Thread: Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

  1. #571
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    98
    Yep, just finished of a plate of burnt end brisket boudin, where all of the ingredients are cooked on the smoker!

    I was just talking with one of the guys that I'm going to run High Water Mark with next weekend and he mentioned putting me in the back in case we have to turn around so I'll hopefully have more room to turn around. That got me to thinking about building a hitch I could extend out the back of the trailer that would allow the trailer to be towed backwards in case of emergency. I got a full joint of 2" square to mount my tire swing on, so I'm thinking about cutting a length off that, that will slide into the rear receiver and extend as far forwards a possible. I think it'll be about 4 feet before it reaches the tube the swing arms mount to, there I'll add a short section of tubing the 2" will slide into to keep it from bouncing around to much. With it slid all the way forward, I'll cut it off flush with the back of the trailer. If I get into a bind I can extend it out and bolt the ball hitch on to it. I can then set it on a 2" ball and pull it backwards.

  2. #572
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Grand Valley CO
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkhawk View Post
    Yep, just finished of a plate of burnt end brisket boudin, where all of the ingredients are cooked on the smoker!

    I was just talking with one of the guys that I'm going to run High Water Mark with next weekend and he mentioned putting me in the back in case we have to turn around so I'll hopefully have more room to turn around. That got me to thinking about building a hitch I could extend out the back of the trailer that would allow the trailer to be towed backwards in case of emergency. I got a full joint of 2" square to mount my tire swing on, so I'm thinking about cutting a length off that, that will slide into the rear receiver and extend as far forwards a possible. I think it'll be about 4 feet before it reaches the tube the swing arms mount to, there I'll add a short section of tubing the 2" will slide into to keep it from bouncing around to much. With it slid all the way forward, I'll cut it off flush with the back of the trailer. If I get into a bind I can extend it out and bolt the ball hitch on to it. I can then set it on a 2" ball and pull it backwards.
    After you mount the tire on the swing, one person can maneuver the trailer via lifting the front tounghe. So it will be easy to disconnect, flip the trailer 180 then set it aside ready to tow in the other direction.
    What your proposing is off course doable, with some crazy negative tongue weights, but not necessary imho.
    Are you only using 2x2 as frame material for the swing mount??
    There are a lot of twist and torque on it.

  3. #573
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    98
    Yeah, the negative tongue weight concerns me, like I said it would only be for emergency use and I would probably shift some weight around to minimize that. I'm looking forward to getting the tire moved to the back and gaining maneuverability. I could also us the 2" tube out the front to give me a better lever arm to make it more maneuverable as is.

    Yeah, I ran some calculations on the torsion of the 2" x 2" x 1/4" tube my spindle will be mounted on. Totally ignoring the upper hinge, and with 250 pounds (much more than I'm planning on running) centered on the swing arm, it will still have almost a 2 to 1 safety factor when opened to 90 degrees and less than 0.02 degrees of rotation. If it was going to be an on road trailer, I would be happy with that. Since I'm going to be banging it around off road, I wasn't quite comfortable with that even though it probably would suffice.

    The main bars of the swing frame are 2" x 3" x 11ga. Since I ended up using 2 hinges, I know its well over built so I didn't bother running any calculations on it.

  4. #574
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Grand Valley CO
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkhawk View Post
    Yeah, the negative tongue weight concerns me, like I said it would only be for emergency use and I would probably shift some weight around to minimize that. I'm looking forward to getting the tire moved to the back and gaining maneuverability. I could also us the 2" tube out the front to give me a better lever arm to make it more maneuverable as is.

    Yeah, I ran some calculations on the torsion of the 2" x 2" x 1/4" tube my spindle will be mounted on. Totally ignoring the upper hinge, and with 250 pounds (much more than I'm planning on running) centered on the swing arm, it will still have almost a 2 to 1 safety factor when opened to 90 degrees and less than 0.02 degrees of rotation. If it was going to be an on road trailer, I would be happy with that. Since I'm going to be banging it around off road, I wasn't quite comfortable with that even though it probably would suffice.

    The main bars of the swing frame are 2" x 3" x 11ga. Since I ended up using 2 hinges, I know its well over built so I didn't bother running any calculations on it.
    Well.... That sounds like you have a great plan forward.
    FYI.... The smitty stock Jeep swing carrier arm is fabbed from 3/16 inch thickness.
    Looking forward to see it being built.

  5. #575
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Grand Valley CO
    Posts
    77
    Finally, I had an opportunity to weld the final rear jack design in place. Rather than using the odd ball square tubing the jack braces came with, I started from scratch with good ole American 1.5x1.5x120 steel. I used 2 x 3/16 flat bar to weld the outside housing.
    I then fabbed the round jack collar from 2 x 120 inch pipe. Drilled the holes, welded it up and then painted it black.
    IMG_7643.jpg
    IMG_7644.jpg
    IMG_7645.jpg

    I used 3/8 inch pins purchased from the tractor supply store, and sat the jacks in place.
    IMG_7646.jpg
    IMG_7647.jpg
    This is the position the system will be in while camping.

  6. #576
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Grand Valley CO
    Posts
    77
    Then when you mobilize you unhook the jack. Turn the jack tube 180 deg upside down........ and re install the jacks....
    IMG_7648.jpg
    IMG_7649.jpg
    IMG_7650.jpg

    This will be the configuration for on road towing.
    Last edited by ebrabaek; 02-15-2018 at 10:36 PM.

  7. #577
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Grand Valley CO
    Posts
    77
    When you then need more clearance and better departure angle, you can turn them sideways ( with a strap for the handles off course...
    IMG_7651.jpg

    The total with is on par with the with of the tires. If you need more clearance due to tight trails.... then you can rotate them upside down....
    IMG_7652.jpg
    Last edited by ebrabaek; 02-15-2018 at 10:37 PM.

  8. #578
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    98
    Looks great! I don't remember if I posted it here but the little ball stretch cords work great for holding the handles up. https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piec...set-47302.html

  9. #579
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Grand Valley CO
    Posts
    77
    A few extra close ups....
    IMG_7653.jpg
    IMG_7654.jpg
    IMG_7655.jpg
    IMG_7656.jpg
    IMG_7657.jpg
    IMG_7658.jpg
    I am very satisfied with this set up. It is another benefit to having a rear swing spare tire mounted bumper.
    Last edited by ebrabaek; 02-15-2018 at 10:48 PM.

  10. #580
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Grand Valley CO
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkhawk View Post
    Looks great! I don't remember if I posted it here but the little ball stretch cords work great for holding the handles up. https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piec...set-47302.html
    Ha..... I was just there for some sanding discs..... Well.... Back again. Thank you for the link. Yeppers, I really like the functionality of this setup. They also adds a little to the " lessening of the tongue weight"

Page 58 of 60 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •