Narrowing the search, ready to pull the trigger G500 ish

brammo

I am ready to pull the trigger on a G500 or G55 as a basis for an onroad/offroad for regional adventures. Not planning on continent crossing but time to get to spots I want to fly fish and want to do it in a G wagon.

I am trying to find the best value mark in terms of years, miles vs. maintenance etc.. and I would normally say I would like to find one already built so I dont have to pay for parts and labor this time around, as I have contributed a lot of cash to the church of "the build it, drive it sell it, lose a bunch but have fun along the way". However, I am not finding many G's built for overlanding or light/medium offroad, more are built for the streets, at least those readily available in the various markets.

As for budget, in a perfect world I am 50k all in including building, etc. but I have some flexibility. My problem is the pricing seems to vary pretty dramatically.

I am also trying to find the ideal year to balance value and maintenance, etc. . I have been soaking up the threads I can find on this, and I am coming to a direction, but I am opening up to ideas and opinion.

I am thinking 2005-2006 G500 as the basis, because the newest of the 5 speeds, and try to find a relatively low mile version and build it up.

As for where it is going, I love the new 2017 GD350 Professional look in EU, that roof rack is clearly the best tightest design for the truck I have seen. I would probably just get that if the TD is really as powerful as the reviews I have translated from DE.

The question I keep coming up with, is there are a TON of AMG G55's on the market, many with low miles and assuming I got a smoking deal on one of those and put on new springs and shocks, and most cases I am getting new wheels and tires anyway, this is not much different than getting a G500. I am assuming I would change the exhaust but read of at least one case here where someone went from G55 to G500 exhaust relatively painlessly. So to the question, should I ignore whether it is a G500 or G55 and just get the best vehicle maintenance and miles wise or stick with the simpler G500.

I am partial to white but can go silver but not a huge fan of black or green. This is not the decider, but just preference. I do really like the lighter leather interiors for comfort, but again...

So in summary, my questions and a couple more.

1. Any better value in terms of years than the 2005/2006 5 speeds?
2. Should I rule out Overlanding a G55 (or any AMG)
3. What are the next best years from the 2005/6. I found a 2008 that is two owner and a great price for 80k miles.
4. Does anyone know of any built rigs out there for sale ready to go?

I have done a bunch of project vehicles, including Hummers with alternative power, toyotas with LS3's, a bunch of Range Rover classics and tried hard to do a restomod FJ60 but I am not comfortable in any of the Toyota products as I am very long waisted and sit like I am 6'6", hence the interest in Range Rover and now G Wagon's. I prefer not to do a big project, but don't mind bolting on a bunch of goodies.

Ironically this picture has my imagination, and I will probably order one of these when/if they come to the US, or at worst wait for a 1 year old one, but for now that is where I am heading with a used G500/ G55 (I think!)

01-Mercedes-Benz-Vehicles-G-350-d-Professional-1280x686-1280x686.jpg
Thanks -

Craig
brammo dot com

Last edited:

vectorsc

Adventurer
I think I went the other way from your direction some. I bought a hail damaged g wagon for dramatically reduced money. This allowed me to do stupid things to it without crying - it cost me less than a cheap jeep jk used.

The pricing allowed me to get the roof rack I liked and a lot of other off road stuff like the front runner bumper, winch, arb fridge, a big solar setup, oztent etc. it has a lift for off roaring (ome) and bfg ko2 tires.

I decided agains a full roof rack. We took the truck up to a bad place, and I know we would have gone over with a 100lb rack and 400lbs of crap up there. Do love the look though.

I don't think g55 vs g500 matters too much. G55 has 1 more mpg I hear. Mine gets 15.5 highway. 12 city or so.

Also, consider a military diesel import if you are in the US. They can be junk heaps or amazing vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brammo

Vectorsc: thanks for the response. How bad was the hail damage? :) Sounds like a plan. I am looking at everyone on the market I can find.. the Europa diesel units are interesting but I do some highway cruising so like the HP, however I am going to keep looking at them.

vectorsc

Adventurer
The hail damage was bad enough to get me into the used older jeep territory at low miles.

There have been some amazing deals on cars.com lately, like a 2008 g500 with 100k for $39000 from a no rust state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles