Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

TexasTaco

Yep, that is the exact place I bought them and that IIRC is the ones I got. Not sure what 4WP is having an issue with. I've got about 1500 miles on the trailer now with them and no issues.

Thanks that's what I thought. I'm going to head over there when I get off work and have a look for myself.

robepa

@TexasTaco I got the 2" Sixity adapters (90321000010015 ) and I had to grind the wheel studs slightly to get them to fit with my 06 TRD offroad Tacoma. They work great following that.
20180528_104706.jpg20180528_104706.jpg

Kraxler

Started the next set of mods. Working on the stove drawer to fit a mr. Heater 18" stove. Also started the electrical work for a battery in the front box. Got the ac plug installed. Have the charger and master switch. Still haven't decided on what battery size. Will be running am ARB frig and some led lights.

@Silverback07 which adapters specifically are you using? I drive a 2014 Tacoma and ordered these based on your suggestion in this thread: Sixity 2 pc 1.5" Thick 5x5" to 6x5.5" Wheel Adapters

I recently purchased a Scout trailer at the 4Wheel Parts truck and jeep show and my local 4WP is assembling it for me now. I dropped off these adapters with a pair of wheels and tires that fit my truck and they are telling me the adapters do not work. Are these the same exact ones you are using? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

its most likely because you did not get the proper size hub bore to clear the trailers large hub. i know the site says 78mm but maybe the 5x5 part is hub centric for a jeep? the other thing is the backspace on the wheels. Most factory backspace wheels are 6"+ and the trailer needs about 4.25", so a 1.5" adapter may be too thin.

Oh let me add some please...
The scout trailer is cool. especially if you want to add your own stuff to it. I bought mine "Fully loaded" XL tent, generator fridge awning and the tent annex.
1. Annex didnt fit. small print says it doesn't. so refunded
2. ladder wasn't right.for some reason it doesn't have enough holes in it so each time i use it I have to rig it with bunji cords and a block of wood
3. Battery died in the trailer brakes after first use.Says on box comes with recharger. it doesn't. got the phone tag on this one so tried to recharge it and its dead. purchased less then 6months ago.
4. battery in generator obviously old since it was corroded and appeared to be used. -emailed customer support still no response.
5. Generator Keys missing
6. Remote on generator only stops but wont start.
7. roof top tent was assembled to open (expand) above the kitchen when this should have been the awning area. (tent is heavy)
8. last time i went out the wind blew something out of the tent LOL big ass aluminum pole. so cold and windy i just tucked it in before leaving. have no idea where it came from.
9. awning is very cheaply made. not worth even $100

These are just off the top of my head.

But really, with all of that said. I still dont regret my purchase. Its exactly what i wanted. the fridge has worked amazingly. the generator has never failed me, at least not yet. if i could do it again. i think id opt out on the accessories since there are better out there. looking at the list above you can see you get what you pay. in this case i got that exactly.

if you want to customize it yourself then this makes a great shell cuz if you are like most, its damn hard to cut into something that cost a **** load of money. ive added my own home built solar system and am thinking of doing a shower next. Still brainstorming best fits. Hope this helps.

FYi the break away only charges when plugged into the vehicle. if you want to charge it while its disconnected, just get a cheap charger from harbor freight and wire it to the battery terminals.

The key start on generator you must double click "ON" to turn off you only have to press it once. i guess its a little safety trick.

Ladder, you need to drill the proper locking holes based on your tent height. use a step bit to slightly ream the hole edge for easier engagement.

TexasTaco

So it looks like the wheel adapters will work with my wheels if they are just a half inch thicker. The backspace on my wheels is 4.5" and the 1.5" spacers are too thin.

@robepa where did you find the 2” set? I can’t seem to find any, not even on the Sixity website. I sent them an email to see if they have them and if I can exchange the 1.5" for the 2". Waiting to hear back.

Check out billet wheel adapters. one word of advice cast<billet<forged. There are some cheap spacers out there that are cast, which is ok for a light trailer but i wouldn't run them on my jeep.

TexasTaco

Well just my luck Sixity is out of stock of the 2" adapters and it could be weeks before they get more in. So I went ahead and got some from wheeladaptersusa that are T6 anodized aerospace grade aluminum and forged. They were a little more expensive but they had a 10% off promotion going on at least. Thanks for you guys' input, it is much appreciated. I have not used spacers at all before but definitely want the ability to share wheels and tires between my truck and trailer.

Once I get the wheel adapter situation figured out and get the trailer home I'll be getting busy with mods thanks to all of the great ideas on this thread. I have already purchased a Smittybilt generator and a blue top Optima D34M that I will be picking up with the trailer to get started. My plans are to:

- Mount the battery and electrical components in the tongue box. Probably going to bite the bullet and get another SwitchPros for the trailer. It's expensive but I have one in my Tacoma and love how easy it is to wire everything and how it can be controlled from my phone. I like the idea of climbing in the tent first, then turning everything off right on my phone.
- LED light strips in all the compartments.
- Outside lighting, still deciding what lights I will use for this.
- Camping stove, still deciding which one.

Then I will move on to water tank & heater and eventually a large fridge/freezer in the back. So I will be on here often sharing my progress and seeking advice. This thread is what convinced me to get the Scout and I'm really excited about it.

Also, I have a Manley ORV that I am now selling since I will have the Scout. I bought it off of another member here last year. So if you guys know anyone interested in that please send them my way. Thanks!

blare

Electrical complete for the most part. Zip ties holding the cables aren’t tight yet just in case I run into any bugs. The ammo can idea worked okay but I’m going to pursue a better fix later this year. Preferably some space back by elevating the components.
8EDD90B2-2796-4619-9A96-C2263FC5079E.jpegUtilized some left over track to give some flexibility for holding down some gas cans etc....4436B7F8-9125-4AF3-8583-7A5FF687E31B.jpeg

I also noticed there is a ton of space beneath the drawers. I originally was sticking the tent rods under there but this might be a good place to mount my axe and hatchet.
0F58DD16-4299-42D6-8A88-956435762409.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles