Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

MN_Disco1

I am in the same boat as the OP. After our last trip with the Kodiak Canvas tent a trip loaded and ready to go seems nice. Does anyone know of a place that would have these on the lot to kick the tires. This type of trailer is a pretty rare occurrence in MN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dixie1865

Observer
Durability vs. value is my only concern with this trailer. Knowing that most of the sourcing and production were done with a specific price point in mind gives me pause for long term ownership...and running my favorite stretch of Saline Valley Rd. with no structural issues.

I've witnessed that section of country claim one Chinese trailer build...

View attachment 410076

Is that Chris's trailer?

Al_In_AV

It's not bad for the price. I think most of the overland trailers are overpriced anyway. So this is a good price point for anyone that doesn't want to spend an arm and a leg for a ready made expedition trailer. There are people out there that don't want to or can't afford to spend over $10,000 or more for something similar.

Jeepinaaron

Adventurer

I don't agree with the "its Smittybilt" BS. I think the company has turned around somewhat. Back in the day when I first bought my TJ in 1999 they were basically known for chrome and tube bumpers. I think the company has tried to change their image. I went out on a limb and purchased their XRC winch and its never let me down.

Just my opinion. If someone wants to bash a company I want personal experience, I'm not saying you are wrong, but back it up.

JandDGreens

Adventurer
I agree, I have several Smittybilt products and am happy with all of them. The reviews of their roof top tents are all mostly very positive and thier short falls were not deal breakers. If I wasn't building my trailer I would consider theirs as well. I am looking forward to buying their tent for my trailer some day.

Tkhawk

Adventurer
Well I sold the bike last night so now I've got the funds to put towards a trailer. Back on prime day a vendor had all of their Smittybilt stuff 10%off. So unless I find something used that I like before they go back on sell again I'll probably be ordering one during the next sell.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Durability vs. value is my only concern with this trailer. Knowing that most of the sourcing and production were done with a specific price point in mind gives me pause for long term ownership...and running my favorite stretch of Saline Valley Rd. with no structural issues.

I've witnessed that section of country claim one Chinese trailer build...

View attachment 410076

I was completely unaware that off road trailers from China were being imported. The Saline Valley washboards are really destructive. What broke on the Chinese trailer? Is the story in a thread here on the Portal?

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
I don't agree with the "its Smittybilt" BS. I think the company has turned around somewhat. Back in the day when I first bought my TJ in 1999 they were basically known for chrome and tube bumpers. I think the company has tried to change their image. I went out on a limb and purchased their XRC winch and its never let me down.

Just my opinion. If someone wants to bash a company I want personal experience, I'm not saying you are wrong, but back it up.

1 - Smittybilt SRC bumper - Holes did not line up. Sent it with grade 5 hardware (replaced the hardware with proper grade 8 nuts and bolts). Texture started flaking off after about 6 months. Started to rust after 1yr

2 - Smittybilt bikini top - The fit was laughable. Sewing was crooked and bunched up on the driver rear side. Exchanged it and the next one started fraying in less than one summers of use.

3 - Smittybilt replacement soft top - Where to even begin. Garbage zippers/pullers. A seem started to come apart during install. Flapped worse than my 8yr old factory soft top. Returned it and paid a few more bucks and got a decent Bestop.

I got burned by smitty products 3x and NEVER AGAIN. Outfit your rigs with cheap Chinese products all you want.

Last edited:

dixie1865

Observer
I was completely unaware that off road trailers from China were being imported. The Saline Valley washboards are really destructive. What broke on the Chinese trailer? Is the story in a thread here on the Portal?

I'm not sure that was a "Chinese" trailer. It looks like ChrisHaynesUSA trailer (he's on here with that screen name). It looks like his trailer and him in the pic. I seem to recall the A frame of the tongue broke where it was welded to the main part of the frame. I remember when he broke it (was not there) and cannot seem to find the back story. He list the trailer as "custom" and the frame/ tongue has now been strengthened.

Ghost65 may be along to correct me if he was there

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I'm not sure that was a "Chinese" trailer. It looks like ChrisHaynesUSA trailer (he's on here with that screen name). It looks like his trailer and him in the pic. I seem to recall the A frame of the tongue broke where it was welded to the main part of the frame. I remember when he broke it (was not there) and cannot seem to find the back story. He list the trailer as "custom" and the frame/ tongue has now been strengthened.

Ghost65 may be along to correct me if he was there

Dixie1865 is correct that it is Chris Haynes' trailer

Trailer1_zpsvfha4fpj.jpg

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/47076-rig-of-chrishaynesusa/page4

teotwaki

Excelsior!
It appears to have been one of two trailer's built in China, maybe custom, dunno. Found this clue: "....got it from Miles(catch22) he had two of them made in china.
half the price of the adventure trailer"

So someone can ask Chris for more details if they need them. :sombrero:

dixie1865

Observer
It appears to have been one of two trailer's built in China, maybe custom, dunno. Found this clue: "....got it from Miles(catch22) he had two of them made in china.
half the price of the adventure trailer"

So someone can ask Chris for more details if they need them. :sombrero:

Then I stand corrected. He had it listed as a custom from a fab shop near him. I don't want to put the name of the shop since they may have not done the original work- I do know they fixed the frame issue which is why he may have it now listed as custom from them. Chris is on his way to the Arctic Ocean with a group of Xterras right now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles