Blueberry Supreme - '86 K20 Suburban

rayra

Expedition Leader
The thread's an oddball, I could not find a match standard, metric or NPT when I had to replace my exhaust manifold on my '85 C-10 and literally chopped out that portion of the old manifold and fashioned it into an adapter and tapped the (former) inner side for a standard pipe thread nipple. Pics of that MacGuyver are in my Vortec topic. Or will be later this week as I tediously re-edit all my image links to reflect my new image hosting fix.

Had to do that because I couldn't find a junkyard match for the manifold. Found something 'close' and the plumbing was different. So I made it work.

eta front cover's a good chuckle. When I pulled the front skid plate off my Sub and cleaned it up, I penned 'LASSIE! GO FOR HELP!' on its bottom side.

AlexCold

Observer
Yeah very weird size, not easy to find. I ended up ordering plugs from Fastenal. Cheaper than the plugs via RockAuto and the parts stores don't carry this size in the quantity I need. Hopefully they arrive next week.

I ordered Cabelas Trail Gear seat covers for the front seats. Really impressed for a universal car seat. Lots of straps to keep it tight. Overall not a bad $40 spent.

Need to do an oil change, brake inspection and hub bearing decrease and I'm ready for daily driving.
Before:
9869c60468802b44b4540df08fa41ae1.jpg

After:
de833b46c5f221b17209b59ac57131a0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Your truck is awesome! I always wanted one like yours. My first car was a 79 Suburban that fell victim to NE Ohio salt and high gas prices back in 2001. College age me couldn't afford to run it anymore so I sold it. I can buy one now but can't fit a motorcycle inside or I would have bought one in a heartbeat. Maybe down the road I'll get my hands on one.

AlexCold

Observer
Your truck is awesome! I always wanted one like yours. My first car was a 79 Suburban that fell victim to NE Ohio salt and high gas prices back in 2001. College age me couldn't afford to run it anymore so I sold it. I can buy one now but can't fit a motorcycle inside or I would have bought one in a heartbeat. Maybe down the road I'll get my hands on one.

Thank you. They've always been a vehicle I've wanted and especially now that I have a family.

AlexCold

Observer
Sorry for not being more consistent with updates but I’m slowly working on it.

48dc8acc73c48ab5c2ea6ab2ab9ec400.jpg

37557b8293db5c7381e2c57d5bc4a2e4.jpg

As you can see the plugs are in and holding well. Basically just 19mm hex plugs, I did find that their the same as late model GM transfer case plugs.

Drove great for some short distance stuff and then found that the carb needed a rebuild since the fuel bowl would leak down and flood the engine. A call to Cliff’s Performance (Quadrajet guru) and we had a rebuild kit and a throttle blade bushing kit. After learning the intricacies of a Quadrajet (a simply complicated carb that works amazing if worked over correctly) and we were off running again. A quick tune and it’s running smoother and snappier than before. Seems great to me for a 6000lb 130hp engine.

Next step is to fix the fuel gauge issue (gauge resistor) and the leaking heater core (huge pain) and ready for duty again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Next step is to fix the fuel gauge issue (gauge resistor) and the leaking heater core (huge pain) and ready for duty again.

Honestly, a square body with air conditioning is a lot easier than without air, without air you have to remove the entire plenum off of the firewall, with air comes out from behind the glove box, not the simplest but a lot easier that a non-air truck.

AlexCold

Observer
Honestly, a square body with air conditioning is a lot easier than without air, without air you have to remove the entire plenum off of the firewall, with air comes out from behind the glove box, not the simplest but a lot easier that a non-air truck.

Yes it turned out to not be so bad once I figured out the sequence. The service manual was less than helpful for how to disassemble the unit.

AlexCold

Observer
Nice 'burb. If you decide in the future to go with larger tires such as a 12.5/33, I would get at least a 4" lift. If not you will have to trim the front fenders for clearance. Definitely get a set of warn premium locking hubs, will help fuel mileage and reduce wear on the front end parts. If it doesn't have rear A/C now, it's going to cost a bunch. I don't think you can get the split pipe from the compressor anymore. I need one for my burb and haven't had any luck finding one yet. The rear housing, fan, and condenser can be found fairly easy. The long hoses from the front to rear are still available as far as I know.
Put some dog dish hubcaps on them rims and she will be ready for date night. :wings:

I have no qualms cutting fenders for clearance, always prefer a lower COG. It will likely get an add-a-leaf to the front to help later. It does have rear A/C, just need to see if the system is leaking and determine if it's been retrofit to R134 or if it's still at R12. Lower priority now that the weather is finally cooling off.

As for the hubs, i've been discussing with my coworkers on that and they seem to think that they are auto-locking hubs so adding manual hubs wouldn't provide any advantage since they're supposedly unlocked when not in 4WD. I'll kick up the axle and see if they spin the stub shaft or not. If they are just a slug, then I'll change them out. I have a set handy.

I got the dog dishes, just didn't want to keep popping them on/off when working on it for now.

mccustomize

Explorer
I have no qualms cutting fenders for clearance, always prefer a lower COG. It will likely get an add-a-leaf to the front to help later. It does have rear A/C, just need to see if the system is leaking and determine if it's been retrofit to R134 or if it's still at R12. Lower priority now that the weather is finally cooling off.

As for the hubs, i've been discussing with my coworkers on that and they seem to think that they are auto-locking hubs so adding manual hubs wouldn't provide any advantage since they're supposedly unlocked when not in 4WD. I'll kick up the axle and see if they spin the stub shaft or not. If they are just a slug, then I'll change them out. I have a set handy.

I got the dog dishes, just didn't want to keep popping them on/off when working on it for now.

You could always do the ORD EZ inch, it actually bolts into the leaf pack and you can move the axle forward as well as gaining an inch of lift.

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/Zero Rates.htm

mccustomize

Explorer
I was more getting at the moving the axle forward part of the zero rates. Then you would get the tires out of the fenders. However if you ordered custom leafs you could get offset pins and move it forward as well.

AlexCold

Observer
yes good points. I think I will go with manual hubs at some point, very easy swap, but I don't need it just yet.

There aren't any adapters but who knows? Our goal is to vacuum it first to find out if it's leaking somewhere. I wish I could keep it R12 though.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
There was an electric shop here that had literally dozens of Forestry trucks,Bronco's,Blazer K5's and Suburbans. He bought them at auction. Green color courtesy of the US government
I had my eye on an '89 TBI,4-speed manual 3/4 ton. A/C,rollup windows,bench seats etc. Plain Jane just the way you like it.
Choked and didn't get one.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Nice looking rig Alex. I love those old Burbs. Too bad you did not get the 70s Burb but this a cool rig too. Please post some more pics of your build as we all want to follow what you are doing. Cheers, Chilli...:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles