Why isn't anybody but Aluminess making a side ladder?

Sure, the Aluminess is great. But $412 worth of great I'm not so sure. With all of these new custom van companies popping up, somebody has to be working on a good $150-$250 option. I sure haven't seen anything new surface yet.

I'll be first in line for a nice side ladder that is a little more affordable. Bueller... Bueller...

Village Idiot
Funny you mention this. The van I bought came with a rear ladder that was making my rear door leak. The part that hooks on top of the door was too wide and causing the door not to seal properly.

I can weld aluminum, and was thinking of building my own side ladder. Maybe I should put that farther up the list of things to do.

Goonie

Funny you mention this. The van I bought came with a rear ladder that was making my rear door leak. The part that hooks on top of the door was too wide and causing the door not to seal properly.

I can weld aluminum, and was thinking of building my own side ladder. Maybe I should put that farther up the list of things to do.

Go for it! I built a side mount ladder out of 1" square 1/8" thick steel tubing and it was less than 20 lbs in weight, i imagine an aluminum could be slightly lighter.

It's in the Australian configuration in this picture :)
17796604_10154254850431783_3412222636206798449_n.jpg

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
A ladder is a pretty simple thing, get the box tubing, cut it yourself, looks like about 24 welds on that one above or less, any fab shop can weld it if you can't, $10 a weld = $240 plus cost of steel, maybe $280.00 at the worst.

I've also seen boat ladders adapted :)

Corneilius

Adventurer
I think a reputable 4wd van convertor could easily produce a quality ladder at a reasonable price point. Maybe to match their roof rack offering. cough cough

mgmetalworks

Explorer
$150-$250 is super low margins... Not worth the effort unless the right profitability is there.

The only way to drive the costs down is volume and I don't see enough demand to justify large production runs. I've only had 2-3 ladder inquiries in the last several years

Corneilius

Adventurer
$150-$250 is super low margins... Not worth the effort unless the right profitability is there.

The only way to drive the costs down is volume and I don't see enough demand to justify large production runs. I've only had 2-3 ladder inquiries in the last several years

Yeah I wasn't specifically referring to you. Im sure you'd come up with a really cool product but you seem to have enough things going on at the moment.

BobbyJones

Observer
I think you're looking at this the wrong way.

At $412, the Aluminess one is a bargain. See Ozarker's math above

MG- are there even margins at $150-250?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz