Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Bullseye240

Adventurer

Good diagram.

With the weight of the trailer and an approximate 50% loaded weight on the axle with jack-stands and the wheels off. The reason for 50% loaded weight is so that when fully loaded or unloaded it moves within allowable specs.

Take a straight edge or tube/pipe/square tubing and clamp them to the hubs by bolting on with the lug nuts or clamping onto the mounting surface and level them as indicated by the green line in the above. You can also rotate the fixture vertical to measure camber with this setup.

Run two strings between the left and right side (Dimension A in the above) and measure for toe in or out. Set toe to zero or slightly toed in.

After finding the center of the strings mark it on the string.

Attach another string to the rear cross string and run it over the front cross string to the hitch. Tie it to a jack-stand and while keeping it taught slide the jack-stand left or right until it lines up with the centerline on the front cross string.

Drop a plumb bob from the centerline of the hitch or tongue. If the strings do not line up with the hitch the trailer will not pull straight. Not a huge deal on a trailer this length but probably fixable with the given adjustments.

Keep in mind that if the string runs parallel to the tongue but not on the centerline of the tongue it indicates that your axle is square to the centerline but not centered to the tongue.

This would cause a situation like image "B' in the one I posted where the measurement from hitch to axle end would falsely indicate square but the axle or tongue is shifted off centerline and would cause tracking issues. You need to either move the axle left/right or move the tongue left/right to center it. Again on a trailer this length it would be less critical but would eliminate confusion when trying to diagnose irregular tire wear and tracking issues.

Getting the axle/s centered along the line of pull ensure the trailer will track well and wear tires evenly. I would shoot for about a 1/16" to 1/8" inch toe in to provide a slight scrubbing of the tires to eliminate erosion wear of the tire tread if using highway tread trailer tires and allow for bearing wear between service intervals as the bearings will loosen a bit as they wear and then begin to toe outwards but still be within specs.

Black Friday 2017 Northridge 4X4 Scout Trailer SPECIAL

Northridge 4X4 is offering a Black Friday Special on the Smittybilt SCOUT Trailer

Sale price: $5,099.99 vs. MSRP $6,249.99

This purchase does NOT qualify for free shipping.

Check out their website for additional terms and conditions.

This is a GREAT thread. Keep up the good work of sharing information.

Happy Thanksgiving!

ps: I have no association with this company. Just surfing my favorite websites during the Thanksgiving day parade activities.

Baja71

Northridge 4X4 is offering a Black Friday Special on the Smittybilt SCOUT Trailer

Sale price: $5,099.99 vs. MSRP $6,249.99

This purchase does NOT qualify for free shipping.

Check out their website for additional terms and conditions.

This is a GREAT thread. Keep up the good work of sharing information.

Happy Thanksgiving!

ps: I have no association with this company. Just surfing my favorite websites during the Thanksgiving day parade activities.

Without the free shipping, isn't this more than it was with the sharktank code?

Midnightsun

Adventurer
image.jpgimage.jpg

I got my foxwing put on. I used foxwing brackets from front runner. They were the easiest to modify to fit Smittybilt bracket. Was kind of worried that the awning might be to big but it turned out great. Good coverage and weighs in at 30lbs

Tkhawk

Adventurer
Looks great! I'm still waiting on my awning, I ordered a 270 from ARQ4wd and they sent me a 5' instead of the 6.5'. The new one is supposed to be shipping this week.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
When you guys drilled for the brackets for the fuel rotopax, did you just remove the panel by cutting the sealant, and removing the two eye bolts, and then just re installing the panel??

When you guys drilled for the brackets for the fuel rotopax, did you just remove the panel by cutting the sealant, and removing the two eye bolts, and then just re installing the panel??

Yes, i used a razor knife to cut the sealant. Drilled holes then hit them with primer , then an epoxy paint. Should be 3 bolts on the inside to remove it. Just remember to re-seal it when you put it back on. I put a small bead down on the trailer body, then attached the panel and smoothed out the sealant.

Great job on the tire swing. I was looking at using the swing off the Atlas bumper. my tongue weight was around 350 lbs. i want to get that down a little lower. I will also be adding a poly water tank right behind the hitch. I had a nice one made up for just in front of the trailing arms but it made the tongue weight too high.

Midnightsun

Adventurer

I didn't remove that panel. I drilled threw it and the side using longer bolts also used a back up plate inside also. That panel is a stiffener for the side it is a structural piece to the trailer I would not recommend removing it I also didn't want the rotopax cans flat up against side

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Yes, i used a razor knife to cut the sealant. Drilled holes then hit them with primer , then an epoxy paint. Should be 3 bolts on the inside to remove it. Just remember to re-seal it when you put it back on. I put a small bead down on the trailer body, then attached the panel and smoothed out the sealant.

Great job on the tire swing. I was looking at using the swing off the Atlas bumper. my tongue weight was around 350 lbs. i want to get that down a little lower. I will also be adding a poly water tank right behind the hitch. I had a nice one made up for just in front of the trailing arms but it made the tongue weight too high.

Thanks. The swing carrier has been a great success. I forwarded the pictures to both Northridge, and Smittybilt, suggesting that they offer a wider swing arm/bumper as a add on, or accessory to the trailer. We shall see if they think it is a good idea. They have both been fantabolous in supporting me in the build.
I just got the water tank in:

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-R8024-ABS-Water-Tank/dp/B0006MRSKW

Flojet pump arrived, and L5 should be here next week.

Exterior/interior lights are here as well..... gonna be a fun winter build.... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz