Considering 1993 7.4 Suburban..... looking for input...

chasespeed

Explorer
Figure better to ask here, than a GM specific forum.

The issue is, we have a Charger, and my WJ. Neither of which, can tow.

Projects around the house are a chore if I need material, etc.

So, I've been somewhat searching....

Then, the discussion came about the need to tow something next year... som I'm looking.

Anyway, wouldnt be a DD. I have a service vehicle. Wife will drive it during crap weather(she doesn't like driving the WJ).

It's a 93 3/4t, 4x4 with the 454. I think it uses a 4L80 trans and a 14bolt rear axle.
Has 80k on it.
No idea on any other details.
We have 3 kids, and the WJ is kinda tight for longer drives.
The Charger is great, but.... pretty limited in where it can go.

I know the TBI 7.4 is nothing to write home about. But, it CAN tow, and comfortably. We aren't flatlanders so, that big block would be welcome. And I'm not really worried about gas consumption.

So, before I pull out cash, and go look, is there anything I should be looking for?
Rust/rot areas?
Etc

Thanks,
Chase

toastyjosh

Adventurer
This site has some good info on TBI stuff,

http://tbichips.com/?page_id=87

Other than that check all the fluids make sure trans fluid is not burnt smelling or black. Go for a test drive. The mechanicals is what I tend to hone in on, so for me as long as it runs ok and shifts right I am usually good.

Anak

Stranger
I have a cousin with a '95 of the same configuration. I think it has served his family well.

I think they have had some issues with door handles/hardware. Check to make sure all the doors open from both the inside and outside handles. If power locks, check that they actuate both ways on each door.

Check the heater hose to intake manifold connections. GM pretty much messed those up for that era. At least on the small blocks...I am not sure about the big blocks.

I also recall my cousin had some challenges servicing the rear AC once. He had a tough time finding someone who could get it right...I can't recall any details though.

Those are the only things that come to mind that are specific to that vehicle. After 25 years you have to get suspicious about anything rubber in the vehicle, from door seals to brake cylinders.

superbuickguy

Explorer
great, solid, reliable trucks. Their biggest weakness is the idler arm, but since they cost about $15 and take 20 minutes to change.... not that much of a trouble, however, they drive very vaguely when the idler is bad. As for the rest of the truck, you'll love how reliable it is and how solid it drives down pretty much any kind of road.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
If you can get over the hideous interior of the 93 it will serve you well, but I personally would look for a 98-99 Burb if looking for a 454 to tow with, best years for that engine with the nicer interior.

chasespeed

Explorer
Thanks for the info.

I'm gonna go check it out this weekend.

I wasn't originally looking for a Burb, and I may not get one. But, the price is mint.

The interiors on those trucks... eh....

But, it would be more for towing a boat, or camper, utility trailer(though, it appears a 4x8 sheet will fit inside), etc. mostly for work, and crap weather.

Again, thank you all.

Chase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles