Regular RTT vs. Trailer specific RTT

What are the pros. and cons of a trailer specific RTT vs.a regular ol RTT. I currently have a Howlingmoon 1.6 Stargazer with awning. I'm thinking of switching to a trailer based rtt due to not having to build a lift system to use the awning and the tent ones seem to be a little bigger. My other option is to mount the 1.6 on my trailer and build a lift system to properly use the lift system.

brentbba

Explorer
I think you've answered your own question when you mention not having to build a lift system. If your regular RTT doesn't have or you don't use a vestibule, then it shouldn't be a big deal at all to just use your regular RTT. If, however, you do have a vestibule, like the ARB Simpson III, or all it's knockoffs, or a RTT with a vestibule under the fold out portion of the sleeping platform, then you'll have a very short area under your tent for the vestibule. I had a trailer with an Eezi-Awn Globetrotter that's designed for a trailer. Loved it. I left the vestibule on so unfolding the tent was all that was needed.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Somehow I wound up with both. I like my trailer/Globetrotter with vestibule for daytime. It's a good place to hang out when it's rainy, good place to store gear you use throughout the day, a good place for siestas, to change clothes, and to put a porta potty if you take female company. But, I like to sleep in a hardshell on top of the rig. Feels more secure. I can store all the pillows and bedding I want up there permanently too. The doors also zip closed and I don't worry about the dog getting bumped out at night while I toss and turn.

If I had to choose one, it would be the one on top of the rig with an awning. That makes taking the trailer optional. If I were in your position and already had a nice RTT, I'd check into having someone make a system to mount an awning with a wall set on your trailer (or other rig). You'd still get a lot of the positives above with an enclosed room and wouldn't have to cough up another couple grand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier