 2013 or 2014 I think.. lots of talk about this on the AEV forums.

-Dan

xbombtek

Observer
Dan, the 16 HR I park near has rails that extend noticeably more into the wheel well. Were they 3-4" longer a few years back?

nastav

Adventurer
Dan, the 16 HR I park near has rails that extend noticeably more into the wheel well. Were they 3-4" longer a few years back?

I cut about 2.5" off mine to get them slightly (1") longer than the ones shown above. There is a weld for the step,tube that dictates how short you can cut them.
I bought mine off CL for $250 and 15 minutes with an angle grinder allowed them to clear my 35". They are off a 2015 HR I believe. The proper name was mopar enhanced rock rails. Super easy to install, very strong as a step, and no drilling made them the correct choice for me vs. all the aftermarket options. I sold my original rubicon rails (no step) for $50. Love them so far.
The recon version looks great as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94