Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Midnightsun

Adventurer
Hell yea RWB_runner!! Is that beer on table? Dang man. Still dreaming here. But we're getting ready to shove off on vacation to the Grand Canyon for couple weeks. Gonna run our jeep alittle. Will pick back up on trailer when we get back. I've ask northridge couple times about stat on trailer with not much of an answer

Can't wait to see what everyone else's ideas that are in store. It took just a little over a month to get mine, but I was lucky to get the first one on the east coast.
Enjoy your trip Midnightsun!
To answer your question, yes it is ;)
I have even thought about buying a second dedicate beer fridge for the trailer.
That's getting a little redicilous though.
Cheers
Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 10.18.45 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry if I keep blowing this up, I guess I should make a build page.
One last thought.
I plan on moving the spare tire over more to the passenger side, and adding a 20 lb propane bottle. This still leaves more than enough room to open both doors.
Then I want to add a hot water heater.
Seeing as the stove is already right there it seems like the most logical place to setup a pelican case to hose the hot water heater.
I'm not loosing that much turning radius due to the tounge jack. I will play around with it, but the tank will be mounted there.
I also might mount both jack to the opposite side of where to tounge jack lays. I don't know yet...
IMG_5577.jpg
IMG_5578.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5577.jpg
    IMG_5577.jpg
    548 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_5578.jpg
    IMG_5578.jpg
    546.8 KB · Views: 247

Silverback07

Adventurer
Modified the stove drawer, removed the latch and covered it up with some plate with a finger hole in it. Found a place to store a shovel and ax and keep them from being walked off with. Also built a fuel and water can holder for the tongue. Plan to do some more modifications to the tongue mount (cutting and rewelding the corners to match the lines of the tongue).

IMG_9499.jpg

IMG_9500.jpg

IMG_9477.jpg

Midnightsun

Adventurer
Jerry cans look nice. I wondered if you could set them like that. Are there fold down legs on the 2 big sliders in back? One side is gonna be my pull out kitchen and other will carry my fridge

Midnightsun

Adventurer
Not sure what I'm gonna use stove drawer for. I grew up in Alaska prob stick my chain saw in there I never leave home without it!

Midnightsun

Adventurer
I'm gonna mount my water heater inside a fake Jerry can. Pull Jerry can straight up and it will reveille the water heater

Wynn

Wanderer
At it's price point I think this trailer is very competitive, especially factoring in discounts. It's a perfect platform to build up for light off-road use. Compared to the competition once kitted with tent, awning, battery backup, kitchen, and modifications it could be under 10k. My concern is someone mentioned seeing rust already on their new trailer. There's also a YouTube video mentioning the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichardPT

Richard
On the topic of rust - I just came back from couple trips that involved extended gravel type logging road travel. Once I managed to clean the trailer I noticed that fenders and I'm sure some other areas are covered in tiny paint chips from flying rocks. Also I can tell you that any rack tubing (awning or tent rack) that gets to slide once in a while will have the shiny black paint stripped off very quickly. I've been trying to do pain touch ups before but I have a feeling this is a loosing battle. After all this is a "trailer" and not a fancy car so it's bound to have rust on it.
I'm interested in other members opinions - do the more expensive trailers have more durable paint application? Is there a better way to protect the vulnerable areas from harsh "off-roading" environment?
Couple pictures for your enjoyment :)

Attachments

• IMG_3202.jpg
    IMG_3202.jpg
    558.4 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_3204.jpg
    IMG_3204.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_3205.jpg
    IMG_3205.jpg
    570.6 KB · Views: 229

brian90744

American Trekker
Paint Chip

RichardPT, I'm interested in other members opinions - do the more expensive trailers have more durable paint application? Is there a better way to protect the vulnerable areas from harsh "off-roading" environment

It happened to my M416 also, the secret Mud flaps on the tow unit. =brian

Attachments

• desert truck1.jpg
    desert truck1.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 127
  • frt trailer.jpg
    frt trailer.jpg
    471.8 KB · Views: 123

rnArmy

Adventurer
Yukon Dempster.1.JPG

I don't care what you coat a trailer with. Short of some heavy-duty rubberized covering, off-pavement your tires are going to be shooting rocks and gravel and sand at your trailer like they're coming out of a sand blasting hose. Large mud flaps will help (on both tow vehicle and trailer), but otherwise expect damage to paint, side marker lights, and tail lights (if they're not flush mounted into the back of the tub).

We ran the Dempster Highway in Canada pulling my trailer behind a Jeep ZJ without mudflaps (my gross oversight), and not only did it do a job sandblasting the paint off anything it could reach (pretty much had to repaint the frame of the trailer and the axle), it also bounced rocks off the front of the trailer and they were hitting the back window of the Jeep putting little nicks in the glass.

It also pulverized the trailer side marker lights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles