Overlanding in the family van

Doug E

Observer
We've a lifted AWD Chevy Astrovan. We need at least the 35 sq feet (7' by 5') of cargo space because of the pack of big dogs (five Borzoi) we travel with. We like that we have a decent approach angle (25 degrees - yes, we've torn off all the plastic cr@p, front, rear and side), and short wheel base (to handle huge "speed bumps" the forest service occasionally builds for erosion control), but the pumpkin and the skid plate are both only 8.5" off the ground, which is enough for many forest service roads, but not all (for example, deep erosion ruts with trees on either side which prevent driving with one wheel on the center ridge and the other off the edge of road; as well as the occasional patch of monster boulders). Can any of you identify a possible replacement vehicle? I could lift more, but the front wheels at full lock rub on the undercarriage as it is, and because of that, I don't see additional lift as creating the ability to run bigger rubber.

Thanks

Last edited:

p nut

butter
Any of the full size trucks with an 8' bed. Maybe something like a Power Wagon (Tradesman). Ready to go out of the box for your deep ruts and monster boulders.
EDIT: I guess the PW doesn't come with an 8' bed. Well, a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck with an 8' bed, slight lift and 33" tires would do you just fine, I'd think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94