Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Camping among animals that might consider you lunch, or at the very least animals that might ransack your camp at night, I wanted to have perimeter lights that could be removed from the RTT. I found this little device on Amazon. You simply inserts it in between your switch and what your switching. Note the white wire picture top left.
That is the hardware....20180622_091959.jpg

Then you have a rf remote that you can carry with you. A few nice features......
You can now dim the lights.
Strobe...pulse you name it.
It stores the light position so if you leave the lights on and then kill the lights via switch they come back on with the switch.
20180622_092006.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QKVVUZ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

rudee13

you guys should check out Anzo Universal Remote Control modules part # 851067. under $40 bucks, online or usually in stock at O'Reilly's.
I've been using one on my truck and trailer for about 2 yrs now and works like a charm.
Control 4 light circuits of your choice from 100'. I pop a couple on each side of trailer before I climb down from rtt. fob is solid not cheap or flimsy. For the money it's really hard to beat. truck or trailer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Silverback07

Adventurer
you guys should check out Anzo Universal Remote Control modules part # 851067. under $40 bucks, online or usually in stock at O'Reilly's.
I've been using one on my truck and trailer for about 2 yrs now and works like a charm.
Control 4 light circuits of your choice from 100'. I pop a couple on each side of trailer before I climb down from rtt. fob is solid not cheap or flimsy. For the money it's really hard to beat. truck or trailer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

yep, I've had the same controlling the lights on the rack in the bed of my truck for about 8 years, one channel for left, one for right, one for back and one for downward into the bed. Works like a champ.

Kraxler

I bought this scout trailer by Smittybilt 6 months ago, I have read negative and some positive reviews about this company. Anyway, I purchased this because this trailer has options for me to customize, likewise make it more robust. I have currently made some changes with this trailer.

First, I removed the spare tire carrier install a 19 gallons water storage measuring 35"x7.5"x19"H and a Jerry can mount 5gal/2L, 2 pcs. that can accommodate 2 Sceptor gas container.

I have removed the current wheels and place a wheel adopter to accommodate my Toyota TRD wheels, so that my current toyota spare tires can also fit the scout trailer. Likewise the ground clearance is now the same with my 4Runner, and looks good with the same TRD wheels.

I am planning to re-inforce the current trailer hitch, do some welding stuff to make it more sturdy to accommodate my Wilco Hitchgate and were I can place my spare tire for the trailer or else I can always use the 4Runner spare tire.

I'm on the process of looking for a quality 4 person Roof Top Tent for this trailer, and a sturdy Shower Curtain.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I like your stuff. What water tank did you get, and where? Looking at doing something similar. Thanks

blare

Found on another part of the forum that the Rigid 22” cases are a pretty good value and appear to be water proof. They are a little too big for the back storage but fit perfect in the kitchen chuck box area. B948AFF2-4C9B-4098-9176-9D0A264A32B8.jpeg65D9FD4C-799C-49C8-9EB7-817D8B36AE6C.jpeg032DADAA-448A-4758-9DED-117AB6CF2D30.jpeg

OregonJKU

Brilliant solution! Your fix got me motivated to fab-up a solution to clear my Foxwing.
I didn't have any 1" aluminum on hand so I used 1-1/2" angle steel for the mounts, 1" square stock for the vertical risers and 1/4" coupling nuts with the backs welded over to hold the steel fly rods.
Welded it all together and bolted them on the awning support arms.

Thanks for the inspiration Ebrabaek.

View attachment 456183
Hi YYCRod,
We like your solution but what did you do for the other side of your Foxwing?

YYCRod

Hi YYCRod,
We like your solution but what did you do for the other side of your Foxwing?

Hi OregonJKU. Not sure I understand your question. When open, the Foxwing fastens to the left side of the Treeline tent (rear of the trailer in my case). Conveniently, one of the compression straps on the tent is perfectly positioned to act as the Foxwing anchor/attachment-point when open. I open the Foxwing, swing it around its arc to the rear of the trailer and, using the compression strap, Velcro it around the Foxwing leading arm. The mounts I fabricated were to get the tension rods for the rear of the tent fly above the level of the Foxwing (or any awing for that matter). Without this or a similar solution (for example Ebrabaek's mod), you need to run guy ropes to get the fly off the tent as the tension rods would be below the awning level.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

bkone

Well just my luck Sixity is out of stock of the 2" adapters and it could be weeks before they get more in. So I went ahead and got some from wheeladaptersusa that are T6 anodized aerospace grade aluminum and forged. They were a little more expensive but they had a 10% off promotion going on at least. Thanks for you guys' input, it is much appreciated. I have not used spacers at all before but definitely want the ability to share wheels and tires between my truck and trailer.

Once I get the wheel adapter situation figured out and get the trailer home I'll be getting busy with mods thanks to all of the great ideas on this thread. I have already purchased a Smittybilt generator and a blue top Optima D34M that I will be picking up with the trailer to get started. My plans are to:

- Mount the battery and electrical components in the tongue box. Probably going to bite the bullet and get another SwitchPros for the trailer. It's expensive but I have one in my Tacoma and love how easy it is to wire everything and how it can be controlled from my phone. I like the idea of climbing in the tent first, then turning everything off right on my phone.
- LED light strips in all the compartments.
- Outside lighting, still deciding what lights I will use for this.
- Camping stove, still deciding which one.

Then I will move on to water tank & heater and eventually a large fridge/freezer in the back. So I will be on here often sharing my progress and seeking advice. This thread is what convinced me to get the Scout and I'm really excited about it.

Also, I have a Manley ORV that I am now selling since I will have the Scout. I bought it off of another member here last year. So if you guys know anyone interested in that please send them my way. Thanks!

Were these the adapter you bought? https://wheeladaptersusa.com/produc...-6-lug-wheel-on-5-lug-car-2-inch-thick-12x1-5
The wheels I'm planning to use has a backspacing of 4.3" and an offset of -10mm, can you please let me know if these spacers would work with my wheels?

tia!

Anvoy

A few quick questions for those who tow with a Jeep jk. The tongue weight is a little heavy and compresses the suspension spring. Anyone using airbags to compensate the saging? And, where is the safe jack point?

YYCRod

A few quick questions for those who tow with a Jeep jk. The tongue weight is a little heavy and compresses the suspension spring. Anyone using airbags to compensate the saging? And, where is the safe jack point?

I can’t comment on a Jeep, but with my FJ I added bags, problem solved. As for jacking the trailer, I use the stabilization jacks that are built right into the design.

Last edited:

YYCRod

Thank you, are this stabilization jack rated to handle the trailer weight?

I believe they a 5000 lb. jacks. I purchased an extra one and welded it onto the trailer opposite of the jockey wheel. It was stamped 5000 lb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94