Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

RichardPT

Richard
Thanks for the comments. Box on the side is actually a Jeep box that should go behind the back seats of a two door. Not too many of them left out there and is not cheap but I liked the shape of it with the slanted front. The drawback is it only fits on one side of the trailer but I keep my fuel on the other side anyway.
Trailer performed really good on the highway even at high speed but it freaked me out few times when it got really wobbly, I think because of side winds. Maybe it has something to do with independent wheels, it was not swaying just going up and down on opposite sides.
We just came back from riding Hell’s Revenge in the Jeep - what a blast ?. The little Jeep that could.

Attachments

• 44EA7257-4074-4115-9FAC-5767B0A076CE.jpeg
    44EA7257-4074-4115-9FAC-5767B0A076CE.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 263
  • EC81AA44-EF93-454F-8B04-B03758FE8504.jpeg
    EC81AA44-EF93-454F-8B04-B03758FE8504.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 247
  • A7935627-CBDD-4B72-8E36-0A0CDE0C1B87.jpeg
    A7935627-CBDD-4B72-8E36-0A0CDE0C1B87.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 180
  • 94602D62-18B9-4DE0-AF66-3FFE25ACB7F6.jpeg
    94602D62-18B9-4DE0-AF66-3FFE25ACB7F6.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 176

Etoimos

Observer
Thanks guys for starting this thread and keeping it going. I've been kicking around the idea of an offraod trailer for a couple years now (I want some thing small and trail ready and the wife would prefer something more glamperish... go figure). I initially saw the Scout and thought it looked cool, but the Smittybilt name made me move on without much time spent on it. This thread has revived my interest in it.

I'll be pulling a CJ tub trailer through Death Valley for a week (a loaner) and I also checked out one of the Boarder Land trails up in Denver last weekend. That thing was really nice, but for $25k it should be! I'll also be going to Expo West where my goal will be to checkout other trailers. But I must say, the modding you guys are doing makes me want to do it to!

Erling, I'm really interested in what trails you end up doing pulling you Scout since I'm here in CO as well.

Etoimos

Observer
Oh, have any of you thought about mounting your spare tire on top of the box, between it and the RTT? If you also add water tank(s) under the trailer, it should cancel out the top heaviness. I know it would still raise the center of gravity some, but not by much I would think.

Arctic Cat

Adventurer
I'm pulling my trailer with a 2001 Ford F250 with a Reading Box in the rear. Because of the box, I had a hard time finding a rack from it, at least no without paying a premium. So I repurposed the trailer crate and began making my own rack.29177299_10211101398916095_1777902434867927502_n.jpgcrate.jpgrack 1.jpgrack 2.jpg

View attachment 430656View attachment 430657

Finished my little pull out pantry and put side on stove drawer to turn it into just a drawer with lock on it. Also put a bungee net across front of pantry to keep stuff In it

Midnightsun -- In your pic i see your switch (power) panel. Id like to do something similar, can you describe how you did it? I am an electrical noob BTW so the more simple the better (small words )

Multi-Quote This Message

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Thanks guys for starting this thread and keeping it going. I've been kicking around the idea of an offraod trailer for a couple years now (I want some thing small and trail ready and the wife would prefer something more glamperish... go figure). I initially saw the Scout and thought it looked cool, but the Smittybilt name made me move on without much time spent on it. This thread has revived my interest in it.

I'll be pulling a CJ tub trailer through Death Valley for a week (a loaner) and I also checked out one of the Boarder Land trails up in Denver last weekend. That thing was really nice, but for $25k it should be! I'll also be going to Expo West where my goal will be to checkout other trailers. But I must say, the modding you guys are doing makes me want to do it to!

Erling, I'm really interested in what trails you end up doing pulling you Scout since I'm here in CO as well.

