Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I think I'm going to purchase a max coupler for towing this trailer. Any thoughts on the standard vs. the extended length?

Midnightsun

Adventurer
Yes pump came with heater. Yea works great. They been around long time. I added quick connects for propane and shower hose. Have question about your aligning wheels. On your toe? Did u set wheel parallel with chassis? Or set front of wheel with toe in 2-3mm?

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Yes pump came with heater. Yea works great. They been around long time. I added quick connects for propane and shower hose. Have question about your aligning wheels. On your toe? Did u set wheel parallel with chassis? Or set front of wheel with toe in 2-3mm?

Thanks. I think I will go that way as well.
After visiting the local alignment place, picking their brains, I left the Toe @ zero. In reality this is what is going on, IMHO, the frame is actually not 100% straight. At the very least the rubberized coating on the frame will result in about 10mm variance @ 20 feet distance. I measured just about everywhere, and almost went to just use the box or 2x2 square tube for the RTT ( as pictured), but decided to just gently tap the frame with a hammer to flatten the pesky rubberized finish. That brought the frame left+right both front and rear more consistent. Going forward the laser was battling with the forward marker lights...lol, but after taking several reading, I also marked the center of the trailer 20 feet in front and rear. I got within 6'ish mm of true, and decided that was very respectable with a 20 foot arm.
You can certainly toe in a few mm's if you wish.
The main thing I wanted to convey, was that mine was far out of whack, even it towed straight. Id hate to find that a year down the road, needing to replace the tires.

Midnightsun

Adventurer
I didn't have laser light and wouldn't know the calibration per foot away from wheel. I used straight edge across tire then long metal ruler off of box setting my toe. I toed in 3mm then used straight edge and torpedo level for camber as close to 0 as I could get. I added some extra weight in trailer to compensate for future junk

Bullseye240

Adventurer
The reality about toe on a trailer is that as long as the tires/rims are parallel with each other you won't cause excessive wear on the tires unless you have tandem axles fighting each other. Since the trailer is being towed via a single point at the front, the critical measure is if the overall axle centerline is perpendicular to the centerline of the frame to make it tow straight. Excessive camber will wear inside or outside of the tire and caster on a trailer just doesn't exist. Since these trailers have independent suspension I would want to make sure the centerline of each axle is perpendicular to the frame centerline and the hitch point is centered along that line.

Axle Alignment.jpg
The lower right image is what you are after.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles