Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Midnightsun

Adventurer
I owe ya. I'm gonna flag truck on over to your side of state!! You will get your email. Shocked me. There is a YouTube vid from jeepers den. I like how he sprayed his trailer with line X I might do that. Underneath also.

I am kind of stuck where I want to put a water tank at.
From what I can see we have 2 options.

Option 1 is what I want to do, but it would increase tongue weight.
This would allow for low profile and increase water capacity (18 gallons)
The trailer already has a decent tounge weight with the spare tire upfront.
I don't really want to move the tire to the rear and build a carrier, for ease of opening the rear...

Option 2 would allow for 16 gallons.
Pros- it would allow for the weight to be center with the tires
Cons- it would be a tight fit between the two rear tires
- it would hang 13 inches below the frame not leaving very much space for ground clearance.

I have been talking with the R&D gentlemen from Pro Comp about what water tank they were originally going to include with the trailer, but waiting to hear back from him.

I am considering this for under the spare tire area (no pump included) :
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002N5JBVY/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I4AD29C8LCX8X&colid=38Y88TZI1MUWN

This would straddle the tires:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200337116_200337116

What say you?
Sorry I can't figure out how to rotate the images the right way. Can someone help?

IMG_5490.JPG
IMG_5491.JPG

Midnightsun

Adventurer
I'd get rid of spare tire and put a 3-4 inch thick tank right on front of big box. 12 gal plenty. I don't think I'd put tank under neath. Might warrant skid plate more weight.

Midnightsun

Adventurer
Also make sure you are installing a potable water tank. That one tank is a sprayer tank , I have one twice that size to pull behind my mower to spray fertilizer on yard. Just a heads up

From Smittybilt representive! They have been great help trouble solving an issue I had, and all the questions I had.

The original design was in front of the trailing arms. It hung too low and
added some tongue weigh, which I didnt like. It was just over 15 gallons.
Being a stainless steel baffled tank , it was quite expensive to produce.

If I were to do one, I'd put it in between the trailing arms, as far reward
as possible. This basically puts the load slight reward of the axle line.
there are several companies that make a molded water storage tank. You
would have to build a skid plate/tank mount. I had it plumbed with a 12
volt on demand pump.

18x18 x 7 would fit nicely and give you about 9.8 gallons. If you did a
trapezoidal shape you can get a little more capacity and still clear the
trailing arms. I would have the fill port in the middle so that a hole
could be placed between the rear sliding drawers.

If you get a plastic tank, look for food grade FDA approved virgin
polyethylene poly resin. Plastic-mart is one good source.

http://www.plasticwatertanks.com/p/r77zt/9-gallon-water-holding-tank-ronco-r
vb532

Hope this helps.

mrchips

Adventurer
Just carry a spacer incase you need to use Jeep spare tire that is a different bolt pattern< what I use, My jeep is 5 x5.5, and trailer is 4x5, quick fix without having to buy a tire carrier and spare etc

RichardPT

Richard
Scout trailer build north of the border

Hi guys,
This is just a short introduction as I've been reading this post for a while now but did not have a chance to contribute to it so far. I ordered the "no wheels" package at the beginning of the summer but between 6 week wait and my holidays I only got to building it couple weeks ago. Few hiccups along the way (some missing parts, difficulties finding spacers to fit jeep wheels, incorrect trailer wiring - all solved with support of local 4wheel parts and Smittybilt) I finally got it on the road last weekend. Pretty happy with it so far, it sure does get a lot of looks and comments along the way. I have it set up with Smittybilt Overlander XL tent and few random accessories that I'm yet to use (annex, 270 degree awning) and some plans for modifications such as adding fuel and water tanks, batteries etc. I'm told by the supplier that I have the first Canadian delivered trailer and likely one from the first batch shipped from China - thus few issues along the way.
Cheers,
Richard

Attachments

• Scout1.jpg
    Scout1.jpg
    562.4 KB · Views: 259
  • Scout2.jpg
    Scout2.jpg
    546.7 KB · Views: 245

Tkhawk

Adventurer
Rwb_runner what are your thoughts on that arq awning? I was strongly considering the rhino rack 270, but that arq is ridiculously cheap. We do some beach camping so it would have too stand up to some wind.

Silverback07

Adventurer
I had yet to get mine on the road with the RTT on so I pulled it out and took it down the road. Towed well. Brought it home and sprayed the tent and annex with fabric guard/sealer. It was stupid hot outside so it dried fast at least. Planning to take it out and actually use it early in Sept.. I really hope it cools off a little bit. I can't wait to use this thing!

IMG_9399.jpg

IMG_9401.jpg

IMG_9405.jpg

McDowra

Observer
I placed my order on the 8th hoping it would be here by the middle of September. I do wish they would do a better job of giving us a shipping date.

It's not a fox wing by any stretch, but it works and functions as it should.
Cons.
-When I received it it has some metal shaving in the case, no big deal, I just cleaned it out. The fabric was fine.
-The metal frame that the awning stows inside had some rough edges, concerned with that I filed and smooth them down. I did This just in case.
-I recently was out in the pouring rain with awning deployed for 4 hours, it held up fine but started having rain drop sweep through the fabric. (No big deal I guess, I will get get a can of water proofing fabric spray.)
-there are no side wall options.

Pros
-it held up during moderate wind, heavy rain, and thunderstorms.
-A lot cheaper than fox wing!
-It does not use support poles / legs to hold itself up when deployed.
-It literally sets up in 30 seconds to a minute. Open it up extend 2 poles tie off to a point done.
-It does it job
With that being said, Yes I would buy it again. For $300 ( half the price of a foxwing) something that I might use 2 times a month, it was worth the purchase. I just can't justify that purchase of something close to $1000.
Not to say they do not make a bomb proof product, just for me at this time it doesn't make sense.

Rwb_runner what are your thoughts on that arq awning? I was strongly considering the rhino rack 270, but that arq is ridiculously cheap. We do some beach camping so it would have too stand up to some wind.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I am kind of stuck where I want to put a water tank at.
From what I can see we have 2 options.

Option 1 is what I want to do, but it would increase tongue weight.
This would allow for low profile and increase water capacity (18 gallons)
The trailer already has a decent tounge weight with the spare tire upfront.
I don't really want to move the tire to the rear and build a carrier, for ease of opening the rear...

Option 2 would allow for 16 gallons.
Pros- it would allow for the weight to be center with the tires
Cons- it would be a tight fit between the two rear tires
- it would hang 13 inches below the frame not leaving very much space for ground clearance.

I have been talking with the R&D gentlemen from Pro Comp about what water tank they were originally going to include with the trailer, but waiting to hear back from him.

I am considering this for under the spare tire area (no pump included) :
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002N5JBVY/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I4AD29C8LCX8X&colid=38Y88TZI1MUWN

This would straddle the tires:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200337116_200337116

What say you?
Sorry I can't figure out how to rotate the images the right way. Can someone help?

View attachment 414524
View attachment 414523

Here you go.

IMG_5490.JPGIMG_5491.JPG

Tkhawk

Adventurer
Well, I still haven't gotten any shipping info yet, I was hoping I'd get an email right after midnightsun, seeing as he's closer to China maybe they will be dropping his off on the way to me.

Thanks RWB_Runner, I shot them an email asking about how the awning stands up to wind. For the money savings compared to the amount I'll be using it, it does seem the better route for now.

Tkhawk

Adventurer
Woohoo! Northridge shows shipped! Still no email or tracking info, but it's on the way!

Just ordered an arq to go with it. And hopefully I'll be picking up a tent this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke