Why isn't anybody but Aluminess making a side ladder?

Teamoatmealpie

Observer
http://www.trucknvans.com/c-104-van-ladders.aspx

Could not these be used as a starting point and modified for side mount?

Yo, BackCountry - friends of friends of your brother - moto crew in Oregon. Where do you recommend to raft in Idaho, taking a trip with my 12 &14 year old sons mid-August. We don't want a float, we want fun stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
http://www.trucknvans.com/c-104-van-ladders.aspx

Could not these be used as a starting point and modified for side mount?

Yo, BackCountry - friends of friends of your brother - moto crew in Oregon. Where do you recommend to raft in Idaho, taking a trip with my 12 &14 year old sons mid-August. We don't want a float, we want fun stuff.

Thanks in advance.

I guess there is no reason one of those ladders couldn't be modified. It's back to the fact that I don't know how weld to modify said welder.

Sent you a PM RE rafting. It's my thread and I wouldn't even care if this one was hijacked and derailed. But nonetheless.... PM

WUzombies

Adventurer
I made my own, it really isn't all that difficult. I'll grant that it isn't as nice as Aluminess, but seeing how it cost me well less than $50 to make, I think the price was right.

F8Industries-AdventureWebSized-09.jpg

PIC4GOD

Adventurer
My thoughts are there are two reasons no one else makes side ladders. One is MPG but more likely wind noise. Two if used on trails it could cause damage to the vehicle if caught on trees or other objects on the side of the trail. I know my awning catches things often while on tight trails but it also doesn't run the height of the vehicle like a ladder would potentially causing body damage.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

sakurama

Adventurer
My thoughts are there are two reasons no one else makes side ladders. One is MPG but more likely wind noise. Two if used on trails it could cause damage to the vehicle if caught on trees or other objects on the side of the trail.

The first time I saw a ladder on a van I thought, "wow, that's so cool!" Followed immediately by, "That seems like a really bad place to put something that will absolutely get caught on stuff" and ever since I've puzzeled over the placement.

Growing up wheeling in Colorado I had three jobs as a kid; lock the hubs, fold in the passenger mirror and open the gates. If we were lucky we could sneak through just touching the mirrors when folded in. When I started wheeling on my own with an older Disco I pinstriped the hell out of it and even tore trim and mirrors off on occasion. My last trip to Colorado was my first with my van and while we went through some tight stuff the van is not narrow.

I plan on adding a ladder for sure but I'll make it myself but it will be on the back for sure.

Gregor

Corneilius

Adventurer
Finally got around to cutting my design out. Works well , easy install. I might sell this one to my buddy and make a few cosmetic tweaks.

Pics are from mock up. Its getting taken back off to powder coat and add washers to the bolts.

Edit: second picture shows it touching the body. That was prior to the lower mount. Spaced about an inch off now.

Deshet

Adventurer
Supply and Demand

Made in America cost more
Small businesses operating in niche markets like this one don't have the demand/volume to drive down prices.
If Aluminess sells 1000 ladder racks and roof racks combined in a year I would be surprised.
With Aluminess you are paying for style and functionality. (Not many people run steel wheels anymore because they pay extra for style)
The $7000 Aluminess rear mounted kitchen likely has an employees monthly salary wrapped up in the costs. Which those who can afford understand.
Most people are lacking 1 of two things to build these high end 4x4 vans......either the skill or the money....it is rare to find someone with both
I have seen less than a dozen Sportmobiles in person in my lifetime. I have seen two Ujoint builds in person. The community is small but growing.

If the community gets large enough that the Chinese companies take interest and start copying designs it will become difficult for the companies that pioneered things to keep their market share.

Thanks

mykdee

Adventurer
I know this is a old post, but as far as the posts saying that the ladders stick out to far and will catch things on the trail.... Well I guess you should get rid of your side mirrors also, those stick out further than a side ladder!

Len.Barron

Observer
I know this is a old post, but as far as the posts saying that the ladders stick out to far and will catch things on the trail.... Well I guess you should get rid of your side mirrors also, those stick out further than a side ladder!
Most mirrors fold damn near flat. I agree with the hazards of a permanently mounted side ladder...and quite honestly the lack of function having it bolted in a single position. The best solution (IMHO) would be to install anchors at all four corners that a customized portable ladder would lock into, you'd get the safety/stability of an attached ladder, the convenience of getting to exactly what you need and you wouldn't be worried about a tree branch tearing your well built $400 ladder and $2000 worth of van body apart..

86scotty

Cynic
I’ve offroaded with a side ladder lots and never had any trouble. I recommend responding to the obstacle and not letting it tear your ladder off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kibo

The collapsible feature on the Opt Overland ladder is pretty slick and pulls the ladder closer to the body when not in use. I have mine mounted ahead of the rear wheel on the side, but mounting it behind the wheel (still on the side) is also an option for EB vans. The ladder in its folded position just clears the driver's side pop-out window on my passenger van. I bought the ladder more for looks than out of necessity, but I've found myself using it more than I expected. Very well built, and reasonably priced for what you get IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior