Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Tkhawk

Adventurer
I roll mine around in the garage, the tongue jack has a wheel on it so you don't have to pick the tongue up.

If you have a trailer you can meet the truck at the nearest shipping hub and they'll put it on the trailer for you.

Silverback07

Adventurer
So you hired a wrecker service?

It was delivered as a crate to the local 4WP. Had a rollback pick it up and drop it off. Much easier than bringing a 18' car hauler and then trying to figure out how to get it off it. When it was delivered as a crate the casters where not on the crate. That being said I have the casters and they will work well for a future project.

Silverback07

Adventurer
Can you pick up the tongue and maneuver the empty trailer around a level driveway or parking lot?

Are you assuming you are getting a fully assembled trailer? If it was fully assembled it would all depend on "how big a boy are ya". Thing is tongue heavy. I'd say picking up the tongue to move it is not an option for most folks. Secondly, the jockey wheel it comes with sucks at best.

Baja71

Are you assuming you are getting a fully assembled trailer? If it was fully assembled it would all depend on "how big a boy are ya". Thing is tongue heavy. I'd say picking up the tongue to move it is not an option for most folks. Secondly, the jockey wheel it comes with sucks at best.

No, I meant after assembly. I have a bit of a bottleneck on my driveway already and I was hoping I could back it up, disco it, and roll it back into a corner manually. It does look very front heavy. I won't count on being able to maneuver it that way then.

Baja71

It was delivered as a crate to the local 4WP. Had a rollback pick it up and drop it off. Much easier than bringing a 18' car hauler and then trying to figure out how to get it off it. When it was delivered as a crate the casters where not on the crate. That being said I have the casters and they will work well for a future project.

I'm not familiar with this type of delivery service. It's not a rollback from a wrecker company? Who would you call?

Baja71

I roll mine around in the garage, the tongue jack has a wheel on it so you don't have to pick the tongue up.

If you have a trailer you can meet the truck at the nearest shipping hub and they'll put it on the trailer for you.

I've done transfers like this with a trailer, a Bronco body, and an engine hoist a few times but the whole nature of this lump of steel on casters concerns me.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Mine goes in the garage backwards and needs a 180 before pulling it out. It does so to better fit. It is easy to spin it on level surfaces, but I would be cautious when on an incline until you get the hand brake working. There is a noticeable difference in moving it after the spare went on the back.

Baja71

Mine goes in the garage backwards and needs a 180 before pulling it out. It does so to better fit. It is easy to spin it on level surfaces, but I would be cautious when on an incline until you get the hand brake working. There is a noticeable difference in moving it after the spare went on the back.

That helps, thanks. Makes you wonder what the tongue weights are getting up to when fully loaded. I've not heard of any tracking problems, so that's good.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
That helps, thanks. Makes you wonder what the tongue weights are getting up to when fully loaded. I've not heard of any tracking problems, so that's good.

It tracked beautiful before the rear swing spare, and now as well. I estimate before it was over 200 pound. Maybe twofitty.
It moves around very well.

Silverback07

Adventurer
I'm not familiar with this type of delivery service. It's not a rollback from a wrecker company? Who would you call?

Yes, from a wrecker service. Mechanics use rollbacks and wrecker service companies to move their huge roll-around tool boxes all the time. Basically same thing I did but I didn't have casters on my crate when we did it.

Silverback07

Adventurer
The tongue on my trailer is WAY above 200 lbs. I'd say over 500 at least when its loaded up. But there is also a lot of extras (group 31 battery, 10 amp shore power charger, 15 gallons of fuel and 15 gallons of water, plus my RTT is a Summit series which adds about 100 lbs over the standard version.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Electrified Smitty.....
Holes were cut. This one for the marine switch/fuse/outlets.
IMG_7574.jpg
IMG_7575.jpg

Then the Genius Marine shore power plug....
IMG_7577.jpg
IMG_7578.jpg
IMG_7579.jpg

Then the Interstate AGM deep cycle 35 amp/hr was installed ( DCM00035)
IMG_7580.jpg
IMG_7581.jpg

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Then the mighty Genius Shore Marine power Charger/maintainer.... ( Thanks for the suggestion Silver) It is a big bastard, but a great unit.
Took a bit of grind off a M8 socket to get the bolt heads on the outside for an OEM look.
IMG_7582.jpg
IMG_7583.jpg
IMG_7586.jpg
IMG_7587.jpg

Then power was applied for the first time.....Whoooooheeeeeeee.... she lives.
IMG_7588.jpg
IMG_7589.jpg

Then shore power was plugged in...
IMG_7590.jpg

Then a bit of clean up...
IMG_7593.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles