Day two of learning my wife to ride

I got her back on the bike. Boots, elbow guards, helmet; check. Key in, choke on, kickstand up, choke off, pull clutch, throttle, let off clutch take off!
P8040105.jpg

She had a great time again today, although the damn heat index is like 116* outside.

Today, we did obstacle avoidance, slaloming around several milk jugs. Started off a bit shakey, but she got the hang of it.
Video clip of doing the obstacle.

http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/glowingeenklr650/Motorcycle/XT225/?action=view&current=P8040108.flv .

Then, I set up a bucket for her to do a 15 mph corner. Nailed it. Now a bit higher speed braking. I asked if she was using her rear brake.... "Oh yeah, i forgot about it!" So, I instructed her to use just the back brake, pushing it till it locked up and releasing it so that she could get the feel of it. She ended up coming to a near stop with her feet on the peg and tried taking off again. Well, she was in third gear and stalled out. Dropping the bike.
P8040111.jpg

P8040112.jpg

It gave the neighbors who had come out to watch a decent laugh, and suprisingly, Kacy was laughing too while she was picking the bike up, all by herself! Just like a champ!

P8040110.jpg

Tomorrow we'll try on the pavement to get her used to stopping on pavement and turning in a gravel parking lot. Then I'll try and show her how to feather the clutch, how to start going up a hill, riding over obstacles and standing up a bit. I think she can handle it!

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
From the pics and description it looks like you guys are having a good time learning and teaching. I know I've had fun with both.

:roost:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Good for you for putting her in the right gear. :clapsmile Before you advance to real pavement and speed, I'd look into the pants and jacket.

Ursidae69 said:
Good for you for putting her in the right gear. :clapsmile Before you advance to real pavement and speed, I'd look into the pants and jacket.

She's got both already from when we would commute on my old vstrom. 120+ miles round trip. But yeh, definately she will.

dirtysouth

Adventurer
Good on you Scott for taking the time and working with her. I'm glad you guys went with the XT versus the DRZ. I had one and it's a tall bike even with me being 205lbs compressing the spring. It looks like she is doing better than a lot of guys over on ADV. :ylsmoke:

dirtysouth said:
Good on you Scott for taking the time and working with her. I'm glad you guys went with the XT versus the DRZ. I had one and it's a tall bike even with me being 205lbs compressing the spring. It looks like she is doing better than a lot of guys over on ADV. :ylsmoke:

I really like the DRZ... thought about keeping it and selling my XRL, but my XRL is already kitted out and has fewer miles than the DRZ did. I think the fella who bought the DRZ is going to enjoy it though, him and a couple others are heading to Baja in a couple months.

I was actually able to use the bike and ride it like a trail bike. The XT is geared down a front tooth and is pretty snappy... I'm actually wanting to try it on a trail one day. Revvving enough can pop a decent wheelie. Its a fun little bike, I'm already enjoying it! I think she is too. I wish Dirt-Bagz made a set of brackets for it though.... thats the luggage I want. I'm thinking of making them myself.

tommudd

Explorer
I remember teaching my first wife to ride, it went pretty good until she really twisted the throttle. I was teaching her on a 77 Kawaski 750 with a big bore kit it in and when you twisted the throttle it ...went! That board fence never did look the same:yikes:

She looks like she is doing great and having a great time doing it as well, wish my current would try it

Tom

Well, my wife finally got her motorcycle endorsement yesterday! :bike_rider:

My bike is in pieces (replacing a few bearings) so we cant go out on a ride yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier