Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

blare

Finally I was able to upload some pics. I thought my Jeep was special until I got to Moab - every vehicle in this town is a Jeep or some other off-roader. My eyes are popping 勞
RichardPT, or anyone else, what are you using for a raised hitch set up? After testing a pintle setup there is no way its going to work for me without dropping the trailer lunette ring on the trailer side or raising the pintle hook on the jeep a bit. I found this kind of surprising because I'm on 33s with a ~3 inch lift.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
If you knew you were going to do this from the beginning, could design a fender setup integrated with the boxes. . .

Correct. But in reality..... the beautiful part of this greatly priced Swiss army knife of a trailer, you get to customize it exactly like you want it. Side boxes might not be for all all everyone, but personally, I can't have too much storage..... :)
I think to me lot of the fun have been to build and customize the trailer. That have been a lot of fun..... and we haven't even gone camping yet.....lol.

McDowra

Observer
Correct. But in reality..... the beautiful part of this greatly priced Swiss army knife of a trailer, you get to customize it exactly like you want it. Side boxes might not be for all all everyone, but personally, I can't have too much storage..... :)
I think to me lot of the fun have been to build and customize the trailer. That have been a lot of fun..... and we haven't even gone camping yet.....lol.

I agree this trailer is a beginning point for us!

Wynn

Wanderer
If you knew you were going to do this from the beginning, could design a fender setup integrated with the boxes. . .

Same here! I’ve been itching to get it out but something always comes up. Hopefully in a couple weeks.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
After both boxes are in place. They do not look that big in person. The bottom of the box corner will help in aiding in much control slung from the tires as the fender does not cover it all. Now it does.
IMG_7765a.jpg
IMG_7766a.jpg
IMG_7767a.jpg

Silverback07

Adventurer
RichardPT, or anyone else, what are you using for a raised hitch set up? After testing a pintle setup there is no way its going to work for me without dropping the trailer lunette ring on the trailer side or raising the pintle hook on the jeep a bit. I found this kind of surprising because I'm on 33s with a ~3 inch lift.

I'm on 34's (Tacoma w/ ~3" lift and the trailer has same tires as well) and I am using a Max Coupler. Its pretty dead on straight from hitch to tongue on flat pavement.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Looks really nice!

Thanks.
The box is made from 14 gauge steel, so it is quite sturdy. I really wanted to install box that had the door on the side, but they were simply too expensive, and most that I saw were right at 36 inches, which is about 1/4 inch too long to fit. Then I got the coupon from HF, and I thought hmmmmmm...... I went there and asked if I could in box one, and when I saw it, I knew right away, that this would work. The overall construction and folds, made it look like it was made for this trailer as it really looks OEM, and for $90, I felt that was a good bet. With the beads of adhesive in place on the back and side, this made the fender stiffer, and I have no doubt that everything stiffened up, so that is a good thing.

honda250xtitan

Thanks.
The box is made from 14 gauge steel, so it is quite sturdy. I really wanted to install box that had the door on the side, but they were simply too expensive, and most that I saw were right at 36 inches, which is about 1/4 inch too long to fit. Then I got the coupon from HF, and I thought hmmmmmm...... I went there and asked if I could in box one, and when I saw it, I knew right away, that this would work. The overall construction and folds, made it look like it was made for this trailer as it really looks OEM, and for $90, I felt that was a good bet. With the beads of adhesive in place on the back and side, this made the fender stiffer, and I have no doubt that everything stiffened up, so that is a good thing.
looks great. Makes me think i wanna snag a similar box and use it for my battery and wiring....

Etoimos

Observer
My tow vehicle is a 2017 Ford Escape. I know that if the Escape will clear, the Smitty will as well. If you believe my 19 old daughter, I will soon have a JL ( as I work for our local Ford, Toyota and Jeep dealer) I am however not so sure. Regardless in the meantime I will not be doing too much crazy stuff with that being the case. If ya wanna see one, you are most welcome any time if you flow through Grand Junction. I just pillaged a Engel fridge...... My journey is complete.... Almost.. :)

Thanks. I just drove through GJ on my way back from the Death Valley trip. Pulling the Jeep CJ tub trail really gave me some ideas for what I want in a trailer. An easy to setup and tear down kitchen layout is chief among them. I'd really like a trailer with two slide outs on one side, one in front of the wheel and one behind. That would allow for a stove and cooking gear in one and the fridge in the other with a fold down table over the tire between the two slides.

The Smitty still looks like a strong staring point that I may go with and I'd love to take a look at yours sometime. Just have to figure out when I'll be back out that way.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Thanks. I just drove through GJ on my way back from the Death Valley trip. Pulling the Jeep CJ tub trail really gave me some ideas for what I want in a trailer. An easy to setup and tear down kitchen layout is chief among them. I'd really like a trailer with two slide outs on one side, one in front of the wheel and one behind. That would allow for a stove and cooking gear in one and the fridge in the other with a fold down table over the tire between the two slides.

The Smitty still looks like a strong staring point that I may go with and I'd love to take a look at yours sometime. Just have to figure out when I'll be back out that way.

I would love to show it to you someday. Had you pinged me we would have made that happen. That goes for anyone really. If you are passing through Grand Junction,CO on I -70.... message me here and I would be happy to show it.
I think the slide setup ( one on each side and one in the back) for a total of three, is perfect for me. Left featuring the kitchen stove and has storage for anything I would want. Right is filled up with the fridge. And back has all the camping gear.
It still remains to be tested but I think it will work fine for us.
It is quite the with though as camper left has the arb2500.... which sticks out 8 feet.

RichardPT

Richard
I’m using Max Coupler with ball mount with a 7 inch rise. My Rubicon is on standard wheels with no lift and when I compared mounting position of the Jeep and trailer it came up to about 7 inch difference.
I recently drove 7000 km with the trailer and no major issues. Prior to the trip I put an empty trailer tongue on a scale and it showed roughly 375 lbs ?. I’m happy to report the Jeep handled it well but I do run air bags in rear springs and I carried set of bikes on the back of the trailer (bikes and bike rack weigh around 200 lbs) to offset the tongue weight. Also no heavy batteries and spare wheel was moved to the top of main box

blare

I’m using Max Coupler with ball mount with a 7 inch rise. My Rubicon is on standard wheels with no lift and when I compared mounting position of the Jeep and trailer it came up to about 7 inch difference.
I recently drove 7000 km with the trailer and no major issues. Prior to the trip I put an empty trailer tongue on a scale and it showed roughly 375 lbs ?. I’m happy to report the Jeep handled it well but I do run air bags in rear springs and I carried set of bikes on the back of the trailer (bikes and bike rack weigh around 200 lbs) to offset the tongue weight. Also no heavy batteries and spare wheel was moved to the top of main box
Thanks man. I definitely think the air bag helpers and moving the spare would help out a bit. Wish the Jeep cam with a V8!

Ebrabaek, those HF boxes are ingenious. I’m probably going to buy two and use one for my battery shorepower gig and the other for more storage. Did you create any backing plates inside the main box?

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Thanks man. I definitely think the air bag helpers and moving the spare would help out a bit. Wish the Jeep cam with a V8!

Ebrabaek, those HF boxes are ingenious. I’m probably going to buy two and use one for my battery shorepower gig and the other for more storage. Did you create any backing plates inside the main box?

Thanks amigo.
Those boxes are sorta made for this trailer.... :) I did not create any backing as I simply moved the Smitty plague and long bracket from the outside to the inside. I essentially reversed the position. That created a plenty strong enough backing plate to the inside. The fact the boxes are 14 gauge and the smitty's main box even thicker than that led me to think that it would only be stronger bonded and mounted in place, and I can ensure you that that whole fender/side area, is by far stiffer, and stronger. The box weighs around 30 pounds, and I would have no problems putting another 50 pounds or more in them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94