Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

JandDGreens

Adventurer
On the trailer I am building (not a small trailer like the smitty built) I am planning on putting two receiver hitches in the same location quite like the way you have those set up. I want those so that I can add a motorcycle carrier to the back end. I think I will also build some jacks to fit those receiver hitches. I am currently working on the bumper. Great Idea!!!

ebrabaek

Adventurer
I got started on the modifications to the trailer for my swing out tire carrier. I moved the jack receiver tube back 2" and out about 4". I chopped up part of the shipping frame to put in to weld the jack receiver tube to. Where the jack receiver tube was, I welded in 2"x2"x1/4" tube to hold the spindle.
View attachment 435901
View attachment 435900
View attachment 435902

When I did mine, the decisive factor in choosing 3x3 as bumper medium, and making it a through piece, was the immense torque imposed on the arm when that tire was mounted. For a while I even thought that 3x3 through piece with three original tie in to the frame would not be enough. That have since proven unwarranted. What material are you planning on making the swing arm from??

Tkhawk

Adventurer
I'm using 2x3x1/8. That's what my aftermarket swing arm is on the jeep, and I haven't had any issues with it. For the mount, the hinge is only 3" from the body so the deflection in the tube is negligible. The jack receivers only had 1"-1.5" welds, 3 on each side. I welded the new tubes on fully up both sides and on the ends, so I'm not worried about them coming off.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
I'm using 2x3x1/8. That's what my aftermarket swing arm is on the jeep, and I haven't had any issues with it. For the mount, the hinge is only 3" from the body so the deflection in the tube is negligible. The jack receivers only had 1"-1.5" welds, 3 on each side. I welded the new tubes on fully up both sides and on the ends, so I'm not worried about them coming off.

I think you will be ok with the arm. My humble opinion is that I think there might be too much flex in the short 2x2x1/4 on the right side. Hopefully I am dead wrong in that. Looking forward to see this progress.
Thank you for documenting this for all of us to enjoy. :)

Tkhawk

Adventurer
If the distance I assumed from your's is about right, it'll actually have the same amount of flex. I assumed 8" from the pivot point to the tube that connects to the trailer, this is also assuming the tube is fully rigged at the point where the two tubes connect. However, your shear stress from the same loading conditions is less than half of what mine is. Considering 200 pounds at the mid point of the swing arm gives a 3.5 to 1 safety factor on mine and it'll be almost 9 to 1 on yours.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
If the distance I assumed from your's is about right, it'll actually have the same amount of flex. I assumed 8" from the pivot point to the tube that connects to the trailer, this is also assuming the tube is fully rigged at the point where the two tubes connect. However, your shear stress from the same loading conditions is less than half of what mine is. Considering 200 pounds at the mid point of the swing arm gives a 3.5 to 1 safety factor on mine and it'll be almost 9 to 1 on yours.

Your properly right. I just remember thinking that I am very happy I made it a through piece, as it is flexing more than I thought it would.

mmrocek

Observer
Hey guys, found this thread very helpful when deciding on a trailer, thanks. So I'll add my stuff to it for anyone looking for info as I did. I previously built a '16 Tacoma TRDOR into an overland rig, but after it left me stranded a couple times (long story) I decided to go another route - '16 JKUR - which has yet to disappoint. Anyways, seeing as I have both of the vehicles to use - Tacoma for easy camping stuff and the Rubi for more remote/hardcore adventures, I decided to get a trailer.

IMG_1882.jpg
The delivery was a pain as the trailer crate is large and heavy. Make sure you have enough room and it helps to "grease the wheels" of delivery driver as they can just say f-it and tell you to come pick it up from their distro center. Also there are 2 pallets now and the wheels don't come assembled - discount tire for mount and balance the next day - $60

IMG_1884.jpg
IMG_1886.jpg

I want to give huge thank you to Smittybilt for great instructions (watch assembly video online!) and amazing tagging of hardware (I wish ARB this well. Missing hardware and badly fitting components are their MO with me.)

To Continue.... permissions issue on the forum....

jmlarson

Hello All:

FWIW -

Just got our annex for the smittybilt XL tent. The door was moved from the outside to one of the sides. The new pictures on the smittybilt website show the correct location...https://www.smittybilt.com/overlander_tent_and_awning

Summit racing is selling them for $220 - $80 less than I had seen it elsewhere, and it arrived in less tha a week from the order.

Regards
James

mmrocek

Observer
IMG_1899.jpg
IMG_1900.jpg
IMG_1901.jpg

Anyways, assembly to me (1 guy) a single day. Hardest part was getting the steel crate off.

IMG_1897.jpg

The suspension setup looks really nice and I am looking forward to really testing it out on the Rubicon trail.

IMG_1903.jpg

Here is my minor setup as I still have to take the RTT and other gear off my tacoma bedrack.
IMG_1916.jpg
IMG_1921.jpg

I also have a waterport to install, ARQ awning inbound, sand ladders, and the new ARB elements fridge.

I am using the Goal Zero 1250 and a couple 100W solar panels (the boulder 30 GZ panels suck BTW, get some Amazon ones - amazing) to power it. Still have to figure out a good way to store the solar panels while traveling, the ratchet strap is only temp.

IMG_1932.jpg

This is my JKUR with 3.5 metal cloak lift, running 37's. attached is the trailer with the stock tires it comes with from Smittybilt.
IMG_1911.jpg

more to come soon as I have to get all the stuff mounted, figure out a good stove solution and get a articulating hitch.

ratled

Adventurer
Hey guys, found this thread very helpful when deciding on a trailer, thanks. So I'll add my stuff to it for anyone looking for info as I did. I previously built a '16 Tacoma TRDOR into an overland rig, but after it left me stranded a couple times (long story) I decided to go another route - '16 JKUR - which has yet to disappoint. Anyways, seeing as I have both of the vehicles to use - Tacoma for easy camping stuff and the Rubi for more remote/hardcore adventures, I decided to get a trailer.

The delivery was a pain as the trailer crate is large and heavy. Make sure you have enough room and it helps to "grease the wheels" of delivery driver as they can just say f-it and tell you to come pick it up from their distro center. Also there are 2 pallets now and the wheels don't come assembled - discount tire for mount and balance the next day - $60

I want to give huge thank you to Smittybilt for great instructions (watch assembly video online!) and amazing tagging of hardware (I wish ARB this well. Missing hardware and badly fitting components are their MO with me.)

To Continue.... permissions issue on the forum....

Nice post mmrocek

bkone

Hello All:

FWIW -

Just got our annex for the smittybilt XL tent. The door was moved from the outside to one of the sides. The new pictures on the smittybilt website show the correct location...https://www.smittybilt.com/overlander_tent_and_awning

Summit racing is selling them for $220 - $80 less than I had seen it elsewhere, and it arrived in less tha a week from the order.

Regards
James

Thanks, just picked one up for $214.99 from summit!

Last edited:

Tkhawk

Adventurer
Well we had a last minute change of plans this last weekend, everyone I was going with to the High Water Mark trail in the Ozarks bailed out do to weather or mechanical issues mid day Thursday and we were planning on leaving at 5 Thursday evening. I didn't want to run that kind of trail for the first time by myself in that kind of weather so I decided to head south towards warmer weather. I decided to try out the Hill Country overland route I found here on expedition portal. We camped thursday night in the Davy Crockett National Forest. We were all alone in a great clearing with nothing but deer for neighbors.
20180223_075042.jpg
After 4 hours on the highway and a couple of hours on dirt we made our way to Dos Rios campground on the Llano River.
20180223_181111.jpg
From there the weather cleared up for us and we covered another 40 miles of dirt/mud with some nice wide, shallow river crossings, then couple of more hours on paved ranch roads.
20180224_122703.jpg
These dumped us out at Fredericksburg, Texas, where we camped at Lady Bird Johnson park. The muddy Jeep and Trailer didn't exactly fit in next to all of the huge, clean, shinny rv's at the park, but it was nice.
20180224_154910.jpg
And a couple of happy campers!
20180224_155108(0).jpg

The trailer did great, we logged almost 1,000 miles. Everything from 75mph+ on the interstate to some wash boards to mud to river crossings. I still need to finish my rear tire swing out and work on my organization skills but other than that I've been super happy with everything.

One note on my ARQ awning, it seems to not be water proof. We were in a light drizzle and within 20 minutes water was dripping off of the bottom. They said its supposed to be water proof and sent me a video of a test where the fabric was holding water, so I'm going to try to duplicate the test on mine tonight.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
As my Tepui is just around 200 pounds and large footprint, the front overhang was 18 inches, and there were about 1/4 inch deflection downwards. Perhaps I judged wrong, but I wanted to secure that, so I welded a front support frame to the front cross bar. All good'er now... :) :) The side angled forward bar will also serve as mount for the LED lights.
IMG_7661.jpg
IMG_7662.jpg

Then my wife kindly reminded me that the trailer is not very visible from the rear...... all darth vador looking and all..... so a couple of reflectors were stuck on the jacks...... all mo better now... :) :)
IMG_7659.jpg
IMG_7660.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne