storage system for our patriot?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I am looking at a system for our patriot. 3 Key things. Organization, slide for our electric cooler, and removable when not in use. Any ideas where to get some gear that would fit the rear of our little rig?

vartz04

Adventurer
Nothing off the shelf is going to be very efficient for that vehicle. Best bet is make a platform out of wood and carpet it then mount the fridge slide on top etc.

kojackJKU

I may use aluminum. I want lightweight. If nothing is going to be available for sale, I will break out my fab skills and make it.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Don't discount wood as heavy. I used 3/8 Baltic birch plywood for my checkbox because it is lighter and uses less hardware than 1/8" aluminum. I would feel completely safe using that box as a jack stand in case of emergency, so with the right design, strength is not an issue either.

As an aside, I also think the 3/8 was too thick for some of what I did. The next version will have a couple of 1/2" parts, but be mostly 1/4".

kojackJKU

right on...Will look into it! might make a 2 slide drawer system, add some aircraft rails for the cooler and action packer on top.

rayra

Expedition Leader
IF it's built and jointed properly you can use much thinner materials in the vertical portions. You'll only need thicker materials for load-bearing horizontal spans. I did my platform / drawers with 3/4" top decks and used 1/2" (15/32") for the rest.

kojackJKU

Yeah Rayra, your stuff is top notch....Love the roof rack platform too!! that's killer! I am going to look into the wood system more in the coming weeks...I have MANY items on my plate at this moment.!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles