Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Midnightsun

Adventurer
Wow. I appreciate the compliments. I'd like to take credit for the design but I come across a guy in Australia called Drifta that makes quite a few different portable kitchens and thought they were very cleaver in fact 5-6 pages back in this thread I mentioned him but I took his ideas and the amount of space I had and mashed them together https://youtu.be/QZhoZ9eZBXA There is a YouTube vid of the kitchen I took most my ideas from or just google Drifta kitchens and you can see all his stuff. He is a good thinker no dought

Midnightsun

Adventurer
I'm not sure how the door would hold up with anything extra hanging on it. It's pretty flimsy.

I'm not gonna hang more than 35 lbs on door and it will be close to hinge side of door. My door seems pretty stought is is pressed 14 gauge steel with stiffener run threw middle on inside. The hinges are thick machined aluminum 6 bolt hinges. I have no prob hanging 2-2 gal water rotopax. 1 gal water 8lbs X 4 = 32lbs plus 3 lbs plastic. Think I'll be ok My thinking anyhow

Midnightsun

Adventurer
I got everything for kitchen at lowes 2 sheets birtch ply board used 2 sticks of conduit for legs 1/2 -3/4. Piano hinges , L brackets for clips only thing I couldn't find were the goofy bungee loop hooks but got them from Amazon Stayput Bungee / Shock Cord Fastener's, Black w/ White J-Hook Attachment, spent 174$ on everything as opposed to buying one for 1000 bucks and not sure he even ships to US

Midnightsun

Adventurer
Kitchen looks great, you need to do a write up on it! How long does it take to set up?

Takes Mabey 20 seconds to set up. Not much at all. Best part is all your cooking stuff and most dry foods stay inside ready to use and I have fridge right next to me. Can prob flip pancakes right threw the rtt window right above me to my wife

Midnightsun

Adventurer
Next project is large shelf above kitchen box and fridge I purposely have 6 inches of head room. I'm gonna bolt a wooden cleat around inside , use the left over 1/2 birch ply board for shelf. Should give me enough room for rifle , couple chairs , little pop up shower ect

Tkhawk

Adventurer
I ran power into the tent this past weekend. There is plenty of room at the corner where the tent folds, but it takes careful planning and a lot of zip ties to run it where it won't get pinched but have plenty of slack. I ran an 18" long led tape light and a dual usb plug with a voltage readout so I can keep an eye on my batt level from my sleeping bag. I didn't think you get pictures until I had already closed it back up.
20171023_190517-2016x1512.jpg

Silverback07

Adventurer
I was looking at mine a couple days ago and realized it would work, thanks for the idea. What tent are you using? I will wire mine up next time I open it up.

Tkhawk

Adventurer
CVT mt Rainer, I need to extend my rack like you did. I've got too much overhang in the front and the floor deflects pretty bad with any weight in the front corner.

Midnightsun

Adventurer
image.jpgimage.jpg

I finally received my tent this morn. Knock on the door at 6 45 am. Thinking something up? Open the door and tears of joy. Now I'm getting somewhere. Might be doin little test camp in the back yard this weekend with the wife

Tkhawk

Adventurer
Midnightsun, Looking good!

I did a little playing around on the computer at lunch working on a concept like Silverback07's idea for a rear swing out. Its got a 2x6 under the back of the trailer sticking out 4" on the sides and 4" out the back. The passenger side would get a spindle with a pin dropped on the drivers side. Under the rectangle tube, I'd run a receiver tube all of the way to the front, I need to check elevation but would possibly replace the current front receiver with this one. Then two more tubes up to where the suspension attaches, possibly 4.
Capture4.JPGCapture5.JPGCapture6.JPG

I can't decide between this and reinforcing the door and frame and just hanging the tire off of the door. 1-1/2" square tube would tuck inside of the current opening. Some heavy 1-1/2" and plenty of weld should stiffen it up enough.

Midnightsun

Adventurer
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

You ever look at these trailers? Bvd out in Arizona a guy builds these. I almost went this route before I saw Smittybilt and 1/2 the price. But he has nice swing out tire carrier and doubles as table

Midnightsun

Adventurer
The more you 2 talk bout that the more I think I'd like to get jeep tire off the back of jeep and onto back of trailer. When I take off in jeep with out trailer put spare back on jeep. Be excellent weight distribution

Silverback07

Adventurer
Midnightsun, Looking good!

I did a little playing around on the computer at lunch working on a concept like Silverback07's idea for a rear swing out. Its got a 2x6 under the back of the trailer sticking out 4" on the sides and 4" out the back. The passenger side would get a spindle with a pin dropped on the drivers side. Under the rectangle tube, I'd run a receiver tube all of the way to the front, I need to check elevation but would possibly replace the current front receiver with this one. Then two more tubes up to where the suspension attaches, possibly 4.
View attachment 422400View attachment 422401View attachment 422402

I can't decide between this and reinforcing the door and frame and just hanging the tire off of the door. 1-1/2" square tube would tuck inside of the current opening. Some heavy 1-1/2" and plenty of weld should stiffen it up enough.

Nice work! I was also thinking about adding a section of tube down the side to help support the tire pivot but also to give us a lot more surface to weld to.

I picked up this swingout bearing assembly a while back and its been just collecting dust in the garage. Plan is to use it. https://www.comp4x4.com/collections...-hinge-kit-with-dual-shear-bracket-heavy-duty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles