D.I.Y Shower Options

Mcarpenito89

Adventurer
Hey guys wanted to see what everyone is doing for showers on their van. I've had a few ideas on ways to make them with the hose and suction cup off the back doors , but haven't set anything in stone yet. What is everyone doing ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I plan to make a PVC surf style shower. I first saw people with these in Costa Rica and on the west coast, and after coming off the beach it's awesome to be able to rinse off. With one of the little coil hoses, or maybe a soft expanding hose, you could probably set up a quick curtain with magets and fashion a great shower spot between the open back doors of the van.

(pic below is not me, stolen from the web. ;) )

video-undefined-1D247A4200000578-288_636x358.jpg

Mcarpenito89

Adventurer
I plan to make a PVC surf style shower. I first saw people with these in Costa Rica and on the west coast, and after coming off the beach it's awesome to be able to rinse off. With one of the little coil hoses, or maybe a soft expanding hose, you could probably set up a quick curtain with magets and fashion a great shower spot between the open back doors of the van.

(pic below is not me, stolen from the web. ;) )

video-undefined-1D247A4200000578-288_636x358.jpg

Have you seen this ?

https://www.thewaterport.com very cool unit , 3.3 gallons just isn't enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
21 gallon tank under my bed w/ 20lb propane tank, Eccotemp L5 mounted on the side door and I use my side doors as walls with a shower curtain spanning between them.

Gtdad

Adventurer
Propane tank mounted inside your vehicle is really bad idea. It is against gas fitter code in most places that why they are mounted under vehicles. I have had a tank valve fail it is very scary. Inside it will build up and potentially ignite when you remote unlock or something else. I have work in a mobile film catering kitchen for the last 20 years and deal with propane systems on a daily basis.. That scares the heck out of me.
Two things that don't belong inside a vehicle with out sealed enclosures to the interior and venting to outside are propane and lead acid batteries. Nitric gas from a overcharged malfunction battery system is very lethal.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Well... you're going to be disappointed with many of us, might as well click a different thread lol

86scotty

Cynic
I have had one of the propane instant hot water heaters and It was dismal at best. It constantly surged between cold and scalding water and it was messy. Then, in a very light freeze, maybe 30?, it busted inside somewhere. I've never had anything freeze in my climate but this wasn't even really cold AND you can't drain these things completely! It wasn't hooked up to water, it just had water trapped in it somewhere. I'd rather go with a real propane RV furnace that can be drained. It's big and bulky and requires a hole in your van but if you like steady water that you can rely on I see no better way.

PVC ideas for you. I've built a few.

IMG_2509 by Eric Arendale, on Flickr

IMG_2510 by Eric Arendale, on Flickr

IMG_2511 by Eric Arendale, on Flickr

IMG_2512 by Eric Arendale, on Flickr

IMG_2513 by Eric Arendale, on Flickr

IMG_2515 by Eric Arendale, on Flickr

This is about $40 of materials. The shower head is from a long arm plant watering attachment for a hose. The weird star pattern of tape on the shower head is my ghetto way of slowing down the water for a longer shower. It works well. I can get a couple of nice showers out of it. I also have a quick coupler with about 3' of hose and a sink sprayer on the end for washing hands and dishes.

Last edited:
Very cool, thanks for sharing! Looks like you put a tire valve on the cap? Is that to pressurize the system? I'm wondering whether gravity will be sufficient or if I need to do the same.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I like the gravity system, it never stops working!

I just don't know how I survived in my VWs and the Army Jeeps/trucks with lead acid batteries under my seat all those years I could have been killed. Now, propane unvented inside, I have to agree, a vented steel enclosure would work. :)

Edited: Forgot, I got one of those 6 gal weed sprayers at HF, pump it up and it sprays, thought I'd change the nozzle and mount the wand for the kitchen tub or shower, has anyone used these?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz