Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Mccaf

Adventurist
Last edited:

bueller44

Finally got my trailer out for its inaugural shake-down camping long weekend. Everything worked as planned.
Went to the frontier/homesteader ghost town of Rowley Alberta, about 110 miles north-east of where I live. Weather was 27 C. (80 F.) and sunny. We were the only ones camping in the town.
Much of the inspiration for my trailer comes from members of this forum.

I welded and covered the front rock guard. Copied what Drifta does in Australia. Works great. Not a single rock impact on the trailer after 40 Km of gravel roads. The electrical system is 2x 100 W panels that I joined and welded a lockable storage bracket under the RTT. They feed power 2x 6 V. GC batteries in the generator compartment giving me 230 Amps of power. In that compartment is a 60 amp MPPT charge controller, a Nocco 10 Amp AC charger and 3000 watt pure sinewave inverter.

Behind the tongue box is 25 Gal of water in jerry cans and 2x 10 lb LP bottles.

View attachment 450410
View attachment 450411View attachment 450412View attachment 450413View attachment 450414

Awesome set up!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YYCRod

Very nice! Sidebox idea looks familiar. :) Mind showing us the GC battery setup?

This is the general layout. I built a plywood box with a removable shelf for the inverter and sprayed it all with rhino type liner. The plywood box keeps the generator side considerably cooler when in the sun and is convenient for screwing wires and the like to it. I figure that the lower temp is good for the batteries as well.

On the back wall is the Nocco 10 amp charger and the MPPT solar controller. I fabbed a removable plywood front tray to mount the master switch, the solar remote panel and the breaker panel. For wiring, I used 4 gauge for the batteries, master switch and busman high-current fuse. I used 8 gauge for the 66L. Snowmaster Expedition Fridge/Freezer. The GC2 batteries are wired in series and sit in a Nocco dual battery box. Conveniently, the battery box fits the Smittybilt generator tray as if it was made for it. Each compartment has a 10 gauge XT90 plug for 12v. power. Each compartment also has LED lighting mounted on the roof. I can run the fridge at 4c. and the freezer at -10c. for about a week with on-board power before I need to recharge. It takes about 3.5 hours to fully recharge using solar.

Other than the 2 shorepower and 1 solar input connector, there are no holes drilled into the box.

Silverback.... the side boxes are your idea :)

6.jpg
2.jpg
9.jpg
Top shelf looking to the rear (need to work on the cable management).
3.jpg
Front master shorepower and solar panel input. The boxes on top are USB and 12v. portable power boxes I made from electronics hobby boxes. I made a couple of 10 foot extension cables and can run them into both tents.
8.jpg
Shorepower and solar panel input cables inside.
4.jpg
Solar, aux extension cable and portable power boxes.
5.jpg
Rear fridge 120v shorepower
1.jpg

Last edited:

mspenc45

More mods to our Scout. I found that a certain storage bin, available at Costco's, fit nicely on our Scout tray, needed a better way to tie them down. Added two holes to the rear of this tray.

1527124892389.png1527124941713.png1527124990287.png

velosurreal

Somewhere in this thread it was suggested the Partner Steel 18" would fit perfectly. I can confirm it does! I'll have to detach the propane line to close drawer, but it sure maximizes cooking space. Those brackets are for repairing bi-folding doors but work great to hold it in place.

IMG_20180523_111310.jpgIMG_20180523_111412.jpgMVIMG_20180523_111356.jpg

YYCRod

Somewhere in this thread it was suggested the Partner Steel 18" would fit perfectly. I can confirm it does! I'll have to detach the propane line to close drawer, but it sure maximizes cooking space. Those brackets are for repairing bi-folding doors but work great to hold it in place.

They are awesome stoves. Love mine!

YYCRod

More mods...

Replaced the factory front jockey wheel with the Australian made Ark XO Extreme Off-road 750 dual jockey wheel. Very solid unit. Makes pushing the trailer around much easier. Much more stable than the factory unit.

IMG_3137.JPG

I welded ring mount on the opposite side of the frame and mounted a 5000 Lb jack stand. Makes the whole trailer much more planted when up in the tent.

IMG_3138.JPG
IMG_3139.JPG

mspenc45

Very nice! Was thinking of something like that as well, given that we don't use a RTT, but an air mattress in the back of the Jeep.

TexasTaco

@Silverback07 which adapters specifically are you using? I drive a 2014 Tacoma and ordered these based on your suggestion in this thread: Sixity 2 pc 1.5" Thick 5x5" to 6x5.5" Wheel Adapters

I recently purchased a Scout trailer at the 4Wheel Parts truck and jeep show and my local 4WP is assembling it for me now. I dropped off these adapters with a pair of wheels and tires that fit my truck and they are telling me the adapters do not work. Are these the same exact ones you are using? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Silverback07

Adventurer
Yep, that is the exact place I bought them and that IIRC is the ones I got. Not sure what 4WP is having an issue with. I've got about 1500 miles on the trailer now with them and no issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94