GAIA won't delete saved maps

Scoutn79

Adventurer
On Android GAIA won't let me delete maps. If I go to the "maps" page, pick the saved map I want to delete and click delete I get a pop-up window that says"deleting map downloads" and a circle icon spinning but that is it. Each time I try the app gets stuck right here. I have to do a force stop to get the app to be usable again. I even let the app run in this "stuck" position for 12 hours and it still didn't delete the map.
I even tried going into the system files for the SD card (at least as much as a tablet will allow, and the files seem to be hidden so I can not delete them from the Micro SD card directly.
Does anyone have a work around for this?

Darrell

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Not that I've had any experience with the GAIA mapping system, I did locate the source:

https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003525127-Download-Maps-for-Offline-Use

If there isn't anything on the above page that can help you, it's always best to submit a support topic via the site and explain your issue.

Thanks for looking and linking but those directions and accompanying photos are IOS based and Android is lightly different...although the basics are still the same...and do not work, at least for me.
I have sent a request and log files, many actually, for the many bugs in the Android app.
Sometimes people who actually use a product have more user knowledge than the people who just right the code.

Darrell

Question: @Scoutn79 just wondering how are you trying to delete the maps?.. Are you just trying to access the map from the smart phone or have you tried to access any maps stored on your device with a connection to your computer. I have a feeling if the maps are stored on a main servers via the GAIA server as these might require a bit more tact to delete on the server side and not your smart phone. But if the maps are stored on your device but the screen isn't allowing one to delete these maps, use a USB cable connection from your computer to your device as means to access maps in this manor. then delete. I do this routinely with my smart device just to save space.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Trail Badger.
These maps are the ones I have downloaded to the micro SD on the tablet for offline use after they have been downloaded from GAIA or GAIA's links to there servers.. I am not storing anything on the GAIA cloud.
I will try your method and see if things are faster.
It seems that I am now able to delete the maps but it takes about 2 hours, yes I timed it, to delete about 2 meg (not GIG) of info. I can delete a 2GIG movie form this same card, on this same tablet, in about 20-30 seconds. Not sure why GAIA takes so long.

Darrell

Last edited:
@Scoutn79 thanks for the clarification I wasn't sure if you're trying to delete something that was directly associated to your device or you had to login to a dedicated server and try to delete these maps. Again, connect the device to your computer, might come up as a "media file" and display this on the windows media player. Simply close the media player and locate the device in the left side tool tray. It could read the device's name or ID letters unless you've renamed it.

In other words, I've renamed my LG smart phone and upon connecting to my UBS the computer shows the device in the left side tool tray. From here explore the listed and accessible options or folders. IF you said you have the maps stored on the SD card, then locate the devices SD card and selected the maps assuming they are listed and labeled correctly.

Important The SD card may have a write protection tab located on the card itself.. Eject the card and lcoat to see if it has the tab. Click the tab in the other direction and insert the card again. However, If the card is corrupted you might need to run a Chkdsk.exe in order to correct any issues. Then try the card in the device again.

Alternatively, you could try to remove the SD card and using a Card reader, connect the reader to the computer in this manor and delete the files/folders.

If you need me to work up a detailed How to with images let me know.

Last edited:

Scoutn79

Adventurer
@Scoutn79 thanks for the clarification I wasn't sure if you're trying to delete something that was directly associated to your device or you had to login to a dedicated server and try to delete these maps. Again, connect the device to your computer, might come up as a "media file" and display this on the windows media player. Simply close the media player and locate the device in the left side tool tray. It could read the device's name or ID letters unless you've renamed it.

In other words, I've renamed my LG smart phone and upon connecting to my UBS the computer shows the device in the left side tool tray. From here explore the listed and accessible options or folders. IF you said you have the maps stored on the SD card, then locate the devices SD card and selected the maps assuming they are listed and labeled correctly.

Important The SD card may have a write protection tab located on the card itself.. Eject the card and lcoat to see if it has the tab. Click the tab in the other direction and insert the card again. However, If the card is corrupted you might need to run a Chkdsk.exe in order to correct any issues. Then try the card in the device again.

Alternatively, you could try to remove the SD card and using a Card reader, connect the reader to the computer in this manor and delete the files/folders.

If you need me to work up a detailed How to with images let me know.

Thanks for the offer. I understand everything you are saying.
I can access the tablet and the micro SD card but deciphering the files in there is going to take some figuring. When the Samsung Tablet formats the SD card it put on almost 2G of crap then on top of that I have another 20G+ of stuff I have added, (most of it is just movies) and a few maps at 2G each books etc.

Darrell.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
You say you have nothing synced with the cloud correct? You might want to do that, there is no charge. Then you could manage all of your tracks and maps from gaiagps.com. Delete what you want and then sync the app.

Don't be afraid to submit a ticket to support. https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/categories/115000704567-Android
thanks I might try using the cloud. that wasba sugwstiom from the GAIA tram as well.
I do submit bug reports.

Darrell

1Louder

Explorer
thanks I might try using the cloud. that wasba sugwstiom from the GAIA tram as well.
I do submit bug reports.

Darrell

Sounds good. I just find managing large amounts of data easier via the cloud site vs the device. There are ways to force your device to sync if the normal route does not appear to work.

JOSX2

Observer
hey @Scoutn79 ....have you had any luck with this? cause my samsung tablet does the same exact thing. reaaalllly annoying.

Question: what type of SD card are you currently using with your Samsung?..

We've taken the plunge and purchase the Tab A 8.0 I located a micro SD card for the tablet and although the max limit on memory is 126 GB we opted for the 64 GB instead. Researching, we've made sure the SD card is "A1" applicable.. meaning it's been designed for better app transfer etc. Not only checking for the A1 status, we made sure the SD card has the highest transfer rate possible or the 100MB/s Look for the circled 10 & the "U" 1 symbols on your card. I can't say it's your card, but having the incorrect card mounted in your tablet could be just one reason something isn't working correctly.

roving1

I am having the same problem on a nexus 6p with maps on the internal memory. I have gigs of stuff I need to delete and it either hangs or processes for hours and the map remains.

roving1

Well I logged into the phone browser and deleted the maps off of the Gaia server that way and it worked and was quick. But then the Gaia app just kept crashing even if a rebooted.

I decided to just start from scratch so I went into the browser and deleted all my maps and uninstalled and reinstalled Gaia. That seemed to work and after a really long sync session all tracks and stuff were back.

Then I went about downloading the 10GB or so of maps I still wanted. But at least I was finally able to get rid of at least 40GB of stuff I had on my phone that I could not get rid of.

So I will try line item deleting from the server through the browser again and see if it works in smaller chunks from now on.

FWIW it looks like my downloads are working better after reinstalling too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles