DIY Remote Oil Filter for E-450 6.0L Diesel

goatherder

no trepidation
OEM oil filter on these things hangs down lower than the oil pan, is made of plastic, leaks (at least mine did...even after the usual fixes)...and just looks like it wants to get torn off by some obstacle on the trail. That, plus it's just a paper filter and doesn't really filter oil as well as you'd hope it does.

So I found this thread...
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1012861-diy-remote-oil-cooler-and-filter-complete-with-pics.html

...and used the same filter and filter base and adapted it to the van using Parker Compression Tube adapters, Push-Lok fittings, and hi-temp / hi-pressure Push-Lok hose. OEM oil pipes are 3/4". Filter is a big-*** Baldwin hydraulic filter that uses fiberglass filter media and supposedly filters a whole lot better than the OEM paper filter. Thus maybe somewhat longer of a change interval. If anybody's interested I can dig up part #'s and all that. Here's pics and a vid:

164E797B-179D-4BA0-9FC4-12CD678C1E6D_zps18xzarvc.jpg

C5F6D840-C61D-4C18-AC4D-972721AC6538_zpsdhryatad.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
Thanks for posting this. I may have to look into adding something along these lines to my 6.4

Paddy

Adventurer
Nice filter. Too bad they cost so much! I did this to my 6.0 also, not sure how long I should run the filters before change. I’ve got about 5k mi on one now.

Paddy

Adventurer
FYI they changed the seal design on this filter. It used to be a thick square rubber seal, and they changed it to a thin o-ring type seal, which for me didnt seal as well. I have a persistent small leak at the filter head that I can’t seem to snuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan