How to choose a battery monitor, which amp rating 30, 100, 200?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
SmartGauge is more accurate, more user friendly and doesn't use any shunt.

Only works with lead though, not LFP.

And doesn't record amps, just SoC and current, on two banks.

Pretty sure on the second bank it shows voltage only.

john61ct

Adventurer
whoops, yes brainfart, good catch!

it's voltage only on second bank.

And no current history at all, need a shunt-based for that.

QQQ

Good info guys, thx. Looking like the 30 or 100 amp battery monitor will work, will get the inexpensive one off fleabay. $300 for the bluesea is a little too spendy.

jeegro

Adventurer
Good info guys, thx. Looking like the 30 or 100 amp battery monitor will work, will get the inexpensive one off fleabay. $300 for the bluesea is a little too spendy.

Rule of thumb is take 50% off the price of anything listed on bluesea.com and shop around. I think I got mine for around $180. Yeah.. still spendy though. good luck

QQQ

Roger that, thanks for the additional info.

I have a basic working knowledge of automotive and marine 12v systems (last week had to chase down a drive trim issue on my boat with a trouble light, found a weak connection at the 100 amp fuse on the trim pump) This camper stuff with the solar and such is still new :)

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Just to Be Annoying - What is a "Monitor"?

Volt meter: Shows the voltage of the battery. Accurate when the battery is at rest, that is about 30 minutes AFTER all charges and loads are removed. Will read high when the battery is on charge and low when there is a serious load on the battery. A resting battery and a chart will give you a guesstimate of the state of charge.

Ammeter: Shows amp flow in or out of the battery. Interesting for judging the power of your charging system and the size of your loads. Does not show state of charge.

True Battery Monitor: Most are "hour counters" that measure amp flow across a shunt and then try to calculate the state of charge from a known battery size, estimated battery condition, etc. One big exception is the "SmartGauge" which does the same thing without a shunt. It measures voltage and uses a mathematical model to compute state of charge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier