Blueberry Supreme - '86 K20 Suburban

AlexCold

Observer
I'd choose a 1979 if I could and swap a 6.0/6l90. That's what's in my van and it would be hard to go back to anything else since it has plenty of power and good mileage. It moves my 7400lb van no problem and a Suburban of that era is at least 2000 lbs lighter.

I agree, a 6.0/6L90 is a better option for a powertrain. I just meant if I was looking for a stock package truck a 1991 K20 Sub has what I want (FI, OD, Solid Axles). Dream suburban would be a 6.0/6L90/ORD Magnum/205 with D60/14BFF on 38" tires with only about 4" of lift.

AlexCold

Observer
So more info regarding the white suburban. It's a 2001 Suburban 2500 with the 6.0/4L80E and about 163K miles. It's not perfect, but it has some better features for my intended use of such a vehicle (DD/Family Adventure). So far I haven't found any mechanically troubling issues. I'm going to add tires and perform general maintenance and drive it. If there aren't any glaring issues, I will then transition my work on the blue suburban to this. While i like simpler rigs, the added safety features and comfort of this newer vehicle are things I can't pass up. If I find that I don't like the white suburban, I'll either sell it or remove the engine/trans and use them in the blue suburban. Either way, I win!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
There has been a development.

aadcad9fa537b36a6366a8c2a478c22b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a good looking beast you got there, congrats on the new adventure rig.

AlexCold

Observer
this development does not please me

How so? "Worst" case scenario I'm doing an LS/4l80e swap on the suburban! Seriously though, I like squarebodies (and I'll try to find a single cab to have fun with) but the newer Sub just suits what I want out of a vehicle. Plus I'm trying to prolong selling the 86 until my wife forgets we planned on selling it...

AlexCold

Observer
That's a good looking beast you got there, congrats on the new adventure rig.

Thank you sir. Trying to fight the urge to buy huge tires and a lift kit. If I go big tires, I'm going SAS, so I can do some serious rock crawling in Moab. Though the guys at work tell me they do completely fine in Moab stock.

El Gordo

EL Gordo
this development does not please me

What he said ^^^

Seriously, nice truck. Even my favorite color!

I have a 86 K10 'burb. All stock for now, it came with 33's. Needs a tranny, the 700r4 died. Thinking hard about going with a manual.

AlexCold

Observer
What he said ^^^

All right All right, you've all guilted me into it. I'll keep the Burb, just don't tell the wife. But seriously, all this means is for the mean time I'm putting this project on hold. It wheels awesome as it sits, it's just not as fun for long trips due to the lack of an OD.

El Gordo, keep the 33"s plenty of tire for most of the things you'll do. Once you wear them out think about going bigger. A manual trans is fun, and cheaper but I just hate replacing clutches and shifting my own gears (lazy I know) while off roading.

Last edited:

Darkrider

Adventurer
Interesting project for sure. However i do have a note when it comes to the A bomb bumper. It will work with stock length front springs...however it will not work with stock front springs as they are wider then the 52"

Direct quote from DIY4X as i had asked this exact question for my own build.

"Stock length, yes. Stock width No. The factory springs are meant for a 3.5” inside dimension on the hanger. Our hanger is 3” on the inside for the rear springs."

Now that does not mean that it cannot be done as i am sure one could order the Abomb to accept the stock springs.

AlexCold

Observer
Interesting project for sure. However i do have a note when it comes to the A bomb bumper. It will work with stock length front springs...however it will not work with stock front springs as they are wider then the 52"

Direct quote from DIY4X as i had asked this exact question for my own build.

"Stock length, yes. Stock width No. The factory springs are meant for a 3.5” inside dimension on the hanger. Our hanger is 3” on the inside for the rear springs."

Now that does not mean that it cannot be done as i am sure one could order the Abomb to accept the stock springs.

Thanks for the info, that's something I forgot about. I knew the springs are wider at the ends but I forgot to think about it with the ABomb. That's a good enough excuse for me to get some 2" lift springs and eventually bigger tires!

Darkrider

Adventurer
Thanks for the info, that's something I forgot about. I knew the springs are wider at the ends but I forgot to think about it with the ABomb. That's a good enough excuse for me to get some 2" lift springs and eventually bigger tires!

No problem, Glad that ya got the info now before you were well into installing it and finding that surprise out the hard way.

AlexCold

Observer
Ok, I'm making the hard decision to sell this awesome vehicle. I've got too many projects, and I feel bad seeing this thing parked not being driven. If anyone one is interested in a relatively clean, low mileage K20 Suburban, I'm open to reasonable offers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94