High Mileage Worries?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Hey guys, my truck just ticked over 245K on the odo. Wondering what everyones thoughts are as far as worrying about breakdowns or problems while out in the wild?

I change the oil every 3k and change other fluids regularly. I feel fairly confident with my truck...it has a few problems being as old as it is. Still having a 4x4 problem where my truck will only shift into 4x4 when she's feeling good about herself. It seems to work when I am not on dirt and then as soon as I get onto dirt it doesn't work. I've been keeping to trails and areas with more people in case I do have a breakdown and I haven't gone anywhere new in a long long time due to my worries of breaking down. I Really want to take a trip to Baja in early September for a few days and I'd hate to be stranded on a beach (kind of) and not able to get home and back to work.

Just wondering everyones thoughts and if a high mileage vehicle has stopped you from going new places?

eggman918

Adventurer
Normal 'wear parts' in the suspension/drive train like bearings,ball joints,U joints and bushings. Anything under the truck or in the engine compartment that is rubber based is could be getting near the end of it's service life as well as the bearings in accessories like the alternator, Power steering pump and in tank fuel pump ect... just think of all the components that have moving parts that are original to the truck could well be getting "long in the tooth" .

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Hey guys, my truck just ticked over 245K on the odo. Wondering what everyones thoughts are as far as worrying about breakdowns or problems while out in the wild?

I change the oil every 3k and change other fluids regularly. I feel fairly confident with my truck...it has a few problems being as old as it is. Still having a 4x4 problem where my truck will only shift into 4x4 when she's feeling good about herself. It seems to work when I am not on dirt and then as soon as I get onto dirt it doesn't work. I've been keeping to trails and areas with more people in case I do have a breakdown and I haven't gone anywhere new in a long long time due to my worries of breaking down. I Really want to take a trip to Baja in early September for a few days and I'd hate to be stranded on a beach (kind of) and not able to get home and back to work.

Just wondering everyones thoughts and if a high mileage vehicle has stopped you from going new places?

I bet it's an easy fix, have you taken the time to diagnose and research the issue?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Normal 'wear parts' in the suspension/drive train like bearings,ball joints,U joints and bushings. Anything under the truck or in the engine compartment that is rubber based is could be getting near the end of it's service life as well as the bearings in accessories like the alternator, Power steering pump and in tank fuel pump ect... just think of all the components that have moving parts that are original to the truck could well be getting "long in the tooth" .

I feel I am pretty good at that type of maintenance but you do bring up a few good points. I am more worried about a catastrophic failure that cant be fixed with a simple run to the parts store. I know that is technically out of my control but it weighs heavily on my mind.

I bet it's an easy fix, have you taken the time to diagnose and research the issue?

Yes, I have. Unfortunately I've always had some weird electrical gremlin that causes weird but minor electrical issues. I also, unfortunately, have the electronic shifter and the computer on top of the transfer case that receives the command to shift to 4x4 is the problem. I have had it replaced about 3 times now and the part is expensive so I kind of don't want to spend the money. The first time it was replaced it fried right away upon starting the truck, Second time it stopped working when I was in deep sand in Anza Borrego, The one I am currently on is the hormonal one and only shifts when it wants. I assume it has something to do with the electrical gremlin.

As far as the electrical problem, I've had mechanics go through everything and try to diagnose it but I have not found a mechanic that can find the problem. An example of problems I constantly have is my passenger headlight. Either the bulb goes out or every month or so. Simple fix of course but still a problem.

Thanks for the responses.

bdp1978

Adventurer
Ive only had 1 vehicle that I have run to that kind of mileage. A 1997 Tahoe that I ran to 300k......it only left me stranded once and that was a fuel pump. I was meticulous on maintenance though and never hesitated to travel with it. Replaced all of the wear parts through the years and a new 4x4 actuator but LOVED that truck. Still had original engine and tranny when I sold it.

p nut

butter
Just go! Sounds like you at least keep up on maintenance. As long as they're up to date, just go and enjoy. If things go south, well then, as Yvon once said, you've got yourself a proper adventure.

Clutch

<---Pass
Broken record here...don't read this Ryan! I know it drives ya nutz!

...just ticked over 350K, don't quite trust it like I used to, keep on thinking any day there is going to be a catastrophic failure, yet still head out.... I am super OCD about maintenance, anything breaks I fix it immediately...yes it has broken down, dead in the water and needed a tow, but every time it has been close to home, last major thing was a fuel pump, failed 2 miles from the house. A week earlier I was out in the back country of the Idaho mountains above Stanley....a loooong way from help or even a cell signal. (do carry a Spot) Somehow it knows not to strand me out there, and does it close to the house.

I worry, but think it worries the better half more than me (I'll just extend my camping trip, if/when it fails ;) ) She said I am getting a new truck next year whether I like it or not...

Last edited:

Lykos

Super Trucker
I bought a 96 k1500 Burn with 249000 miles on it a couple years ago. It's given me basic high mileage issues with sensors, u joints, dist cap and rotor, shocks etc.

My opinion is you replace things that will leave you stranded at the end of their expected life cycle and everything else when it breaks
Drivetrain and the engine will usually advertise that they're about to go. So, unless you have a problem you don't have a problem.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Such a repeated problem with an electric-/solenoid-controlled mechanism, I'd either find a solution to make it manual/mechanical, or I'd quit using the vehicle away from civilization. That's the sort of breakdown/stranded situation that can leave you dead, in the desert southwest.

I'd also be taking additional steps to clean up or replace any ground strap and connector issues. Cleaning a sealing whatever connections I could. Gremlins can be killed.
Chased an ignition failure on my '85 C-10 for well over a year, a problem that would randomly kill the motor or prevent starting it, resulting in several tows and trips to mechanics plural. Finally came down to a faulty spark-retarder computer. 'Dealer' solution was to disconnect it and jumper the related terminals on the HEI distributor ignition control module. I was about ready to sell the vehicle off, by the time they figured out that 'fix'.

As to other high mileage or reliability woes, that's why I started the Vortec-related topic, in my sig

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
The buddy system always works! We were on the Mohave Road when I sucked some water in my intake and hydro-locked; kicking a rod out the side. Even in a new truck, if you spend a lot of time offroad, sooner or later you will suffer some sort of breakdown. If I was alone, I would have had to hike out or wait for someone to come by. That's why you should always carry tools, supplies, and rescue gear.

1107or-09+rage-at-the-river+towing.jpg

p nut

butter
A week earlier I was out in the back country of the Idaho mountains above Stanley....a loooong way from help or even a cell signal. (do carry a Spot) ...

Good tip. I'd certainly take proper precautionary measures, especially when headed to deep backcountry, as well. Something like a Spot or Delorme would be good to have. As well as extra food, water, etc. Regardless of the age of the vehicle, make sure you're prepared.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Good tip. I'd certainly take proper precautionary measures, especially when headed to deep backcountry, as well. Something like a Spot or Delorme would be good to have. As well as extra food, water, etc. Regardless of the age of the vehicle, make sure you're prepared.

Waiting for my Spot contract to run out, and I am getting DeLorme. I do not like being able to say exactly what the problem is. Couple weekends ago we were clearing trail cutting blow downs. 90º and wearing waaay too much gear running saws and moving logs. I got heat stroke, had to lay in the weeds for an hour and a half to recoup....there was a point where I thought I was going to have to hit the SAR button, but managed to pull it together and crawl out. Have a mild heart condition that I had since I was a kid, that causes me to run hot...so I know better...wanted to be on the trail by 6:00 am and done by Noon...but we didn't get on the trail until 11:00. Wasn't too happy about it, but I gave it a go anyways...

And I am on a nearly new bike, no worries about a mechanical failure...but man... the heat sure snuck up on me.

19748586_10155544110099630_382683289479260415_n.jpg

19657097_10155544110299630_2805911983873627253_n.jpg

Views were worth it though...there is a trail in this pic sumwheres...about the middle of the pic.

19748846_10155544112434630_5958132559132381697_n.jpg

Last edited:

p nut

butter
Mech problems are one thing. Health issues? Yeah, be careful out there.
-
I didn't know this until now, but Delorme has been bought out by Garmin. I like the Freedom plan that lets you use it when you need it. $15/month.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Thanks for all the responses, guys. I would love to use the buddy system but none of my friends are into overlanding and exploring quite like we are. Maybe I'll do a group run sometime.

Anyways, thanks again. I'll keep up with the maintenance and not be a wimp and just go explore. Also, I'm going to look into a SPOT or something similar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online