Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Tkhawk

Adventurer
On my CVT there is a velcro flap where the hinge is. I'm going to run it out thru there and that ends up very close to the rack, so I can then drop it in the tubing. I'll also tee off so I can have some lighting in the annex.

There are a whole lot of Texans here!!!

Midnightsun

Adventurer
Lot of good points on putting power in the tent. I don't think my tent has light or usb port inside but does come with a UNI-SEX URNAL!!! :victory: and yea there a lot of Texans on here. Also have you notice price of trailer going up? 6500. 6700. I kinda figured that. We all got a real bargain

Tkhawk

Adventurer
But the zipper starts and stops in the corners by the hinge. It'll be tight but I think it'll fit without too much trouble.

Wow, I hadn't noticed the price lately.

Midnightsun

Adventurer
Have another question? Come on tell the truth. How many of us using air bags on the rear of rigs? I weighed trailer empty no spare on it and it was 1380 and jeep stayed level so when I put battery and genset on it jeep squatted 1 inch. So I ordered a set of airbags to go inside rear coils to keep it level. Silverback your the most advanced on your trailer and your rig sets nice. What did you do to your back end?

RichardPT

Richard
I installed Air Lift air bags in the rear springs of my jeep but I had slightly different reasons for it; I don't have heavy batteries in the tongue box but when I travelled with my family of four + dog and trailer attached I think I was pushing the recommended payload of the jeep over the "red line" and the back was sitting down really low. It's a bit ridicules that two door Rubicon has a recommended payload of only 920 lbs. 4 people and a trailer tongue weight of 2-300 lbs takes it easily over the limit.

Midnightsun

Adventurer
Mine 2 door also. I only have one 40lb battery in box but is combination of other things. Love my trailer but it has more tounge weight than I bargain for ,it's not horrible but concerning

Silverback07

Adventurer
Have another question? Come on tell the truth. How many of us using air bags on the rear of rigs? I weighed trailer empty no spare on it and it was 1380 and jeep stayed level so when I put battery and genset on it jeep squatted 1 inch. So I ordered a set of airbags to go inside rear coils to keep it level. Silverback your the most advanced on your trailer and your rig sets nice. What did you do to your back end?

I have Old Man Emu Dakar rear leafs with the extra leaf. They are about 9 years old now so they could probably stand to be replaced. It actually squatted a lot when I had it loaded to the gills. But I had a lot of weight back there, more than I needed to be honest. 25 gallons of gas, 15 gallons of water, 45 qt Pelican full of ice and adult sodas, couple extra cases of soda and adult soda, probably 100lbs of tools and parts. Plus I have a group 31 Odyssey marine battery which weighs about 75 lbs in the tongue box. OME makes a new set of Dakar HD's which are designed for guys who regularly keep 660 lbs in the back of their rig all the time... which I am very close to that. That all being said next time I take it out I am not bringing that much fuel and redistributing the tools and parts to the tool box in the front of the bed. Hoping I can get a rear bumper with swingout for the spare tire and some fuel cans fabbed up this winter to help offset the weight.

Crappy photo but you can see its squatting a bit. This was just before we rolled out so it was at max weight.

edit.. photo is even worse than I can see on my phone... I'll try to find a better one.
IMG_9843.jpg

Last edited:

Silverback07

Adventurer
My main concern is the jockey wheel, it needs to be something more stout, something I can drop the trailer on the trail and turn the trailer with a winch pulling on the tongue or people pushing it. The one that is on there is even a PITA to move in my garage on epoxied flooring. Can't image moving it in the dirt... even smooth level dirt.

Silverback07

Adventurer
But the zipper starts and stops in the corners by the hinge. It'll be tight but I think it'll fit without too much trouble.

Wow, I hadn't noticed the price lately.

Good point... didn't think of that. Might need to look into that option again.

Tkhawk

Adventurer
Silverback07 do you have any concepts for your swing out? I've been playing around with the idea of adding square tubing around the outside of the back of the box to reinforce it, replacing the hinges, bracing the door, adding a locating device to keep the door from sagging when closed, then hanging the tire/cans from the door.

Silverback07

Adventurer
Silverback07 do you have any concepts for your swing out? I've been playing around with the idea of adding square tubing around the outside of the back of the box to reinforce it, replacing the hinges, bracing the door, adding a locating device to keep the door from sagging when closed, then hanging the tire/cans from the door.

I have a couple ideas... mainly adding 2" box that goes from the front of the box.. area that has the larger section of tubing. Anyhow add one each down the side and potentially 3 down the middle. Was going to go with one but decided on 3. Cut off the factory D-ring mounts and receiver tube. Add a piece of 2x3 for the bumper center structure.. building from there. This would require removing brake and light wiring from lower section of frame prior to in order to prevent melting it inside the tube when welding.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer

Have you considered getting a HitchGate? That way if you have center of gravity issues you can sell the thing?

gilpinrobert

Some of you guys are doing some pretty awesome things to your trailer. Kind of jealous. Mine is still pretty much factory besides a few things. My biggest concern is weight. Don't want to modify it so much that now I have a ton of weight to tow around on the trail.

Tkhawk

Adventurer
I had thought about building something simular, to the hitch gate. It would require replacing the receiver on the trailer, it's only rated for 200 pounds. I would do like silverback07 and run the receiver tube all the forward to the front of the box, maybe all the way up the tounge, I don't foresee having to unbolt the tounge for any reason. I'd then add 1.5" receivers where the tow points are. I'm thinking something like this, https://www.quadratec.com/brand/versahitch?ka=versahitch parts & accessories Even if the receiver was rated for enough the hitch gate doesn't look like it would work do to the top of the receiver being almost flush with the door of the box. The wheels are placed so far back I don't foresee any center of gravity issues with the tire and cans back there, it almost needs it to fix the weight distribution.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94