My tow vehicle is a 2017 Ford Escape. I know that if the Escape will clear, the Smitty will as well. If you believe my 19 old daughter, I will soon have a JL ( as I work for our local Ford, Toyota and Jeep dealer) I am however not so sure. Regardless in the meantime I will not be doing too much crazy stuff with that being the case. If ya wanna see one, you are most welcome any time if you flow through Grand Junction. I just pillaged a Engel fridge...... My journey is complete.... Almost.. :)

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Thanks for the comments. Box on the side is actually a Jeep box that should go behind the back seats of a two door. Not too many of them left out there and is not cheap but I liked the shape of it with the slanted front. The drawback is it only fits on one side of the trailer but I keep my fuel on the other side anyway.
Trailer performed really good on the highway even at high speed but it freaked me out few times when it got really wobbly, I think because of side winds. Maybe it has something to do with independent wheels, it was not swaying just going up and down on opposite sides.
We just came back from riding Hell’s Revenge in the Jeep - what a blast ?. The little Jeep that could.

That is great to hear Richard. Hells is a respectable trail. Cheers to you and your fam Sir. :) :)

ebrabaek

Adventurer
I managed to pillage an Engel 40 qt marine keeeeeewler for $600 locally. It is a wee bit big, so I will need to fab another basket for the right side gen/fridge box on the smitty.

Hey all,
I ordered my trailer (should get it in 2 weeks) and id like to start getting the electrical purchased in advance. I have looked through the posts... can you help me with the supplies?
I am planning to have immediately - exterior lighting around the trailer, lighting run up to my tent, ability to charge the battery either by my generator or by solar. And maybe in the future water heater / pump (this will come later)

Here is what I think i need so far -

1. A switch, these seems to be the preferred type https://www.amazon.com/DCFlat-Water...rd_wg=yc6pk&psc=1&refRID=SW6PB6PBRF75MR0W44TH
2. A battery - i already have this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IIZ0IS8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3. What wire would you suggest?
5. The led lights (not sure which yet)

I know I am missing a lot, I dont have a lot of experience in this :)
Any help is appreciated!

mspenc45

Re-coating Bed Liner?

Has anyone done the bed liner over the existing chinacoat powder coat? Does it hold up, or must one remove the existing powder coat before re-coating with bed liner material. Whats the best bed liner coating for home application?

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Has anyone done the bed liner over the existing chinacoat powder coat? Does it hold up, or must one remove the existing powder coat before re-coating with bed liner material. Whats the best bed liner coating for home application?

I have just done the fenderwells. Mind you the frame of the trailer is zinc galvanized, and I find that the stock powder coat does not stick to that as well as the top sheet metal.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Rather than fab up a whole new fridge pan, I found that with a little modification the stock pan would hold the Engel 40qt marine cooler. I did have to cut a bit off the front plate, as the length of the Engel is 25 inches.
Then I had to raise the bottom, and I did so with 4 corners of foam pads. Note the 4 corners filled with a precut piece of blue foam, and the front cut out.
IMG_7734.jpg

Then another piece of foam in the corners was bonded on top of the lower piece, with 5 minute epoxy.
IMG_7735.jpg

Then the Engel was sat down. I also did cut off the protruding 4 stainless bolts sticking out from the tray roller ( inside the basket).
IMG_7736.jpg
IMG_7738.jpg
IMG_7739.jpg
IMG_7740.jpg

Fits snugly in there....
IMG_7741.jpg

mspenc45

Rather than fab up a whole new fridge pan, I found that with a little modification the stock pan would hold the Engel 40qt marine cooler. I did have to cut a bit off the front plate, as the length of the Engel is 25 inches.
Then I had to raise the bottom, and I did so with 4 corners of foam pads. Note the 4 corners filled with a precut piece of blue foam, and the front cut out.
View attachment 439899

Then another piece of foam in the corners was bonded on top of the lower piece, with 5 minute epoxy.
View attachment 439900

Then the Engel was sat down. I also did cut off the protruding 4 stainless bolts sticking out from the tray roller ( inside the basket).
View attachment 439901
View attachment 439902
View attachment 439903
View attachment 439904

Fits snugly in there....
View attachment 439905

Why Engel?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94