Project Wannabe Overlanding - A Lackluster 2005 Ford Expedition Build

Judge Mills

Hello, all.. I'm out on several forums, but this one has a great, supportive group and features the best, most functional projects I've ever seen. So, I'm here to lower your level to mediocrity.

I bought my 2005 Ford Expedition 3 years ago to haul around this family of 4 to the ocean beaches, the icy roads, and to the forest gravel roads. I'm obviously limited to where I can go, due to shear size, independent rear suspension, and novice wheeling skills. But, we had a great time a couple years ago in the Wenatchee National Forest, and as long as I can get around places like that, I'm happy.

Two weeks ago I got an 87' Jayco tent trailer. Obviously not a Jeep trailer, but it'll get us out of the house. This week I built a 4" lift, and installed taller tires, for a total of 7" lift. This brought on the name for my tandem, Project Wannabe Overlanding. We are planning a tiny trip next week, just to a camp ground.

I found out this year the previous owner installed a "leveling" kit on the front of the Expedition. This makes the truck look like it's sagging in the rear. I have a 2.5" rear lift waiting to go in, I just need to set aside some time to finish it.

As far as mods to the truck, nothing much! I installed some LED fog lights in the rear "bumper" (just a plastic cap, really) so we could see down our sloped, curvy driveway. I also installed a cheap LED bar behind the front grille. Good enough for now. I also scored free Yakima bars from my brother, but haven't attached anything to them yet. We might borrow a kayak for our trip next week. This truck has been extremely reliable. Almost 150k miles, and just changed the spark plugs last week. If you know anything about the 5.4 Triton, you know that's the worst part of the engine. I changed one plug, and after that 6 hour fiasco, I paid a local shop to change the rest. Worth it!

Future plans: 1: fab up a bike rack for the trailer, 2: better tires for the Expedition, just a smidgen taller & wider, thinking BFG AT's, but you can sway me a different direction. 3: ??? I'm open to suggestions. We aren't a hardcore off the grid family, but want to enjoy some time off the pavement.

Without further ado, here's my Wannabe Overlanding setup.

(You know when people only list lights as mods that they don't know what they're doing :) )

EDIT: I can't post imgur links? Maybe I have to have a certain amount of posts before I can do that. Here you can see the trailer attached to the Expediton before the lift, the lights on the truck, and the lift on the trailer.

Attachments

• expy3.jpg
    expy3.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 51
  • expy.jpg
    expy.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 51
  • before after.jpg
    before after.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 63
  • NGFVvJm.jpg
    NGFVvJm.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 70

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Welcome to the Portal. Always nice to see something a little different. We've actually had one or two IRS Expeditions on the board. Looking at that last photo I'd say you definitley need to lift the rear a bit, especially pulling a trailer.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures.

justbecause

perpetually lost
adventure driven is doing an expedition build currently. I am considering an 07+ model when they jumped the towing capacity over 9000.
there are a couple of nice expeditions around here (or there were until a certain image hosting site decided to use the nuclear option)

check out the general grabber ATIIs. made in the USA and less expensive than a BFG. I have run 2 sets, the first of which was abused and neglected to no end and faithfully gave us over 50k miles, the second set it being properly taken care of and except for some minor rock rash (user error I think) are holding up just as well.

Judge Mills

adventure driven is doing an expedition build currently. I am considering an 07+ model when they jumped the towing capacity over 9000.
there are a couple of nice expeditions around here (or there were until a certain image hosting site decided to use the nuclear option)

check out the general grabber ATIIs. made in the USA and less expensive than a BFG. I have run 2 sets, the first of which was abused and neglected to no end and faithfully gave us over 50k miles, the second set it being properly taken care of and except for some minor rock rash (user error I think) are holding up just as well.
Thanks for the tip on the General's! I think I'll be tire shopping next year. The current tires are a Les Schwab (pacific northwest tire chain) Wild Country XTX. They are an all terrain with the snow rating. So far they've only seen pavement, sand, and gravel.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Judge Mills

Welcome to the Portal. Always nice to see something a little different. We've actually had one or two IRS Expeditions on the board. Looking at that last photo I'd say you definitley need to lift the rear a bit, especially pulling a trailer.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures.
I ran out of time this week to install the rear lift, but hopefully by the end of the month.

Judge Mills

Well, it looks like it took me 10 months before getting around to installing the lift in the rear. It's a bad "after" picture, but you get the idea! Now I need to wait for the tires to wear out so I can some better tread/a little taller/a little wider. I am hoping to use the same wheels, so my options may be limited. My next project is making a molle-type panel and installing a CB radio.
b638c41adecc2415ca81cbffb3ea8582.jpg
39b78f374eb9d95395bc31999fd33bb9.jpg

Judge Mills

I wanted to update with some pictures of my last real trip, nearly 3 years ago!

Because of my profession, (lets just say I work in outdoor recreation) it has been extremely difficult to get a weekend off in the summer and go out on an organized trip. In fact, it's been nearly three years since myself and a few work friends went a day trip across the Wenatchee National Forest. starting in Ellensburg and coming out near Leavenworth.

Anyway, here are some pictures from that trip. Thanks for the awesome website!

Expy 11.jpgExpy 13.jpg
Expy 15.jpg

Expy 4.jpg

Expy 10.jpg

Expy 6.jpg

al_burpe

Observer
Well, it looks like it took me 10 months before getting around to installing the lift in the rear. It's a bad "after" picture, but you get the idea! Now I need to wait for the tires to wear out so I can some better tread/a little taller/a little wider. I am hoping to use the same wheels, so my options may be limited. My next project is making a molle-type panel and installing a CB radio.
b638c41adecc2415ca81cbffb3ea8582.jpg
39b78f374eb9d95395bc31999fd33bb9.jpg

It definitely looks better with the rear lift installed. I wonder why the previous owner would only do the front. My understanding was that the front was supposed to be 2.5" and the rear 1.5". Anyway, I like your trailer too. I just got a 2005 expedition myself (I think you posted on my thread) and plan to in the next year get a pop up trailer to pull behind it. We are about to have our second little girl, so we will also be a family of four. We are due in a week, so I am not in a hurry to get much done to the Expedition as we probably won't be getting out until she is a month plus and my wife has had time to recover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94