BMW Paris-Dakar

PH4

Observer
Any and all advice appreciated as to differences and if one is better than the other for the BMW GS Paris Dakar editions from 1981 to 1996.

I have had a total of six bikes over my life time the last one being an old Husquvarna 250CR. I quite riding about seventeen years ago but have wanted to get back into it for the past five years. A day ride on a friends Honda XR over the Fourth of July made me realize how much I missed it.

I have always wanted a GS PD and want to know the pros and cons of the different years. All help appreciated.

I have two old Land Rover Series so older machines are fine with me. Thank you.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
The BMW R100GS PD is an excellent bike. BMW build quality, while being lighter than a newer oilhead. Great range with the big tank.

ColoradoRon, here on ExPo, just found a great one. We had a chance at the Horizons Unlimited Traveler's Meeting last month to trade bikes and go for a bit of a ride, and although I used to ride an R100, the GSPD is a nice one...

Airheads were known for some issues, such as the driveshaft twisting, causing the U-Joints to fail, front forks are a bit squishy, and the rear shock is prone to disintigrating (although mine never did). My biggest issue with the airheads was the anemic charging system, which can be remedied by an Omega 400W upgrade....well worth it.

The 21" front and 18" rear wheels are easy to find tires for, and the front really helps to go over larger obstacles. Carbs can be a bit fickle above 10,000 feet...but just keep a bit more throttle on and slip the clutch a bit and it does just fine....

Now...I like the airheads, and they are classic...but I wouldn't go back. I love the smoothness and comfort of my 1150, and the abs brakes rock.

Of course...the airhead is 200lbs lighter and easier to pick up!

The most important thing about any bike is that it just "does it" for you when you look at it...

HTH

-H-

Colorado Ron

Explorer
I agree. I went back and forth and for me, the GSPD just does it for me. I love the simplicity, the look, the ride. The GSPD were perty much all the same setup. I believe there was a tranny issue on the early ones that was fixed on later models. Heres my GSPD:

2408781588_51d12ba0c3.jpg

PH4

Observer
Will the fact that I am 6'3 cause any problems? Is it a good fit for a person of my height? Do not want to feel like I am riding a mini-bike.

Colorado Ron

Explorer
6-3 doesnt mean much. Long legs? Short legs? Gorilla arms? No arms?

You can get most any bike to fit you with some adjustments. I have a 32 inch inseem and I stand on my toes if that helps.

PH4

Observer
Thank you it does help. I am 32 inseam.

I was 13 years old when I first got the Husky 250Cr and had to stand on my tip toes to keep from falling over for a long time. In fact, the Husky kick start was on the left side so I used to put one of my Father's old army boots on my right foot and stand on a milk crate to start it.

Sounds like the height of the PD will be fine and I can adjust to make fit if needed later.

I know this is a very newbie question but how would you describe the engine? Plenty of power? Torque? I know from the Airhead posts that they are well liked but I doubt I will have a chance to test ride one prior to purchase as I do not see any PDs remotely close to Charleston, SC, for sale.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
The airheads are plenty powerful; my R100 did the trip from Phoenix to Flagstaff, with about 6000 feet of elevation gain, at 80+ mph with 20psi compression in one cylinder and 50psi in the other....but liked to sit at about 70mph.

They're not as smooth as the oilheads; however.

As for ergos, I added a bar riser, which helped tremendously. Touratech has a bunch of aftermarket stuff for 'em.

-H-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne