Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Started buying up all the gear to put my battery in the tongue box and run the wiring for fridge, interior and exterior lights.

Where did everyone drill the holes to pass through the wires out of the tongue box and into the main box? Any recommended pass through type plugs?

I used the wholes in the frame that were already there for the purpose of facilitating wires. First I tried to use the rubber grommets you can by as inserts, but that was a mess, and I never got it to work. I instead used the 3/8 and 1/2 plastic wire tubing, and made it long enough so that is went in the hole to protect the wires. Properly overkill, but I then used black high temp adhesive in the hole to keep everything secure.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-3-8-in-x-10-ft-Flexible-Tubing-FLX-3810T/202905452

Midnightsun

Adventurer
whats a "genset"?

Generator. I'm old school about things I guess. Weight is huge issue with me and this trailer so a genset weighs 60-70 lbs? So does 1 battery I can always count on genset to charge 1 battery fast instead of adding dual battery and spending quite abit for solar to charge dual batteries in a timely manner which there are a lot of variables. Genset charge in the rain just like they do in the sunshine

OregonJKU

Midnightsun & Mmrocek nice pics. Looks like you really tested your trailers. We just got back a couple of days ago from our first camping trip with our trailer, and we are quite happy with it. Since it was our first trip we went to a nearby state campground on the coast to test out the trailer, and a way for our 60+lb dog to get into the tent. So we now have a ramp for her to use, and she did pretty good. Here are a few pics. Also ebrabaek have fun on your trip.

Attachments

• IMG_20180425_084138-600x800.jpg
    IMG_20180425_084138-600x800.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_20180425_083823-600x800.jpg
    IMG_20180425_083823-600x800.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_20180425_084033-600x800.jpg
    IMG_20180425_084033-600x800.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_20180425_084113-600x800.jpg
    IMG_20180425_084113-600x800.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 275

Midnightsun

Adventurer
Midnightsun & Mmrocek nice pics. Looks like you really tested your trailers. We just got back a couple of days ago from our first camping trip with our trailer, and we are quite happy with it. Since it was our first trip we went to a nearby state campground on the coast to test out the trailer, and a way for our 60+lb dog to get into the tent. So we now have a ramp for her to use, and she did pretty good. Here are a few pics. Also ebrabaek have fun on your trip.

Your ramp is right on!! I need that for me after few adult beverages

ABBRAKADABBRA

Like the dog ramp. Good job.

mspenc45

We made the Big Bend NP last week got back home Sunday and it was a heck of a trip. We pulled both jeep and trailer behind our motor home and everything went well. We stayed at lajitas rv resort first night then left motor home behind and headed into the Big Bend with just jeep and trailer , stop in at Panther junction and got permit for twisted shoe camp spot to spend the night but first it was test time to see how things handled on the black gap trail and it was a HELL of a ride. 6 1/2 miles of some great off roading. Can't say enough good things on how jeep and trailer worked together. The lock and roll hitch worked perfect not once did the tounge of trailer drag and there was a lot of straight up straight down twisting jeep off camber 50 degrees one way and trailer twisting other. I did bounce trailer tire off ground one time I saw at about 45 degree angle and it came back down . We went the full 6 1/2 miles then turned around and went back other direction. I had trailer loaded about 1900lbs and jeep pulled with plenty of power. Never spun a tire and lockersView attachment 445072View attachment 445073View attachment 445074View attachment 445075View attachment 445076View attachment 445077View attachment 445078View attachment 445079View attachment 445081View attachment 445080 dug in like a pro. Going back up canyon wall was crazy. Small ridge of a road not even as wide as jeep so going up and coming down your riding the wall with about 1500 to 2000 ft drop off the side once you start don't stop. Pulled Like a BOSS !! Lol. I could go on and on but it was a BLAST. I'll admit I scared my wife couple times and it cought me off gaurd several times. But the equipment did its job. Suspension on the trailer did great I could see it in my mirro and was impressive. I am gonna put actuators on my tent rack so I can bring tent down. My tent is 3 man and weighs only 90 lbs but turning trailer so far sideways I'd rather have it down on the deck other than that everything I did to trailer worked perfectly . It was hot about 96-98 and fridge did awesome on the 12v. Voltage drop to about 11.10 from full charge 12.7 in about 7 hrs but I ran genset about 45 min and I was back up full again

Man I love that kitchen!

mmrocek

Observer
I see we have some people from AZ here, planning on being at the expo I assume? Maybe we can meet up and talk trailers? I have a house in Kachina Village but that will be rented out to Sierra Expeditions guys :ROFLMAO: So I'll be camping with some buddies around the area.

Silverback07

Adventurer
the metal edge on the hole will chafe. Needs at least a soft grommet, or ideally a "clam" Cable Gland / Cable Bushing / Cord Grip to hold it securely.

This, I drilled my holes a bit larger than needed and then wrapped the wires in electrical tape and then sealed the hole with black silicone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles