Replacing timing belt on 95 Montero SR. What else should I do?

dlstech

I have a Montero SR that with 157k on it and I'm doing the timing belt in a few weeks. I was going to use a kit but saw horrible reviews for aftermarket tensioners so I just bought everything OEM. I recently did the thermostate because the coolant arrow kept moving back and forth between 1/4 to 1/2 of the gauge. That fixed it. I also read about some small hoses behind the water pump, I plan to change those and any other rubber hoses I see.

I also plan on doing a butterfly valve delete and plugging the holes, replacing the spark plugs, and the valve cover gaskets since they are seeping a bit.

Anything else I should do while I have it all apart? I'd rather get it all done at once so I don't have to take it apart again for a while.

brad2274

Adventurer
I'm assuming you already plan on doing the water pump as well?
While you're in the front you should do the cam and crank seals for sure. flush and clean radiator while it's removed. And while you have the top end apart, take a look at the injectors, i wish i did that because i feel like i smell more fuel than i should and i've heard some cleaning can really help at that mileage.
Replace the pully bolt that fails with the updated one.
dont forget about the special tools for doing timing belt

dlstech

I'm assuming you already plan on doing the water pump as well?
While you're in the front you should do the cam and crank seals for sure. flush and clean radiator while it's removed. And while you have the top end apart, take a look at the injectors, i wish i did that because i feel like i smell more fuel than i should and i've heard some cleaning can really help at that mileage.
Replace the pully bolt that fails with the updated one.
dont forget about the special tools for doing timing belt

Yeah I'm doing the water pump and just the seals that are leaking. When it comes to seals, I only replace the bad ones. If it's completely dry, I don't mess with it.

What bolt are you talking about? If it's the crank bolt, yes I'm replacing it. But I'm not sure if I ordered an updated part # or not, I'll look into that.

As for the special tools, I was not aware. What do they do? I tried to search but only found stuff for the tensioner pulley and I have tools that will work for that.

quailchaser

Observer
I would seriously consider sending the injectors off to be cleaned. Did wonders for my truck after a rebuild. I will probably clean them every timing belt replacement for preventative maintenance.

brad2274

Adventurer
Yeah I'm doing the water pump and just the seals that are leaking. When it comes to seals, I only replace the bad ones. If it's completely dry, I don't mess with it.

What bolt are you talking about? If it's the crank bolt, yes I'm replacing it. But I'm not sure if I ordered an updated part # or not, I'll look into that.

As for the special tools, I was not aware. What do they do? I tried to search but only found stuff for the tensioner pulley and I have tools that will work for that.

Mitsubishi sells only the updated one im pretty sure. the tools are the one for tensioner pulley and the long tool most people just fab up that holds the crank pulley still while unbolting it.

dlstech

I would seriously consider sending the injectors off to be cleaned. Did wonders for my truck after a rebuild. I will probably clean them every timing belt replacement for preventative maintenance.

Where can someone send injectors to get them cleaned? Do they just need a cleaning or some sort of rebuild? It idles just a bit rough once in a while, that's why I'm doing the spark plugs.

RyanY

Adventurer
Cruzin Performance or RC Engineering both can service your injectors.

I'd use Iridium plugs and high-quality plug wires (NGK, Denso, or Magnecor) since they're a pain to change out.

Cam and crank seals are seriously cheap compared to the amount of labor it will take you to get to them if they start leaking before your next timing belt service.

It would be good to replace your heater hoses as well since you've got the cooling system apart and the upper manifold off.

Make sure to replace the coolant pipe o-ring on the back side of the water pump, it normally doesn't come with the pump itself. i'm assuming you're replacing the radiator hoses as well.

Check the condition of your fan clutch and make sure it's locking up when warm, otherwise it needs to be replaced.

There's an updated washer that goes along with the updated crank pulley bolt, you'll want to replace them as a set.

quailchaser

Observer
I sent mine to cruzin performance, but I hear RC does good work as well. Considering they replaced all the seals, it was very cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke