camper resting on tailgate down.... ok or not ok???

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
nissan titan says leave it.
0d10ad927baced56c0d6ea93fdcffc71.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Looks overwhelmed.

SoCal Tom

Explorer
Assuming that the 1000lb of loaded camper are spread evenly across the 7.5 feet of bed, then, there are less than 200 lbs of weight on the tail gate. If you and your fattest friend can sit on the tailgate, then you are probably ok. Make sure you keep any load low, and toward the front and you should be ok.
Tom

NOPEC

I have had three fiberglass campers (8'2"/8'3"s on a 6'6" bed) that are not even designed to be used with the tailgate on the truck. Taking it off works just fine, again as long as tiedowns/loading stuff in the camper, etc. are on the commonsense side. As well, your 80 or so pounds of bonus weight allowance could be used for more interesting stuff than a tailgate, not to mention saving it from a variety of abuses while running parallel to your driving surfaces. Just a thought.

yumimontiel

is this thread still active? i just started building my own. i got an 8ft bed f150, and a spacekap. people were saying it will not work because of the lenght.
but the payload technicalities, 2500lbs limit on the truck, spacekap is just 980lbs. i don’t plan on putting luxury stuff. just basic ones and light weight materials.

wondering how did it goes for your truck.D331B849-D8ED-45E7-B8B5-6F0E7731137C.jpeg

runaway

I wondered about this too. We have a Northstar Laredo SC on an F350 and have been using it with the tailgate down. We use a 3/4" stall mat in the bed under the camper to raise it up a bit and keep it from moving around etc. The stall mat does not extend over the tailgate and so the camper actually sits about 3/4" above the tailgate and puts no weight on it. But even if it did I don't think it would be much of an issue - very little weight should be on the tailgate as the COG should be forward of the rear axle, and as someone said above the tailgate should be able to hold quite a bit. Even if 1/3 of your 900 lb load is on the tailgate that's only 300 lbs which is like 2 adults sitting on it.

no one is concerned about brake & tail light blockage?

Most any camper I've seen that has the built-in or add-on rear wings has running, brake and backup lights in the wings and they operate as they would on a trailer via the camper umbilical connection to your vehicle. My Lance has a tag mounting bracket and light, as well, but I never relocate my truck tag to the camper.

billiebob

I see a red light on the camper soooo no, no worries.

and on the wieght issue, no worries. The camper is fully supported by the box.
your only issue might be the paint finish on the tailgate if you travel lots of gravel.
ps, the tailgate removes in about a minute.

pss.I don't see any camper tie downs ??
I assume it bolts down ??

very good looking unit, I'm a fan of the 8' box.

D331B849-D8ED-45E7-B8B5-6F0E7731137C.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles