Blueberry Supreme - '86 K20 Suburban

AlexCold

Observer
All right. Finished up the new heater core install and insulated the front floor with Fat Mat, reflectix and a heat barrier from Amazon similar to the reflectix but more dense. It does seem to keep the heat down, unfortunately I don’t have much data.

Took it out for a drive and then decided to do some “wheelin” out in the desert behind the house. Nothing hard but the first time engaging 4wd in the dirt since I bought it. Handled everything great and I found my limits in rear departure angles. Took the boy out in the evening too.

be8c794ae62d17f0ec084e6a878b23cb.jpg

2472864797e713a608cb2f44b5d7750c.jpg

390a23142b1140f625191d82882201b9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlexCold

Observer
There was an electric shop here that had literally dozens of Forestry trucks,Bronco's,Blazer K5's and Suburbans. He bought them at auction. Green color courtesy of the US government
I had my eye on an '89 TBI,4-speed manual 3/4 ton. A/C,rollup windows,bench seats etc. Plain Jane just the way you like it.
Choked and didn't get one.

Oh yeah, one of those would have been sweet! Hard to find here in AZ. Never choke man, i've stopped doing that ever since I missed out on a $300 Triumph Spitfire that was in crazy good shape.

AlexCold

Observer
Nice looking rig Alex. I love those old Burbs. Too bad you did not get the 70s Burb but this a cool rig too. Please post some more pics of your build as we all want to follow what you are doing. Cheers, Chilli...:)

Thanks Chilli! A prefer the 70s front end as well, but I'll take what becomes available.

Wilbah

Adventurer
That's really awesome! Love the ride. I'm sure you'll have a great time with the family in it.

For my $0.02 I would do the locking hubs. They paid for themselves in my 79 Chevy pickup in short order with better mileage. I can't remember if the system is the same for disengagement of the hub in '86 or not but the originals (in the 79) stayed "engaged" most of the time (albeit not under power obviously). Just make sure you put the gear in the transfer case on correctly. It fits in either direction but only engages properly when in correctly. Which is embatrasing when you purposely get the truck stuck to show off the new locking hubs and then find engaging the hubs does nothing. Ask me how I know. Haha. *rolling eyes*

AlexCold

Observer
Haven’t been doing anything crazy or photogenic. I’m terrible at taking photos while doing projects.

Currently installing some wiring to install some auxiliary flood lighting to improve the front and rear area lighting. I purchased some lights from Amazon and two wiring kits. I’ll take some photos tomorrow with some more explanation of what I’m doing.

I also ordered a universal 3 point seatbelt to test out for the 2nd row seat. The burb only has lap belts in the rear which is a nono for the little guys booster seat. Hopefully installing those this weekend

AlexCold

Observer
Just make sure you put the gear in the transfer case on correctly. It fits in either direction but only engages properly when in correctly.

Do you happen to know which way that is. I went to try out some Superwinch hubs I had lying around from some other project and they don’t retain themselves like I would like so I reinstalled the auto hubs. Must have done something wrong because they stay locked now. I need to remove them and try’s again or just order the warns.

AlexCold

Observer
It's been a while, but I haven't given up on the old girl.

Installed Warn Manual Hubs. Went on great and no issues though I will say they're not exactly how they used to be.

Also removed the grandpa steps. I loved them because they gave my wife (who's short) and 4 year old an easy way to get in, but they were killing ground clearance.

Gained nearly 4" at the rockers.

Before:
40265473381_3d46d04c5a_c.jpg

After:
40265472121_c75fa85cc5_c.jpg

Looks better too.
26393079388_a6bb1ba8f9_c.jpg

I'm getting ready to go to TDS Desert Safari in a couple of weeks so i'm doing my best to make it reliable for the trip (only 1.5 hours away). Camp in the Sub for the night or two I'm there.

AlexCold

Observer
I also purchased the DIY4X A-bomb bumper center.

Stock Photo:
a-bomb%202.png

It will do a lot of things for me. First provide a good winch and recovery point for the front of the truck. Second, provide suspension options further down the line. I doubt this truck will turn into a serious crawler, but with it replacing the front spring mount I can use longer springs up front (52s/56s). And finally it will provide a good base to build a complete bumper from. I'm a fan of the ORD tube bumper but the flexibility this provides increases the value. It's a 4 week turnover but hopefully arrives in time to install before Desert Safari.

I can't wait to install it and hopefully not snowball into a bunch of other modifications (2" lift springs, 35" tires, etc).

I plan to build a rear bumper as well with a tire carrier and fuel/water can carrier. This I really want to have before DS, since I don't want to carry fuel in the cab and the larger tire I have now doesn't fit in the stock location. Any suggestions?

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Awesome! Excited to see the A-Bomb install. It’s on my interest list.

One thing I have read about a 52 swap is that caster can be an issue, so you may want to have some degree shims on hand. Your steering linkage may be affected as well, so plan on addressing that. Not sure about driveshaft length. Can’t remember if the 52’s push the axle forward. I guess you can use axle plates to move it back if it does.

Do you know if the A-Bomb allows for mounting of stock length springs? I see that it has multiple mounting holes, just curious if one of those settings will work with a stock spring.

Brad

AlexCold

Observer
Do you know if the A-Bomb allows for mounting of stock length springs? I see that it has multiple mounting holes, just curious if one of those settings will work with a stock spring.

I won't be going with the 52s just yet. I'm going to buy the Tuff Country 2" "soft" springs #18270. So yes, the A-bomb allows you to use your stock springs. Using longer springs will push the axle forward, approximately 2" with the 52" and adds a 4" lift. I want to stay as low as possible right now. 2" is plenty for me.

AlexCold

Observer
I purchased this DIY custom bumper kit to make the tire/fuel carrier.

R2126-full.jpg

I think 3"x6" rectangle tube will be my base 3/16" wall. Then use some 3/16" plate to make the side plates, with some 3/4" recovery points all the way through. I'll draw something up.

AlexCold

Observer
3"x6"x.188" tube for the main tube. 3/16" plate for the frame mounts and 3/4" shackle mount welded all the way through and will be made longer to also have one bolt through it as well.

25440354247_32c68f5706_c.jpg

38502210630_8e52d05a41_c.jpg

This is with a 35" tire (can fit up to a 39") and with 3 fuel cans (I'm not 100% sure how I want to build the platform for them).

25440353807_26cf3d1dcd_c.jpg

25440353367_56ea17110d_c.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles