TASTEY 2017- A North Rim of the Grand Canyon... thing

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Good morning, it was pretty cool considering we knew it would be in the triple digits later. I knew we wanted to make tracks to higher ground ASAP.

After making some breakfast we let Kevin know we were going to start putting up the hill and check out a side road to a cabin we knew was there. With our Ham radio linking us to Kevin we headed out.
The side road to the cabin is relatively short. This spot has natural rock tanks that hold water coupled with a cement wall it can hold enough water for earlier settlers livestock.

This was a decent cabin. Not like the adopt a cabins of Death Valley and the Mojave, but still a nice cabin with old artifacts.
xfuollxdjeugp6bmrbsg.jpg

ovakmdsgzagraj6nalzw.jpg

lbf15dijlnmrb7hee9os.jpg

We enjoyed our mini side trip and knew that this road goes much further, but that's for another day. Back at the main road we still had some time to hang out and wait for Kevin so we watched the helicopters flying loads of rafters to and from their jumping off point.

uiua2hhut8hmqoyueknc.jpg

We stopped off at the Mt. Trumbull School house. It's a copy of the one that burnt down, but it's still got a lot of history of the area in it and is worth the stop.
ay0se9hauknt1jrdyxgu.jpg

I love 3d maps!
k0nbguruc6ah1fd2yxrq.jpg

jll4mn0ost5aodw1o11q.jpg

oam199gcymzohhmnzdnu.jpg

We headed up to the high point of the dirt road near Mt. Trumbull where there is a Forest Service Cabin. Cabin isn't really the right word as it's more of a compound. The big cabin sleeps 15 or 20 people comfortably.

Sidebar Story:
The reason I know about this cabin is from the mapping days. We'd put in a long couple of weeks so the local BLM head decided to give us a little treat and said we should take a day off and stay at the Mt Trumbull cabin. So, he handed us a key and off we went from St. George. An hour or so later we got to the cabin. It was impressive looking. As we pulled up the excitement grew! The problem was the key... it didn't work.

It didn't even fit in the lock. There were signs from the FBI about video monitoring and felony entering a Government installation etc. We KNEW we were supposed to be here, we mapped for living so we all knew we were at the right place... So, we jumped the fence and decided we needed to find a way into the cabin. So, I found a window on the back that opened and crawled in. I let everyone else in from there. We were good to go, right! We got a fire going in the big fire pit outside and sat around telling stories.
Until she showed up... She was a Forest Ranger with gun drawn down on us. 100% sure she'd caught some people breaking into a government cabin. What took place over the next hour was us telling our true story and her not believing us. After all, we'd jumped a fence so we could all see why she didn't.
A couple folks in our group were decided to be the most diplomatic and so they went off with her to show her their ID's and give the phone number of the BLM officials that gave us access, but the wrong key. Too bad there was no cell service. She looked at the puny key we gave her and said “This doesn't even look CLOSE to the right key. It's a mailbox key. The BLM folks wouldn't make that kind of mistake!”

Here we are being held at the end of a gun. A group of 8 or so who were all armed or had sidearms in our truck, but we didn't want to make the Forest Ranger any more nervous so we tried to tell her what she would see as we opened the door of the truck to get our ID. After lots of explaining and professing the truth, a little white pickup truck raced to the fence. It was a low level kid from the BLM Office in St. George. “Sorry, SORRY, we gave you the wrong key!”
And with that, our Forest Service Ranger relaxed, put away her sidearm and we all drank some beers around the fire pit. Phew!

...okay, back to the present day!

We took a break in the tall pines before heading onward. We had some ground to cover, but at least we were staying nice and high in elevation tonight! This point was “new to me” so I was extra excited to check it out. With fingers crossed no one would be there we arrived.
Ever drive around a tight parking garage and start to feel your arms getting tired? The trail ahead was like a 1,000 turn parking garage. Half of which were lock to lock turns. We'd stop for a second to rest and chat on the radio about how insane this was laughing out loud. We'd already had a couple long days so we were beat. Every single bush or tree we turned around and around. You can spot the difference in a mining road vs a road made to see a view. The mining road would have uprooted every tree in the way and been fairly straight.
Finally, after an hour of this we popped out of the trees to see this. It was well worth the effort and time.
qko9enajvkvkovn4vb9a.jpg

jop0b8z43khxyxlg4yr6.jpg

ojtsrhuoshdmt5vewhbg.jpg

rcluhuvaayeepqreemdd.jpg

ktbh3zlbwhhtrmqprjfn.jpg

This spot was epic in every way. We had a nice breeze coming up and out of the canyon so we set up the Alucab Awnings leg and guidewires just so I could stop worrying about breaking our new toy.
oknatvxjkcliemgqww9c.jpg

piwyy3rkt7dj8xoxqk9h.jpg

SOAZ

This was one of those vistas where you just stare off into the distance. It’s overwhelming. The seperation from the cold river below was so immense it was hard to believe we were just swimming in it the day before.
gwpvr1uw95kpwq0h3fps.jpg

fhw50s5jy2bttdwe9fbb.jpg

exgbjf16zx55eb8b2i98.jpg

orjjist7uremqim6z70m.jpg

We were beat, so completely beat. We cracked open the whiskey and shared some with Kevin while his daughter made each of us a painting of the sunset or a monster or was it a hippo. I think it was abstract art.

Honestly, how can you not project feelings on a truck when it brings you to places like this. How can you not love Goose.
wadukjxpes2ypt0vc5z5.jpg

oagyktvemcc82az3tpeq.jpg

“Good night Kevin!” -Tim
“My mouth feels like I ate a Mesquite tree!” -Kevin

“You like it that whiskey, don’t you” -Tim

“Yaaaaaah” -Kevin
Good night, thanks for reading along.

Tim
yuwgxc2qmxtmt3vog7gh.jpg

SOAZ

A little video of day 1. I'm working on the last day of the trip as we speak.

SOAZ

Good morning!

None of us wanted to leave this beautiful point.
uiyopk4l9sbikt4cgusp.jpg

On our way back to the main dirt road we took some “short cuts” and it led us into a back entrance to someones settlement etc. It was pretty interesting.
gxuywb1gv1dktw2xpof1.jpg

Soon after we hit some silt that rivaled the worst I'd seen in baja. It was brutal. It was coming up and over the hood and somewhere inside Goose was a leak that caused the inside of the truck to begin getting hazy with dust. I knew Kevin must have dropped back so we just keep plugging away and got to a nicer road to wait for him.
gu7li348ngudoochligf.jpg

ijz6pvkg81l3lmhrxped.jpg

From here we kept heading to nicer and nicer dirt roads. Then we got to pavement. Usually hitting pavement is a sad moment, the end of the trip, but we'd resolved that today we wouldn't be letting that happen. Kevin had to head home, but we decided we were going to get closer to home and stay on dirt.

We met up in Flagstaff, AZ for a burger and to say good bye and then we headed towards Sedona looking for dirt!
The moment we hit dirt we knew something was wrong. The first pull out had a wrecked and overturned popup trailer with trash piled on top of it. As we drove further out this road it was either abandoned campsites with trash left or a tarp city with “non-camper” folk at it. It must have been due to the holiday weekend that non-campers decided to invade the woods to camp. It looked like 75% of them believe there was some sort of trash cleanup service in the National Forest.
My blood was boiling. After having such a great trip I knew we'd have to drive long and far to get back to a place where I felt remote. We drove and drove. I felt like each mile between me and the pavement helped to cleanse the views I'd seen from my mind. Once we were an hour in I felt a bit better. Now, we were seeing normal-ish campsites. A tent and some gear. No heaps of trash. Still, we had to go further.

I guess this is a sign we should turn here?
dplv6uwcnoa8gm8gmnt1.jpg

Eventually, we found a point that seemed to have no tracks. The grass was high. I noticed that the topos had this trail on it, but visually it was hard to notice it was there. We pulled out to the end of the point and new we'd found home for the night. We where exhausted.

wepb7tyiom2vt9ananti.jpg

mex78c6w3zqudjqmm6au.jpg

Looking through the thick growth was quite a view.

jzw1tqsgalqko04dn0fh.jpg

lehkr3ajokvyg9oejf3l.jpg

kr69yvqricqytvp5myjd.jpg

rlq1wnjksebby8sassq4.jpg

We called it a night early. Something about seeing so much trash and so much disrespect for the places I love got me down. We just need to go more remote, I told myself. The solution is always, more remote...

The next morning I wanted to get moving early. I knew that getting off of the dirt roads before the masses of slow lumbering vehicles would be key. We headed down into Sedona and after realizing how early it was decided that this is about the only time one of the most popular trails in America wouldn't be busy!
ba8fwg5gvzfaajsadfqw.jpg

We turned on the video camera and ran through Broken Arrow trail. It's sort of an old friend. Every vehicle I have owned has done the trail. This was Goose's first time. As a kid of about 5 we did a family trip to Sedona and I remember riding in one of the Pink Jeep tours along redrock. It may have been Broken Arrow for all I know.

Being early it was nice and quiet... well quiet for this trail. I only had to backup into a pullout and let someone coming the other way by 10 or 12 times. The jeep tours were out doing their first morning run, but if you know this trail, you still consider that quiet. Sadly, on the "steps" Kelsey took a spill and that was the end of our camera not to mention a bit of skin. These things happen, time to hunt for a new camera.
dgfua1cxw0vj9qvemqkr.jpg

With that, we got back on pavement. Tires still aired up from the day before. It was finally time to admit the trip was over and head home. We'd packed in a lot, we were exhausted. I didn't mind heading home.

Thanks for coming along. Until next time!
Tim

SOAZ

Part 4 encompasses 2 days as we head from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, through Flagstaff, AZ and on to camp in Sedona and then over Broken Arrow trail and home.
Also, I can’t describe how exciting it was to receive our first Patron this morning. Kevin, you know who you are. $1 never seemed so hard earned. I’ve never appreciated a simple gesture so much. Thank you.

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
Great vid series..and trip report. Sub'ed on YT.

Thanks for the inspiration to check out the AZ backcountry.

:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles