Empire, Colorado: Red Elephant Hill, Mill Creek, and Bill Moore Lake in July 2017

SAS

Observer
Another adventurous weekend with friends from Meetup/trailsoffroad in Denver. This was a day trip to shoot new photos and video in order to update trail guides on Red Elephant Hill, Mill Creek, and Bill Moore Lake roads.

Our group was small, only three rigs; a Jeep TJ, a well-built Tacoma, and me in the trusty FJ60. Unfortunately, two who had RSVP'd "affirmative" dropped out on Friday.

I visited this area for the first time in June, 2008, on a short vacation from the Kansas City area. The Bill Moore Lake road was closed due to snow then, so I was very excited this time to be able to see it---it certainly didn't disappoint!

By late afternoon, we had been windswept and rained upon--perfect conditions for some homemade soup at Jenny's in Empire!

000_0008.JPG
000_0001.JPG
000_0020.JPG
000_0023.JPG

Bill Moore Lake by trailsoffroad (3:12)

Last edited:

unkamonkey

Explorer
Nice trip. I grew up in Arvada and spent many days in that area traveling with family in our old '62 Suburban with the wiener dog and my Black Lab. Is the Lewis Sweet shop still open in Empire? We always had to stop for a bag of salt water taffy.

SAS

Observer
Yes, I believe that the Lewis Sweet shop is still open in Empire! This was only my second trip there (first time in 2008), so I'm not well informed about Empire, but I will visit again!

unkamonkey

Explorer
I hope they put out the same product. 50 years ago if we were close we had to stop in for a bag of salt water taffy. I've been though there a few times in the past decade and I've looked longingly at the shop. I was fat enough already and I didn't need a bag of sugar sitting next to me that I would attack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94