ATTN: Titan, Frontier, & Xterra Owners.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I seen this on thenewx.org but figured some folks here might not cruise the other forums as much.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/9-general-xterra/241154-recall-notice-side-curtain-airbags.html

As a voluntary service campaign they are reprogramming the airbag sensors to correct the well known issue about the side airbag going off in conditions where you get off camber or lean the vehicle too far. This results in unnecessary damage and expense, and could possibly injure occupants when there is no event warranting an airbag deployment.

If you own a 2004-2014 Titan, 2005-2014 Frontier, or 2005-2014 Xterra and take it off road, this is of interest to you.

You can run a search using your VIN# here: https://www.nissanusa.com/recalls-vin/#/#/Home

Currently there are mixed results on the sucess of the reprogram and the ability of the dealers to complete it. So you may wish to monitor it or quiz your dealer.

I'm scheduled for late next week to take my Xterra in.

Info from Nissan below, this is a copy of what appeared when I ran my VIN#

SUMMARYThe current Air Bag Control Unit (ACU) rollover-sensing calibration logic could allow for unintended curtain air bag deployment in rare instances occurring under certain unique driving scenarios, usually involving unpaved roads or off-road where one side of the vehicle is higher than the other.

[h=3]REMEDY[/h]Nissan is conducting a Voluntary Service Campaign to reprogram the ACU in 2004-2014 Titan, 2005-2014 Frontier, and 2005-2014 Xterra vehicles. Nissan authorized dealers will reprogram the ACU with updated software. The ACU reprogramming will improve rollover-sensing calibration to address certain unique driving scenarios, and help prevent unintended rollover curtain air bag deployment, while maintaining the design intent for deployment in rollover crashes. This service, which is conducted at no charge to you for parts and labor, should take approximately two (2) hours to complete. However, your Nissan dealer may require your vehicle for a longer period of time based upon their work schedule.

Please contact your Nissan Dealer with any questions or comments about your Nissan.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Thanks for the heads up. I checked both our Titans and one is on the recall list and one isn't. I'll get the 2010 scheduled ASAP.

WEK207

Got my notice in the mail last week. Haven't dealt with my local dealer yet, should be interesting.

MNCarl

The Moose
Went to the Nissan dealer got the air bag sensor update and an oil change.
The dealer said it would take about 1.5 hours to update the sensor but it only added about 1/2 hour on top of the oil change.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I had the same experience as Carl this morning. Was told it would take 2 hours and done in 1 hour with 30 minutes of that waiting for the service rep to finish the paperwork.

E.J.

Explorer
Took mine in and had it back two hours later. I think the set my ECU into "learn" mode, the truck idled kind of rough and responded funny for a couple of days. It's acting all normal now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles