Price check please

mulsanne79

Hi guys,

I have a guy that wants to trade in a 1976 BJ40 as a part of a deal for one of my cars.

To be bluntly honest, I have zero clue about what these things are worth. If they are rare, if they are desirable, or if they are too much of a headache.

I am attaching few photos of this car. It's seems pretty decent and drives as it should I believe.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

IMG_2791.jpgIMG_2796.jpgIMG_2806.jpgIMG_2793.jpgIMG_2816.jpg

mulsanne79

Thanks. I've been trying to look online for comparisons, but all I am finding are the FJ versions. Wondering if the Diesel versions are rarer, and maybe more desirable. No idea tho.

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
Fixed the link - there's one on that page for $35,000. Anther looks extremely clean up for auction that's left-hand drive. I'd take an average of the FJ prices, take some percentage off for their expected profit, then add back for the diesel. You may end up in the avg. FJ range in the end.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The BJ40 has the 3B 3.4 liter diesel in it, and is far more desireable than an FJ40. I've driven many many miles in them, in fact most in one the same color as the one you are looking at. As mentioned, getting a true value for it is going to be difficult, but if the underside of the body and the rest of the chassis and running gear/mechanicals are as mint as what you've shown in the pics, it would be worth as much as a brand new Toyota 4x4 to me. I think $80k is crazy, but $40k+ could fly out of my wallet if I were in the market.

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
I would recommend asking the question on Ih8mud.com under the 40's section, or comparing prices in the classified.

As noted, the value can be all over the place. The 40's like all early Toyotas are subject to rust, so if this near rust free/fully rust free, the value goes up quite a bit. Undercarriage condition is critical, because a pretty paintjob can cover big flaws.

brentbba

Explorer
I would recommend asking the question on Ih8mud.com under the 40's section, or comparing prices in the classified.

This! Portal is a great site, but MUD is only Landcruisers worldwide. Both the 40's tech section or a look through the classifieds should get you info you seek. Not many diesel LC's in the United States, so if a Yota engine and not a conversion, it could be very rare here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles